Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-06-2015, 04:42 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
There's another RV related website owned by CW that has a subforum called "Dear Marcus". Tell your story there. CW's CEO used to read that forum. I don't know if he still does or not. You may be lucky enough to catch him at a time that he's not sitting in a makeup trailer at NBC studios. Other than self-promotion I don't know what his agenda is, but I can certainly tell you what it isn't.

2005 Newmar KSDP 3910
ISC on a Spartan
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2015, 04:44 AM   #16
I have a friend who bought from CW and was having trouble. Is it advisable to have warranty work done at a different wnnebago dealer?

olustee bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:17 AM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It has to be the store. I have had work done at the Rogers Minn store and have never experienced a problem.

1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:34 AM   #18
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Your sad tale is valuable as a warning to our less experienced members. While there may be well run exceptions, I personally would choose to do business where getting good service is expected, not based on "luck".

Mr L has done a great job of expanding the franchise, at the expense of customer or even employee focus. We might occasionally shop a local store as a convenience, but I would not consider making a major purchase there or having work done at a Camping World.

We just heard yet another story of experienced people leaving Tom Johnson's, as example, since Camping World's take over. It would be interesting to know what percentage of TJ employees have defected. Good people can always find a job elsewhere. What's left will be the mediocre or those who's personal circumstances don't allow them to pick up and move.

I sincerely hope you can get your issues taken care of without too much more stress.
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:36 AM   #19
LOL send an email to Marcus LOL LOL I needed that today, thanks.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:15 AM   #20
Sadly bad service experiences are a fact of life when you need or want any RV work done on any RV anywhere, (not only at Camping World).
We RVers don't have much choice...we must put up and pay up....if we don't we will have a big expensive lawn ornament parked permanently somewhere.

However I suppose a smarter and less expensive alternative would be to get rid of the RV and simply burn a few $100 bills every month or 2.
(But we RVers are seldom accused of being smart).

'96 Safari.... mine for 14 years, 117k miles.... (and thousands of service work $$).
mel s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:28 AM   #21
Never leave an RV for service anywhere and assume the work will be done by a certain time.
If time matters, check on your rig in person.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:00 AM   #22
Originally Posted by malexander View Post
Just the other day, I told my wife & brother that 80% of the comments on here about CW are negative. And seems like 99% of the comments about PPL are positive.
That's one of the reasons I chose to do business with PPL in Houston vs. CW right here in OKC.
Good to hear about PPL. I live on the other side of Houston, and use Channelview Supply. Been good to me so far, for warranty work and accessory sales.

I would never use Camping World for repair work. The few times I have dealt with them for anything, I was not impressed with their service or their knowledge.
2015 24' Rockwood UltraLite 2304DS behind '14 Diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee/'04 Hemi Ram 1500. Equal-I-Zer 4-Point 1000lb sway control.
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:55 AM   #23
I would be VERY careful with PPL. Our experience with buying a used motorhome from PPL in San Marcos was so bad, it transends complete incompentance OR total dishonesty. It could only happen with complete incompentance AND total dishonesty. Could not have been worse. And, the manager acknowledged it and basically said "what you gonna do about it".

Ken Gasbarri.

We did get the last laugh, and not sure they are even smart enough to realize it
Be Of Good Cheer!!!
DraginRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:28 AM   #24
Winnebago Owners Club
It is to late to help you but this advice may help others.

You should not go to the big box stores (PPL or CW or Dealers) for installation of add-on's like a satellite dish Do a little research in your local area for a reputable mobile person to come to you and do the install right there at your house (campground) or storage area.

I had a mobile electronics tech (if anyone wants his name and number email me) come to my campground in Houston. Two hours and he was done with the antenna install and several other audio/video fixes. No waiting two weeks not knowing what is being done with your coach. His charge was between two other quotes I received from local service places. A fair price I thought.

As a long time Winnebago person I prefer going to the factory in Iowa for most of my warranty work. The people there are great and have done great work for me at a fair price. I have yet to find a great dealer for warranty work in the rest of the country.
Doug & Lanita Full Time Since July 2012
2010 Itasca Ellipse 40CD TOAD 2012 Jeep Liberty.
Retired US Navy Chief Petty Officer
CPO_Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:53 AM   #25
Originally Posted by DraginRat View Post
I would be VERY careful with PPL. Our experience with buying a used motorhome from PPL in San Marcos was so bad, it transends complete incompentance OR total dishonesty. It could only happen with complete incompentance AND total dishonesty. Could not have been worse. And, the manager acknowledged it and basically said "what you gonna do about it".

Ken Gasbarri.

We did get the last laugh, and not sure they are even smart enough to realize it
That sounds like AeroVette's saga on the Corvette Forum...
2004 Fleetwood Southwind 32VS W20
F4Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:19 PM   #26
If you call and speak to the service manager and he doesn't now if it's ready or what's been done. He needs to be fired immediately and you have troubles.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:29 PM   #27
My unit is with CW again. It seems to live there in the winter and workamp in the rest of the year.

I haven't had problems with call backs, but with repairs that weren't really repaired. Being the newbie I was I didn't insist on checking it before I left, but I do now. It is in for furnace warranty work, and then I'll do my best to find another RV servicer.

Also, the biggest problem was their constant turnover. One service person told the upper mgmt. just comes in from time to time and lets techs go. Then they have to start all over. Shame, I had a good relationship with some of them.
NCWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:25 PM   #28
Camping World is truly the scum of the earth. I know because I made the mistake of buying from them. Anyone looking to buy any kind of RV better listen to me, DON'T DO IT..! You absolutely WILL regret it, no exceptions.

TS192 is offline   Reply With Quote