Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
MegaRoadie's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
Posts: 343
Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
Had a bit of fun with a local "service advisor" at a GMC Dealership a while back... this poor fella had obviously been to the dealer's brainwash/morning-how to scam customer meetings too long or was subjected to leaking nitrogen while some "tech rep" weasel was hyperventillating the sales folks with Pure Dealer BS !

He was explaining to me how the "New Nitrogen Gas Filling Service" was going to revolutionize the tire industry ! His level of excitement and enthusiasm was only closely approached by the sheer misinformation and pure misunderstanding of what he was saying and to whom he was saying it:

* Nitrigen gas molecules were way larger than air molucules and this would ensure less leakage
* Nitrogen was an "innerrt" gas, which meant it would not catch fire or burn and tires were way less susceptable to burst into flames going down the road.
* All NASCAR cars and trucks were using nitrogen and it helped tire mileage and greatly reduced wear for them so everyday cars were definately gonna benefit from this !
* Just one fill would help scrub out all that olde oxygen from the tire interior and make it last way longer....etc

Having been a Nuclear Health Physicist, Gas Free Engineer, Nuclear Chemist and Nuclear Engineer for most of the past 40 years I literally bristled at the pure lack of ANY fact or logic in any of his statements, and to make it worse he had the brochures to "back-up" the fraudulent claims.

After alowing him to "self-extinguish" I smiled, explained that his sales pitch fell on deaf, educated ears, and that 99.9% of what he had just said was false and misleading and that I would advise the Better Business Bureau. Shortly after having done the BBB thing I noted that the dealership discontinued the big pitch approach and the nitrogen ripoff ceased to be a major offering.

HOW SAD to have to see the pettiness and coniving that occurs in these "service advisor lanes" at today's car dealer service areas.

Enjoy the Open Road and Thank a Veteran for our great freedoms !
__________________

__________________
05 Itasca Suncruiser, Stock w/ScanGuage II,
2012 Honda Accord TOAD,Home Based in Spring Hill, Florida...Retired Navy Officer
MegaRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Arch Hoagland's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Clovis, CA, USA
Posts: 5,917
Snake Oil.
__________________

__________________
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Anacortes, WA (Stick & Brick)
Posts: 2,623
Megaroadie:

Well done and well said, sir! I've posted my Boeing research several times on three major RV newsgroups and still people are falling for this BS!

I guess some folks are just too gullible to protect themselves from "pseudo-science" when it's being pushed by a sales person who sounds convincing. I'm glad I went for an engineering education. Sure saved a lot of money over the years.
__________________
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and ex-RVers.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaRoadie View Post
* Nitrigen gas molecules were way larger than air molucules and this would ensure less leakage
* Nitrogen was an "innerrt" gas, which meant it would not catch fire or burn and tires were way less susceptable to burst into flames going down the road.
* All NASCAR cars and trucks were using nitrogen and it helped tire mileage and greatly reduced wear for them so everyday cars were definately gonna benefit from this !
* Just one fill would help scrub out all that olde oxygen from the tire interior and make it last way longer....etc
Oh come on now, give the overly exuberant sales chap a little credence.... Here's the score card as I see it:

* Nitrigen gas molecules were way larger than air molucules and this would ensure less leakage
-->score 1 for you score 0 for the chap: Not sure anyone has ever really seen an "air molecule" so that reference is just a tad vague.

* Nitrogen was an "innerrt" gas, which meant it would not catch fire or burn and tires were way less susceptable to burst into flames going down the road.
-->score 1 for you score 1 for the chap: Nitrogen, though not an inert gas, certainly does little to promote combustion. Though a tire fire has nothing to do with what filled it.

* All NASCAR cars and trucks were using nitrogen and it helped tire mileage and greatly reduced wear for them so everyday cars were definately gonna benefit from this !
-->score 1 for you score 2 for the chap: NASCAR does use nitrogen in their tires. However, our daily drivers will certainly NOT "definitely benefit" just because of this NASCAR experience though. Two different uses and needs.

