Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2017, 07:21 AM   #43

Ford Super Duty Owner
I finally had to limit my night driving to 1 or 2 hours past sundown. If I've been driving for 8 to 12 hours my eyes are just too tired to do any night driving.

As for sunglasses, I found these several years ago. They are a safety eyewear with the ability to add your prescription lens behind the safety lens. The safety lens comes in many colors, it's inexpensive to try different ones. The most expensive part is the prescription lens.

This company is US based and veteran owned.

This is the basic safety glasses

Uvex Genesis XC Safety Glasses with Black Frame and Clear Anti-Fog Lens - Safety Glasses USA

The prescription lens insert

Uvex Genesis Prescription Lens Insert - Safety Glasses USA

And the available replacement lenes

Uvex Genesis XC Replacement Lens - Safety Glasses USA
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2017, 11:09 AM   #44
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
First, I don't think the OP has eye issues, he's just having trouble with how his coach reflects light off of the windows. The study quoted is great, but you never know where they come form or the reason it was done. The "proof is in the putting". If they help, use them.

I do know one thing.....you should NEVER wear cheap sunglasses or cheap colored glasses. Wearing cheap glasses causes your eyes to adjust to the glasses which can over time cause eye damage. This is why I suggested buying the cheap yellow glasses and see if they help. If they do, buy a good pair with quality lenses.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:04 PM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
I just called Oatley, I think this is one to try

"Oakley prescription glasses with the yellow or high intensity yellow lenses. IF you are a Veteran/LEO, you can get them for half price from Oakley. These make huge difference in night driving, prescription costs about $250, non-prescription is about $130. These have a 90% light transmission, and everything will pop out at night with ZERO glare."

they sent me here

Oakley Military & Government Sales
That is the correct website Jimbo, that is where I buy my glasses from. Once you register, you are good to go.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:21 PM   #46

I tried a air of cheaper yellow glasses and didn't think they helped, but that's just me.

As for the Oakley's, our grandson wanted a pair of Oakley Antix sunglasses for Christmas about 8 years ago when he was 14. I looked at the price and told my wife it would be a cold day when I spent that much on sunglasses for a 14 year old. After some discussion we got them and I tried them on. I've had a pair of them ever since. The grandson also took care of his and had them years later. Good glasses, IMHO.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:48 PM   #47

I like night driving, but I have noticed in a high outside light environment, our coach has the worst visibility in any vehicle I have ever driven.

Gotta keep those background lights down, Gotta wear sun glasses during the day before a night drive, or it takes forever to adapt.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:01 AM   #48

I occasionally drive at night and enjoy it. My guages have red on white dials with red needles so its impossible for me to see the needles at night. I have to shine a little flashlight at the guages to see were the needles are.

I am a morning person so I'm at my best drivind during the day.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:40 PM   #49

KZ RV Club
With too many night shifts to count & then long hauling for 6 years what worked best was.
1. Keep the windshield spotless
2. Dim dash lights until you can just read the gauges
3. Amber glasses for night. Multi quality here so get good ones cheap lens tend to distort
4. Headlights in your side mirrors, slow slightly until they pass, slowing helps them get around on two lanes
5. Always wear sun glasses on bright days, eye Dr. says it's the leading cause of cataracts, the eyes will shade themselves or grow cataracts.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote