Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2011, 01:40 PM   #1

Nitrogen in tires?

How much of a benifit is nitrogen filled tires?
tranquility is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #2

Location: Recently moved to Arkansas and set my RV on my 25 acres until my new house is built.
I researched this a while back and found there is no real advantage. But that's just me.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Save you money. It may be useful at 200 MPH in NASCAR Sprint Cup. But, if one morning you have a low pressure alert what are you going to do. do you carry Nitrogen in your coach? so, of course you are going to add plain old AIR! Mike Cody at Freifghtliner recomends AIR! The bifggest benefit of it is to the installing dealer who will charge you an additional 5 to 10 bucks per tire! ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:03 PM   #4

Hugh benefit for the tire store selling you the nitrogen. At least for their pockets.
There is exactly zero benefit for the average driver. Remember, the air you are breathing is approx 78% nitrogen to star with.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
It's a solution to a nonexistent problem.

It does do an excellent job of separating your money from you.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:59 PM   #6

First question to ask seller is "How do you remove air to put nitrogen in tire" and then watch them stutter!
DennyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone Dave View Post
I researched this a while back and found there is no real advantage.
I did too...same results.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I had a tire dealer trying to sell me a set of tires for my pickup. The price he quoted was close to $20. a tire more than I could buy the same tire at Costco. I told him that, and he said go ahead then and buy them at Costco and they will fill them with nitrogen and when you have a low tire what are you going to do. Not only was he expensive he was stupid to boot and I told him so. Costco got my business!
Old 10-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here's what Continental says about Nitrogen in tires:
Quote:
Introduction & Purpose

Nitrogen is being offered as an alternative to air for tire inflation. The purpose of this bulletin is to provide general information about inflating tires with nitrogen.

Tires are designed and built to provide many miles of excellent service but must be maintained properly. The key element of proper tire maintenance is maintaining the recommended tire inflation pressure. The proper tire inflation pressure is recommended by the vehicle manufacturer and can be found on the vehicle’s tire placard or in the vehicle owner’s manual. Continental Tire recommends that the consumer check his/her tire inflation pressure at regular intervals of at least once per month and before every long trip or twice per month depending on local regulations, customs, or conditions.

Using Nitrogen in Tires

Nitrogen is an inert (non-flammable) gas – basically, nothing more than dry air with oxygen removed. For example, ambient air contains about 78% nitrogen. Because of nitrogen’s inert properties, it is often used in highly specialized tire service applications and/or demanding environments. These tire service applications usually include aircraft, mining, and commercial/heavy use. Also, nitrogen is used in professional motor racing involving extreme vehicle speeds. We understand that dry nitrogen is used in this regard to help reduce tire pressure variations where even small differences in pressure can affect vehicle handling at the extreme limits of performance.

For normal everyday consumer tire service applications, nitrogen tire inflation is not required. However, nitrogen tire inflation does not harm tires and may marginally contribute to reductions in tire inflation loss by permeation. Nevertheless, nitrogen will not prevent any tire inflation loss caused by punctures, tire/rim interface (bead) leaks, valve leaks, valve/rim interface leaks, wheel leaks, and other mechanical leaks. Again, the use of nitrogen alone does not substitute for the importance of regularly checking tire inflation pressure. If the tire inflation pressure is below the pressure specified on the vehicle placard, the tire must be re-inflated – whether with air or nitrogen – to the proper inflation pressure. Do not operate tires underinflated and/or overloaded (see “Warning”). Whether inflated with air or nitrogen, regular tire inflation pressure maintenance remains critical and necessary. Use of nitrogen alone is not a replacement for regular tire inflation pressure maintenance.

WARNING [!] Underinflation and/or overloading tires will create excessive stresses and heat build up that can lead to tire disablement, such as by a tread-belt separation and/or detachment, causing serious injury or death.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Next they will want to charge you extra to fill your tires with helium, thereby lowering your axle weight
Old 10-30-2011, 07:35 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would be more concerned with a having "dry" air than pure nitrogen. Plus you have the seat the bead then evac the tire a few times to get a pure fill.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyD View Post
First question to ask seller is "How do you remove air to put nitrogen in tire" and then watch them stutter!
Now that's funny
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:05 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I've been using 78% nitrogen in my tires all my life, including the many bicycles I had as a child.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
I would be more concerned with a having "dry" air than pure nitrogen. Plus you have the seat the bead then evac the tire a few times to get a pure fill.
Exactly right! Merely use an air dryer/filter on your air compressor and you put "dry air" into stuff. It also reduces temperature/pressure variation, as moisture in air accounts for widely varying pressure. I have de-mounted many automobile tires to find a few ounces of water inside, which comes from re-filling tires with moisture-laden air.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote