Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2017, 08:15 AM   #29
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Before I had my cataracts removed I didn't realize how much they were affecting my vision. Everything had a cloud over it, but it had gotten that way so gradually that I didn't know what was causing it.

I was on the verge of replacing our 55" flat-screen TV and the computer monitor because they were so "fuzzy". After the surgery, they looked brand new!

At that time I was wearing glasses, primarily to be able to read. The doctor did lens implants and I no longer have to wear glasses, unless the print is extremely small. Books and newspapers are no problem!

As I said, you will be truly amazed at the difference it will make.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2017, 09:10 AM   #30

Noticed ., over the past 3 or 4 years, that driving at night, I get a "flaring" effect of light reflected around yellow caution signs. I mentioned this to my optometrist on my last eye exam(s) and the answer was the same - Yep, you're getting older and that happens. Seems to be more of an age thing, leading to possible cataracts?? Another thing to look forward too!
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:24 AM   #31

Night is less crowded on the open road, and truckers are usually most of the traffic. And professionals. for the most part so I would rather drive night That is a plus but yes if ya cant see under circumstances Hit rest area
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:09 AM   #32
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Before I had my cataracts removed I didn't realize how much they were affecting my vision. Everything had a cloud over it, but it had gotten that way so gradually that I didn't know what was causing it.

I was on the verge of replacing our 55" flat-screen TV and the computer monitor because they were so "fuzzy". After the surgery, they looked brand new!

At that time I was wearing glasses, primarily to be able to read. The doctor did lens implants and I no longer have to wear glasses, unless the print is extremely small. Books and newspapers are no problem!

As I said, you will be truly amazed at the difference it will make.

I had cataract surgery four years ago and what a difference. Because it happens so slowly you don't notice it happening.

I love driving at night. Less traffic especially around the big cities like Washington and the whole I-95 corridor. Only disadvantage is that it does throw off your biological clock. But that's a small price to pay to make good time and not having to deal with all the wackos.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:18 AM   #33

My last night drive in the RV was when we went from Grand Isle LA to Beaumont TX. Between the strange area, the dark, the traffic and the road construction I was very uncomfortable. Now I shoot for being of the road well before dark unless I know the area and the road.
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:53 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojorzn View Post
so I noticed as I'm getting older I'm my night vision is getting worse. I've especially noticed it trying to drive my Class A with the flat side windows at night. I get awful glare and can't see the rear view mirrors well. Has anyone else had the same experience and is there anything that can be done? one question I had is can you drive with the docking lights on? or put lights that shine down so at least you can see the markings on the road better?
The flat side windows act as mirrors at night, tractor/trailers are also known for this problem as well. Look at a Tradition, Eagle, Dream or Heritage. American Coach resolved this with a smoke plexiglass pane mounted on the driverside "A" pillar and works very well. Tint makes the problem worse as many of my friends in the ACA have found out. We just made a emergency trip from Yuma,Az. To NC this past week in two and a half days. Night driving was where I made my miles and day is when I took my naps due to wind and heat.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:43 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Going to throw this out there for everyone, not just the OP.

Highly suggest you buy some Oakley prescription glasses with the yellow or high intensity yellow lenses. IF you are a Veteran/LEO, you can get them for half price from Oakley. These make huge difference in night driving, prescription costs about $250, non-prescription is about $130. These have a 90% light transmission, and everything will pop out at night with ZERO glare.

I actually prefer Persimmon lens tint(orange color) on my night driving glasses, they are 80% light transmission.

By wearing either of these combinations, it takes away all the eye strain from driving at night. I always had problems with glare, and went through several options before I found the perfect solution. Just because I know how cheap some of y'all are, buying a $30 pair of yellow glasses at Walmart is not the same thing. Don't be cheap on this stuff, Oakley's optics are 100 times superior to anything else in the market.

Will also pass along for daytime driving, either the Oakley Prizm Golf or Trail, same price as I listed above. The Golf version has 30% light transmission and the Trail version has 36% light transmission. I prefer the Golf as it is the perfect mix of light transmission. You can get all of these lenses in whatever style you prefer, so if you see a picture of one type and don't care for the look, just know you can have it in whatever configuration you want.

