Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2015, 10:31 PM   #1

Newmar, Tiffin or other ?

Hi, I am about to buy my first MH. I expect to spend around $150'000 and want a Diesel with a spartan or Freightliner Chassis and Cummins or Cat Engine. I would prefer to buy an older, Quality built product rather than a cheaper new product.
From the research I have done I believe Newmar and Tiffin fit my requirements well. I would like your thoughts on purchasing a 5/6 year old Diesel Tiffin, Newmar or other. Do you recommend a Tag axle and is there anything problematic about either of these Manufacturers I should be aware of.
Thank you for your information.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2015, 10:37 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Check out the Tiffin RV Network if you haven't already. It is made up of Tiffin owners and no advertising is allowed.

They also have a for sale section for the members.

Membership is free.

Jon

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:53 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome, you've picked a couple of good manufacturers to start your search. The tag will offer a better ride with greater CC. In your budget you could search out some Allegro bus's, tag Phaeton's. The bus is a tick above the Phaeton. In the Newmar group your looking at Dutchstar and maybe some Mountain Aire early models. As a suggestion don't overlook Monaco, HR or American Coach. Allied Recreation Group now owns Monaco and HR as well as AC and Fleetwood. Your probably a little low for a tag Beaver but you would do well with the Beaver line a very well built coach. Please, use due diligence, have any used coach inspected by a reputable qualified third party.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:18 PM   #4

We were extremely happy with our 2004 Newmar Dutch Star. It was a 40' without a tag but handled beautifully. We bought it new and full-timed in it for 8 years.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:00 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Best luck on your search. I submit that 5-6 years worth of wear and tear -or- TLC with be the most important aspect in your search...with any brand. And having an RV from a company still in business is a positive.

5-6 years old RV's will have been made in the lean times - from AFTER the recession that hit the RV industry hard (2008), but before the boom that started in late 2013.

In that vintage, apart from the rather expensive Prevost or purpose built bridge-chassis RV's, all will have chassis from the big makers like Freightliner and Spartan.

Many believe the best place to start is with an idea about floor plan preferred, then search from there.

Used, typically means lower price point - but no factory warranty. New means factory support, but that new RV price

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:31 AM   #6

Quote:

Many believe the best place to start is with an idea about floor plan preferred, then search from there.
I don't understand this. Why wouldn't you find a good, quality manufacturer and then pick your floorplan from what it has to offer. I'd rather have a well-built RV than a floorplan. You can always work around floorplans.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:59 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Happy wife, happy life! Just sayin. I get your point. I'm sure you get mine?
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #8

Most all brands have much the same components so floor plan is the largest individuality that a manufacture has. The build quality at a given price point does not vary between manufactures in my opinion to sway my purchase decision but floor plan is a major factor. We bought a Tiffin because when we decided to buy a new coach, we went to about 10 dealers around the region and our floor plan was the one that we ended up comparing the others to. We started searching with an open mind, we had a list of must haves, would like to have, and nice options but not required. We found two coaches that essentially ranked the same but chose Tiffin because we are located 50 miles from the factory. You can get a good one or a bad one in any brand. Look at a lot of coaches, buy the one that feels RIGHT and inspect it diligently. A good local dealer can make ownership a dream, a bad dealer can make it a nightmare. A MH is a complex machine, it's gonna break.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:08 AM   #9

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. A little searching on their websites should give you an idea of which models to start looking for.

Put a list together of all the models from each that you think fit your needs. Then start finding and looking at them in person. That will help narrow your list.

You picked 2 popular brands and will be very happy with the one you choose.

At that age, neither one will have more problems then the other. You'll be looking for all the most common issues.

IE; water damage from a leak, sever lack of maintenance etc...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:09 AM   #10

I would have a used MH surveyed, just as I would a $150K boat. There are money pits out there that look good to the novice.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:36 AM   #11

If you are looking at Tiffin make sure you check out to see if the "Big 3" have been fixed. Tiffin had some very serious issues with roof rail cracks, rotting wet bays, and more in some of the years you will be searching.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:13 PM   #12

Newmar 4011

I bought a 10yr old (2004) Newmar Dutch Star 4011 with 30K miles on it for $80K from the original owner who bought it new. I can tell you that it drives just like the $150K 5yr old Newmar's I drove before i bought this coach. It has new tires and batteries, full body paint and has spent its whole life stored indoors when not on the road.

I strongly recommend the Newmar brand. I have owned Winnebago, Vogue, Pace Arrow and Fleetwood. None of these are even close to the Newmar.

I have a friend who has a Tiffin, and though it is a nice coach, I consider the Newmar to be superior.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	O-S 1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	98505   Click image for larger version

Name:	O-S 2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	98506  

Click image for larger version

Name:	O-S 3.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	98507   Click image for larger version

Name:	O-S 4.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	98508  

vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:09 PM   #13

Thank you

Thank you all for your comments, very helpful to a novice.
VAPOR 3000, Very nice Coach at a great price, I am looking at rvonline.com and rvtrader.com
Do you recommend any other places I should look to find a good deal
THANKS AGAIN
Old 06-27-2015, 03:17 PM   #14
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by leitrim View Post
Hi, I am about to buy my first MH. I expect to spend around $150'000 and want a Diesel with a spartan or Freightliner Chassis and Cummins or Cat Engine. I would prefer to buy an older, Quality built product rather than a cheaper new product.
From the research I have done I believe Newmar and Tiffin fit my requirements well. I would like your thoughts on purchasing a 5/6 year old Diesel Tiffin, Newmar or other. Do you recommend a Tag axle and is there anything problematic about either of these Manufacturers I should be aware of.
Thank you for your information.
Here is something to consider: "quality", and under $150K.
2002 Newell 45 L Triple Slide Outs | eBay
All the best!!

Tags
newmar, tiffin