Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2014, 10:39 PM   #15

I live in humid south louisiana where our temps range from upper 20s to mid 80s all winter long. 20-30 temp swings within a day or two. Does nitrogen help maintain my tire pressures? Absolutely!! I recently purchased my 2014 Puma TT and it came equipped with nitrogen filled tires. If not, I would have put nitrogen in them. With that being said, I do have access to nitrogen where I work so I do get it for a really "good deal". I run N2 in all my tires. Would it be worth the cost to have them filled at a shop? Not really sure....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2014, 12:27 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Every new car that comes out of my dealer has nitrogen in the tires. I don't charge for it and if a customer loses pressure or gets a flat I fill it for free for the life of the car. Why? It cut down tremendously on customers coming back in the spring or fall with their tpms sensors going off due to temp fluctuations. Also stopped a lot of bead leaks in the fall when the temps dropped. To us and my customers it saves time and money. Everything I own has nitro in it and yes you can mix them.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:52 AM   #17
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Another solution to a non-existent problem.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:49 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I always install nitrogen in the tires or our motorhome when we are planning on trips that take us above 30,000 ft in altitude. Or when driving at speeds over 200 MPH.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:51 AM   #19

There are 3 reasons to use nitrogen in tires:

1. Reduce pressure variations due to temperature. This has more to do with the lack of water vapor in nitrogen fills than the nitrogen itself and dry shop air will accomplish the same thing, although the difference in standard automotive applications isn't enough to worry about in any event. Race car drivers may need to be concerned about a 1% pressure variation, but an RV driver does not.

2. Lower permeability of the tire carcass to nitrogen vs. oxygen. Also not enough of a difference to be significant, especially considering that normal atmospheric air is already 78% nitrogen.

3. Replaces oxygen in the tire, reducing change of fire when grossly overheated. This matters when you are landing a space shuttle or jumbo jet where a tire needs to accelerate from 0 to 150 mph in fractions of a second, but again, not gonna be an issue for automotive tires at automotive speeds.

So nitrogen does have applications as a tire fill in certain instances, but for normal cars and RVs... snake oil, or at least no benefit anywhere near worth the hassle and expense.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:11 PM   #20

The biggest difference between air and nitrogen is that air contains moisture which is the biggest cause of pressure change with heat. The only problem with that is that the tire when mounted contains air with moisture. Adding nitrogen fill does not magically make that moisture go away.

Unless you fill and vacuum the tire 3 times like they do in NASCAR, the moisture remains and results in very little difference for 100% air.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #21

Nitrogen is better overall for you RV tires than compressed air...just a fact that's proven. How much better is it for the common RV'er? not much if your on a budget. If you have the disposal cash it's insurance for less tire related issues.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:31 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
My 5er came with nitrogen, and I can get them topped off at no cost at any Nitrofill dealer.
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:52 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's drier with fat molecules

Several hit it on the head - nitrogen is much drier than shop air generally is. We us it in aircraft to fill oleo struts (oil/nitrogen filled shock absorbers) because you won't get the corrosion with it.

The molecules are bigger and it does make a difference in tires, especially small, therefore small volume, tires where a small amount of leakage is a large percentage of the volume of the tire (like a ten speed bike with those skinny 120 psi tires).

I wouldn't pay for it for large RV tires, but if I have a bottle around the RV I'll top them off with it.
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:14 AM   #24

OK, consider this. If the O molecules are smaller and pass through the rubber faster, then as the pressure slowly reduces the N percentage increases. Add more air and go through the same scenario again. The N percentage increases again.

So slowly but surely you are approaching a N filled tire.

Hmmm...
Old 03-29-2014, 09:05 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajim View Post
OK, consider this. If the O molecules are smaller and pass through the rubber faster, then as the pressure slowly reduces the N percentage increases. Add more air and go through the same scenario again. The N percentage increases again.

So slowly but surely you are approaching a N filled tire.

Hmmm...
True^

The more air thats added from loss makes the nitrogen content in the tire rise. The rise in nitrogen makes the tire pressures more stable.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:10 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As noted, a solution to a non-existent problem. But if it makes you feel better, go ahead and waste the $$$ for nitrogen. My tires will get good old compressed air form my air compressor.

Ken
Old 03-29-2014, 09:14 AM   #27

I had nitrogen in my tires for the first year of ownership. Thought it would save me from airing up before trips. Found out it made no difference, and it was really hard to find refilling stations in remote areas, and they won't do it for free. Finally switched back to air and am happy I did so.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:16 AM   #28

Air = 78.09% nitrogen. Not needed but has its advantages. Unless a tire is mounted in a controlled atmosphere, it's going to have a great deal of straight air in it.