* Just one fill would help scrub out all that olde oxygen from the tire interior and make it last way longer....etc
--> score 2 for you and score 2 for the chap: Let's just let this one die it's own death...

Seems the score is actually even. But that still does NOT make the value of nitrogen in street driven tires cost/time effective in any way. But the little green valve covers are pretty cool!
__________________
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:13 PM   #33
Member
 
BobKomar's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 78
I carry a bottle of nitrogen with me, for shocks on sand cars and quads, not for tires!
__________________
BobKomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 260
The reason that O2, despite a larger MW 32, has a smaller diameter than N2 MW 28, lies in the electronic structure of the molecules. As indicated by quantum mechanical theory of molecules, the electrons of a molecule form a diffuse "cloud" surrounding the nuclei of the atoms in the molecule. The electron cloud around the oxygen nuclei in the O2 molecule is smaller, more compact in size, due to attractive electrostatic interactions between the electrons in the cloud and the greater positive charge of the nuclei of the O atoms in the O2 molecule. Each oxygen atom has 8
protons in its nucleus, while each nitrogen atom has only 7 protons in its nucleus. Thus, the overall size of the electron cloud of the O2 molecule is smaller than for N2, in part because its electron cloud is drawn in closer to the O nuclei by the greater positive charge on the O nuclei.
The dimension of the molecule's electron cloud defines the size and shape for a given type of molecule. When one molecule bumps into another molecule, the outer-most extent of the electron clouds of each molecule repel each other in that local vicinity of the contact between the molecules. Each colliding molecule's electron cloud experiences a repulsion, due to the proximity to the like electrical charge of electrons around the other molecule in the collision. Since like electrical charges repel each other (like-repels-like), the electrostatic interaction between the electron clouds of the colliding molecules is repulsive. That repulsion effectively defines the size of the molecules.
O2 "permeates" approximately 3-4 times faster than does N2 through a typical rubber, as is used in tires, primarily because O2 has a slightly smaller effective molecular size than does N2.



__________________
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,538
Normal air is already 78% Nitrogen so that's what I use. The one advantage of Nirtogen is that it's "dry", you can get pretty much the same by using an air dryer on your compressor. Guess I better go buy one for mine!
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #36
Member
 
Windy City's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 61
Bucks, thanks for the awesome post!
There is a lot of gobble gook backed up on this post. I am in control of 20 vehicles here and went to Nitrogen several years ago. Yes it is more stable at the track in both my cars and motorcycles, but the main reason is the longevity of keeping pressures up. Works terrific for trailers.
For approximately $150 anyone can buy a regulator and tire filler made for nitrogen. A small compressed gas cylinder can fill a lot of tires! I pull the valve from the stem, empty the tire, put the valve back, and fill with nitrogen.
If anyone here has a newer car, with the governments wonderful Ford Explorer tire roll over sellout (TPMS) they know the irritation of tire pressure fluctuation with alloy wheels and temperature changes. Nitrogen takes care of this quite handily.
I speak from several years of recorded first hand experience and I will continue to keep nitrogen in my tires, on and off the track.
__________________
Windy City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
O2 "permeates" approximately 3-4 times faster than does N2 through a typical rubber, as is used in tires, primarily because O2 has a slightly smaller effective molecular size than does N2.

