Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2016, 03:27 AM   #15
Community Administrator

You can't drive there. The short way to Port Aux Basque is approx. 96 miles and the Long way to Argentia is approx. 300 miles. It's an island . The ferry tunes are 5 hours and 14 hours respectively as I recall. I took the long one and got a berth as it was overnight and they don't allow you to stay in your RV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Driving around instead of taking the ferry is another 5 full days of driving and 5 nights in a CG. Most MH's cost at least $1 per mile to operate. Made the ferry cheaper for our caravan because we got a group-rate, and gave us another 5 days in NL.

Cooncreakers, you'll find all current ferry information here: Marine Atlantic | Home
If you are considering trip insurance, this is one company: https://www.travelinsurancecenter.com/eng/index.cfm

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2016, 07:22 AM   #16

$360 one-way, not too bad. But, $1300 is another story
cooncreekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:26 AM   #17

We're going to be on the Cabot Trail and PEI in July and considered going to New Foundland until we saw the cost of the ferry. We were only going to be there for at most a week and couldn't justify the cost.
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:45 AM   #18
Community Administrator

Depending on the length of your rig including tow and if you take the shorter route and arrange for a berth on the overnight long route. It all adds up if you do it the way I did. Remember it's 400 miles wide. If you only take the shorter route , you'll have to double back.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:29 AM   #19

I think when we pull the 5 er up there, we will leave it and just take the truck over.take a long good looksee and then decide if its worth it at another visit.
cooncreekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:57 AM   #20

We spent just over 4 weeks in Newfoundland last summer. Must-do's: Western Brook Pond in Gros Morne (get reservations ahead of time!), Lanse Aux Meadows, puffins at Elliston. Regarding the French Islands off the coast, we, too, had planned on a day trip to St. Pierre. However, we were informed by multiple people (locals and visitors) that the individual who owns/operates the passenger ferry to get you there ALSO owns the hotel on the island, and only makes the run once a day, hence trapping you on the island and having to pay a lot to spend the night (good business plan for them...). We were also told the residents really weren't that welcoming so we opted to skip that portion. The car ferry to Labrador was fine - spent one night dry camping at Pinware PP. Very nice place to see. Also, potable water is an issue - since Newfoundland is mostly rock, they use a lot of surface water sources, resulting in boil orders. Filters aren't sufficient, unless you have a RO system. So we used filter, then added bleach, to make it potable. Found it helpful to carry an extra water carrier, to carry more potable water from those locations where we could obtain it. And the trip from Argentia back to Port Aux Basque isn't 5 days - maybe 2 extra nights if you are enjoying the time. ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:34 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
You can't drive there. The short way to Port Aux Basque is approx. 96 miles and the Long way to Argentia is approx. 300 miles. It's an island . The ferry tunes are 5 hours and 14 hours respectively as I recall. I took the long one and got a berth as it was overnight and they don't allow you to stay in your RV.
Good catch Cliff, thanks. I was thinking of visiting Labrador, returning to NL was the better option.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:21 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
We're currently making our way across Canada, heading for Newfoundland and the rest of the Canadian maritime provinces, from Vancouver, BC.

For those who have done the ferry ride already, did you make your ferry reservations there or ahead of time?
Old 06-01-2016, 08:26 AM   #23
Community Administrator

I did.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:54 PM   #24

Howdy!

When we went to Newfoundland three years ago I booked our crossings ahead of time 65' cost us just over $1,100.00. When we arrived at the ferry terminal I showed them our booking info and was asked how long we where. I stated 65 feet, and the response was we'll see. They first measured use with a wheel and stated we where 62 feet and I would get money back. Then they remesured use with a tape and it came out 64'11", I just said to them, I told you so. As I stated before we stayed three and a half months on the Rock long enough to get our monies worth out of the ferry ride. Was well worth the expense and a great trip. Will be going again someday.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:02 PM   #25

I made reservations to Port aux Basque from N. Sydney approx 3 to 4 weeks ahead of time, no issues. If you have some flexibility in your schedule you should be OK - you may need to take a day vs night crossing (we wanted daytime - actually enjoyed the boatride), or shift it a day or 2 either way. We didn't make our return reservation until we had actually been there for maybe 3 or 4 days, but again didn't have an issue getting what we wanted. ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote