Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2015, 04:33 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraginRat View Post
I would be VERY careful with PPL. Our experience with buying a used motorhome from PPL in San Marcos was so bad, it transends complete incompentance OR total dishonesty. It could only happen with complete incompentance AND total dishonesty. Could not have been worse. And, the manager acknowledged it and basically said "what you gonna do about it".

Ken Gasbarri.

We did get the last laugh, and not sure they are even smart enough to realize it

I didn't know PPL had a lot on San Marcos. The only ones I know of are in Houston, New Braunfels, & Cleburne. At least, these are the only ones they advertise for.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2015, 02:37 PM   #30
doc

Appalachian Campers
The sales staff at our closest CW will try to force you to buy from them. Parts doesn't really care if you buy from them or not.
Service (if you call it that!) will kiss up to you but will do nothing that they cannot take a couple of months to get to. It might be adjusting a slide or repairing a leak in the wet bay.
Problem is that CW will try to run out of business or buy out successful RV dealers. There is one on I-85 north of Atlanta that I expect to see CW move on soon. These are good people and do what they say in a timely manner. Everything that CW claims to be but is not.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:00 PM   #31

I technically still have an open repair ticket, waiting for parts to come in. It is at least 9 months old......
CCFROMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:26 PM   #32

Many here have learned to do as much work as we can ourselves.
It seems to be SOP for many RV repair services to be incompetent. If you find a good place tell others about it.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
Old 11-12-2015, 03:41 PM   #33

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro1x View Post
Same old story! Try to find the Profit or is that useless Marcus Lamont. The leader of Camping World needs to straighten out his own company sometime. Dave

I made the mistake of quoting one of Marcus Lemonis posts about how RV.NET would not censor negative posts about Camping World and got banned from participating on RV.NET

And typical of CW and their lack of communications I didn't even get a notice......just 'deactivated account'.
They didn't even have the courtesy of messaging me.
Much like the way they handle customer service at their stores......no call backs, no notifications etc. and when one inquires they come back with a rubber stamped corporate statement.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:21 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
I gotta say - reading threads like this really makes me appreciate my dealer. Just last week I made the 300 mile round trip to have a laundry list of work performed. Granted, much of the work was routine maintenance work like engine oil changes and winterization - however the list also included some minor repairs (a problem with the power seats, an issue with the buttons that flush the macerate get toilet in the rear bath) and the installation of a router , signal booster and a rooftop antenna.

I worked with the service coordinator in advance of the trip to schedule the work such that I could drive up, stay While my coach was being worked on and then drive it home when the work was complete. I drove up on Tuesday evening, arriving late in the evening. I pulled into a "guest slip" -'and coonected to shore power, spending the night in the coach. The work took two days - so they returned the coach to the guest slip I the evening which allowed me to stay in the coach.

I worked my day gig from the coach while they worked on it. All work was done to my satisfaction - and at a total cost that came in a few dollars less than the estimate that I was given before I left to drive up.

I can't help but feel that my dealer experiences have been way different than that which so many others have. Props to Veurinks RV of Grand Rapids for making that so!
Old 11-12-2015, 05:36 PM   #35

Camping World

Here is a post I made after my experience at CW.
You might want to think twice about them.

Hello All, Well we picked up my new to us 36' 2001 Dynasty and it has been very good. We have been on a Shake down cruise and have encountered a few problems some caused by the PO and others by Service Techs. At start after our first night the batteries required Seven Gallons of Distilled Water. Might be a record at least for us (5th MH). The batteries have been working well since. We changed them at 13 yrs they still worked.
At a Camper World in Indy we had our Oil Changed ( at least we thought we did). After the service was done and paid for we checked the oil level etc. The Engine level was correct but the oil was black as coal, the unit was only driven from the service Bay to the Parking Lot. The oil was never changed. Although the Engine oil filter was changed I guess it was to visible to fake.
The generator oil was
also black. When we checked the Genset Filter it still had a fine coating of dust no finger marks etc and was down a quart. The service manager came out to check and agreed that the filter was not touched he said Diesel oil gets Dirty very quickly (2 mins run?). A driver was sent out to return the Unit to the Service Bay. When the Generator was slid in the Filter cover door was left open causing it to bend like a pretzel, we need a new one now (minor problem ).
Tech said he just forgot the filter, he replaced the filter and added a Quart of oil, interesting the added quart lightened up the Black oil even after it was run for 5 minutes? We returned to the Parking area. Upon checking and crawling underneath, none of the Grease Fittings had been touched, one of the items that we specifically asked about.
Upon Complaints to the Service Manager we were given a full $400. Refund.
Barrier
Old 11-12-2015, 08:08 PM   #36