So each time I add air to my tires I get a higher and higher percentage of Nitrogen in them since the other molicules have "leached" out.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City View Post
Bucks, thanks for the awesome post!
There is a lot of gobble gook backed up on this post. I am in control of 20 vehicles here and went to Nitrogen several years ago. Yes it is more stable at the track in both my cars and motorcycles, but the main reason is the longevity of keeping pressures up. Works terrific for trailers.
For approximately $150 anyone can buy a regulator and tire filler made for nitrogen. A small compressed gas cylinder can fill a lot of tires! I pull the valve from the stem, empty the tire, put the valve back, and fill with nitrogen.
If anyone here has a newer car, with the governments wonderful Ford Explorer tire roll over sellout (TPMS) they know the irritation of tire pressure fluctuation with alloy wheels and temperature changes. Nitrogen takes care of this quite handily.
I speak from several years of recorded first hand experience and I will continue to keep nitrogen in my tires, on and off the track.
I'm waiting for the storm of controversy over the oxidation of the tire material, and steel belts. Since tire failure raises so many peoples blood pressure, when you show them a way to possibly reduce the failure rate for pennies in their $400-$600 tires, they have to back pedal and come up with other excuses. We'll see how creative they are.

Ken
__________________
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Northwestern Montana
Posts: 3,138
I still prefer using helium in my tires for the easy light ride it produces over bumpy roads. . Well....thats about as good a reason as the reasons for using nitrogen. IMHO of course.
__________________
Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #40
Senior Member
 
BigmoneySr's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Crestview Florida
Posts: 235
Where can you buy a fill up for nitrogen
__________________
Carol & Doug French ECOA National Director
2014 Entegra Aspire 44U

2016 F150 Bronze Super Crew Cab 4X4
BigmoneySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #41
Member
 
hometwn2's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Peoria, Illinois
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
The reason that O2, despite a larger MW 32, has a smaller diameter than N2 MW 28, lies in the electronic structure of the molecules. As indicated by quantum mechanical theory of molecules, the electrons of a molecule form a diffuse "cloud" surrounding the nuclei of the atoms in the molecule. The electron cloud around the oxygen nuclei in the O2 molecule is smaller, more compact in size, due to attractive electrostatic interactions between the electrons in the cloud and the greater positive charge of the nuclei of the O atoms in the O2 molecule. Each oxygen atom has 8

protons in its nucleus, while each nitrogen atom has only 7 protons in its nucleus. Thus, the overall size of the electron cloud of the O2 molecule is smaller than for N2, in part because its electron cloud is drawn in closer to the O nuclei by the greater positive charge on the O nuclei.
The dimension of the molecule's electron cloud defines the size and shape for a given type of molecule. When one molecule bumps into another molecule, the outer-most extent of the electron clouds of each molecule repel each other in that local vicinity of the contact between the molecules. Each colliding molecule's electron cloud experiences a repulsion, due to the proximity to the like electrical charge of electrons around the other molecule in the collision. Since like electrical charges repel each other (like-repels-like), the electrostatic interaction between the electron clouds of the colliding molecules is repulsive. That repulsion effectively defines the size of the molecules.
O2 "permeates" approximately 3-4 times faster than does N2 through a typical rubber, as is used in tires, primarily because O2 has a slightly smaller effective molecular size than does N2.


what??
__________________
Larry and Karen say-Be kind to everyone you meet.......It could be an angel
2003 Fleetwood Bounder 38N Larry, Karen and "Kids" Topper our yorkie (boy) Chayce (our sweet little girl) and Kitty Kat (AKA you talkin to me)
hometwn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus
 
RustyJC's Avatar


 
Texas Boomers Club
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Cypress, Texas USA
Posts: 8,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometwn2 View Post
what??
It's a cut-and-paste from the linked website that's promoting the use of nitrogen.

Rusty
__________________

__________________
2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discounted Michelin Tires for Monaco Owners Mike Canter Monaco Owner's Forum 23 05-16-2011 06:34 PM
22.5 tires replacement info or help csp MH-General Discussions & Problems 36 02-10-2010 04:08 PM
Replacing tires due to age Pete & Linda MH-General Discussions & Problems 21 02-01-2010 10:19 AM
Trailer Tires K-Star Travel Trailer Discussion 28 07-13-2009 09:39 PM
nitrogen filled tires coke man Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 6 01-18-2005 03:34 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.