Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2018, 01:41 PM   #1

Newmar Mountain Aire vs Allegro Bus A/C

Hello,

First time poster here. If I breach protocol or am in the wrong forum, please point me in the right direction.

I am looking to purchase a 2006 vintage 42' Newmar Mountain Aire or Allegro Bus. The Newmar has a 7500 genset and the Allegro Bus a 10K genset.

Our travel will include all of the US, from the humid east coast and south to the southwest desert and Rockies. Most of our travel will be during the warmer months of the year.

I notice the Newmar Mountain Aire only have 2 x 15K BTU air conditioners while the Allegro Bus have 3 x 15K BTU systems. We want to stay cool while traveling in the hotter climates.

My question is how well will 2 x 15K BTU systems cool the Newmar in the hotter climates during July & August.

And the same question for the 3 x 15K BTU systems for the Allegro?

Part of me says the more you have the more that can go wrong and part says more cooling is better.

Thank you.
Flying_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2018, 02:02 PM   #2

GenSet and Air Conditioning

With our coach we generally run the dash air that is engine driven. I leave the forward rooftop unit set to "On" and if the sun gets the cabin hotter than we want I fire up the genset (7.5 k) and run the forward air for little while. When parked the 50amp service will run the rooftops. Three 15k units is better than two 15k units. Maybe the Zone Controls are different. Also I am talking gas pusher. I don't even know if the pushers have Dash Air.

Sudsy

DW just reminded me. We found that running the defroster fans that are at both sides of the windshield up high really helps the dash air feel better.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:11 PM   #3

Both Newmar and Tiffin make great RVs. Two A/C will keep you cool, 3 will keep you cooler. (I’m assuming you are discussing a parked RV not the the dash air.) The most important thing is the floor plan and conditions of the RV. Yes with 3 you have one more that can break down but any of the 2 can break down as well.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:16 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I would go with the Allegro Bus.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:32 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome Flying W. I'm not sure which year Bus you are comparing to the 06 MADP.. Be aware, the Mountain Aire line made some significant changes between the 2006 and 2007 models. 1) Cummins ISM 450, Allison 4000, Spartan K2 chassis, and last but not least, Comfort Drive. The 45' 07's also have 3 AC's, 10K generator, and a total electric option. Nothing wrong with the 06's, just that they made big changes and the prices will reflect that as well.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:44 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Both good coaches that are well supported by the manufacturer and forum tribal knowledge.

Our previous coaches had two AC units. Barely or would not keep up on those hottest days. Current coach (Tiffin Phaeton) has three. Ahhh, works great. Plus a backup should one fail and you can still get by. We won't have another without three units.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:41 PM   #7

Let me say that we wish we had 3 a/c's for our 40'. We run 2 tower oscillating fans in addition to the 2 a/c's. If we were buying, 3 a/c's would be at the top of our must have
list.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:16 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have a '05 MADP with two AC's. Newmar promotes their insulation. We camped last summer in Palo Duro canyon that was 100+ without shade. We had no issues keeping cool. The Norcold was another story.

Tags
air, allegro, newmar