Eye strain is a huge deal when driving, and most do not realize it. Have 2 very good friends that do a fair amount of driving. Tried to explain this to them and they thought I was crazy. Ended up buying both friends a pair of the Oakley Prizm Golf glasses, and told them its on me, my gift. Both could not believe what a difference it made, on one it completely got rid of his headaches. Also, not everyone is the same, for example, I can't wear black or grey tinted glasses, they give me a headache, however Rose or Orange color tints are perfect. Some prefer blue, bronze or green color tints, so its different for everyone.

Think of all the crazy stuff we spend money on everyday, spending $200 to protect your eyes and take away all your eye strain from glare is nothing.
BTW I don't work for Oakley, just passing on some advice that most people don't really think much about. Here is the Oakley Prizm Line Link play with the slider to see the difference in what you see.

Sorry for the long post, but when I read through it, and saw some of your ages, knew if I did not break it down, you old guys would just roll your eyes and think "ah I don't need that" or "those high tech glasses are for kids" or "my regular glass work just fine". Have a had this discussion with several 65+ men, and stubborn just seems to come with the age, trust me, you will be glad you did so if you can be bold enough to try.

Good luck!
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:15 PM   #36
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I read through al of the posts, waiting to see if someone was going to suggest the yellow glasses and see that "DegoRed" brought up the value of using them.

Before buying any expensive ones, I would go to a gun shop or any place that sells them and buy a cheap pair of yellow or "shooting glasses" and see if they help. If they do, buy a good set that fit your face and are comfortable.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ooting+glasses
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:37 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
I just called Oatley, I think this is one to try

"Oakley prescription glasses with the yellow or high intensity yellow lenses. IF you are a Veteran/LEO, you can get them for half price from Oakley. These make huge difference in night driving, prescription costs about $250, non-prescription is about $130. These have a 90% light transmission, and everything will pop out at night with ZERO glare."

they sent me here

Oakley Military & Government Sales
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:46 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I read through al of the posts, waiting to see if someone was going to suggest the yellow glasses and see that "DegoRed" brought up the value of using them.

Before buying any expensive ones, I would go to a gun shop or any place that sells them and buy a cheap pair of yellow or "shooting glasses" and see if they help. If they do, buy a good set that fit your face and are comfortable.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ooting+glasses
When colored glasses were the cool in thing back in the 60's, my dad, the ever logical and factual person, told us kids never to wear any glasses at night, unless they were regular prescription glasses needed to correct a eye problem. His logic was any thing in front of the eye REDUCED the amount of light going into the eye. I just googled this question to see if things have changed over the last 50+ years. Here is a quote:

Quote:
"It is an all too common misconception that yellow tinted or yellow polarized night driving glasses are beneficial for night time driving. The thought is, the yellow or amber color reduces glare and improves contrast. However, in reality, when driving at night or dusk in already limited lighting conditions, ANY tint further reduces the amount of light transmitted to the eye, and consequently, further impairs vision. The problem is compounded as the yellow tint gives the wearer the impression they are seeing better, when in fact the reverse is actually true."
From: http://www.laramyk.com/resources/edu...iving-glasses/

So Dad, wherever you are, you are still right
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:54 PM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a pair of inexpensive yellow colored glasses, and they do help cut the night time glare. Stan and Mary
36PFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:54 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
From: http://www.laramyk.com/resources/edu...iving-glasses/

that link is 7 years old
Old 04-14-2017, 05:57 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 36PFT View Post
I have a pair of inexpensive yellow colored glasses, and they do help cut the night time glare. Stan and Mary
agree I bought these last year, $14 they helped, but I think the Oatley's will be better.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-14-2017, 06:29 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Night driving

If you are having difficulty driving at night your first stop should be for a complete eye examination. You may have many things acting together to cause this problem. As the eye ages the vision declines as a normal function, but in the absence of disease or other factors, cataracts are probably the most common problem in those over 60. Today's surgery for cataracts is very proven and usually uncomplicated leaving you with much better vision but other factors such as macular degeneration or glaucoma can cause substantial vision change.
Normally myself and most of my colleagues do not recommend wearing tint at night because it does reduce the total light available, yellow (kalichrome) lenses make it seem brighter because they reduced the blue end of the spectrum but they still reduce the amount of light the eye receives.
An eye exam should go a long way towards answering your questions.

Roland Schwarz, OD
rfsod48 is offline   Reply With Quote