I have actually read 3-4 compliments online about Camping World service in the last week. That's a change.
If you have a problem with any Camping World location, you should document your problem including employees' names, etc. and contact their headquarters office at
Camping World Headquarters
650 Three Springs Road
Bowling Green, KY 42104
Phone Number: 1-270-781-2718

The original owner of Camping World died, and the company has been sold. They're in a process of acquiring many RV dealers all over the country, and with growth comes problems.
Improvements are not expected at Camping World unless their Corporate Headquarters is made aware of where their problem dealerships and problem employees are.
The RV industry charges incredibly high labor rates, and customers deserve an incredibly high level of professionalism when they're paying so much.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:22 PM   #37

I've had excellent service at the Tucson CW.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:44 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
I've had excellent service at the Tucson CW.
Yours is the exception to the rule.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:53 PM   #39

It's not just CW, of course. Posted today on another forum by a friend:

Been at the car dealer service department for the past few hours having an ignition coil recall done. Wow, the service dept upsell brutal...

Lady with a newborn is being told although her brakes pass inspection, they need to be changed for the "safety of her baby"...

Old couple was told that their brakes pad thickness is fine, but they need 2 rotors. $125 each, $250 in labor for a total of $500. But they are NOT changing the pads?

Some young kid came in for an inspection, and although it passes inspection.... the tires need to be replaced. $700

Another lady just got told her brakes are good, BUT...

how do people deal with this? All i know, is i will continue to work on my own stuff for as long as i can...
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:11 PM   #40

dealers and repairs

I do everything myself. I bought a used coach from a Big dealer waiting 2 weeks pretty soon i will tell them to keep it.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:31 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I have actually read 3-4 compliments online about Camping World service in the last week. That's a change.
If you have a problem with any Camping World location, you should document your problem including employees' names, etc. and contact their headquarters office at
Camping World Headquarters
650 Three Springs Road
Bowling Green, KY 42104
Phone Number: 1-270-781-2718

The original owner of Camping World died, and the company has been sold. They're in a process of acquiring many RV dealers all over the country, and with growth comes problems.
Improvements are not expected at Camping World unless their Corporate Headquarters is made aware of where their problem dealerships and problem employees are.
The RV industry charges incredibly high labor rates, and customers deserve an incredibly high level of professionalism when they're paying so much.
I recently purchased a new class A motor home from CW, even while having a bad feeling during the purchase I continued to work thru CW namely because I grew up with and had known the founder of CW for over 60 years. I promise you this man would be apaulled at what has happened to the company he built as a teenager selling from a shack by a riverside campground in Bowling Green, KY. He did sell the company prior to his death and returned a tremendous amount to his community, but It is a shame what these so called business men have done to a once grand idea and dream. I too have a horror story to tell about CW service or lack of, ( not the BG location) but I won't get into it, just suffice to say the headquarter for the online catalog sales are still here and function well, but the facility operations and "corporate decision" aren't made here anymore. It's a crying shame for those of us that new David Garvin to see the happening, his story is remarkable and his untimely death was shocking to many but when we heard how he had fallen off a ladder cleaning leaves out of a stopped up gutter, it was just typical of him, a ordinary guy next door, worth multi- millions doing whatever needed to be done. The approach CW is taking now will destroy the company, but only after they have grabbed every dollar they can from the uninformed public. Any one interested in opening a service oriented business? it takes hard work but could be very successful ! Hard to find employees willing to care, experienced enough to know, or humble enough to learn. Even harder to find leaders that have the integrity to set the example. I 'm retired, just have a lot of free advise and you know what that's worth!
Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:09 AM   #42

CW

Just a followup.
I did contact CW headquarters addressed to Marcus Lemonis. Response was he would get back to me. Still Waiting!
I also placed my experience (at a members suggestion) on a site for rating RV service.
I do most service myself. In my prior life I involved in the Auto/Truck Service Business. I was fortunate that I knew what to check for. I just wonder hows many RVrs have gone thru CW Service centers with new oil and filters and Lubrication on their way to or from Vacations only to have Permanent damage done to the vehicles or worse. The time of "short stick" oil checks, wipe down oil filters, smear grease zerk fittings and black painted "re-manufactured" chassis parts seem to have diminished. I suppose Camping World has not gotten the message or perhaps they choose not to.
Barrier

Tags
camping