Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #43

Hey guys- I’m not buying a new car (foreign) just to get “free” nitrogen in the tires. This was just an advertisement in a Salt Lake newspaper. It just goes to prove that dealers will go to any length to make a sale. Like other posters have said; SNAKE OIL!
Richard
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #44
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Since the first practical pneumatic tire was made by John Boyd Dunlop, a Scot, in 1887 for his son's bicycle, plain old air has worked just fine.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagelpater View Post
My question is, With Air the tire chart anticipates a PSI rise as the tire heats up, but the Nitrogen Serviced Tire will Not have that PSI rise, so,
So nitrogen is immune to Boyle's law and all the other laws of gas chemistry?

Somehow, I don't think so. That statement alone is enough to stamp "BUNK" on the whole issue.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaball View Post
In both cases I actually felt a difference in the ride. The price I felt was a fair gamble given that I could always purge it out and go back to air.
Do you know the meaning of "placebo?" How about the "Waltham effect?"

Essentially, you invested in it, so you wanted to see a difference.

It would be impossible to "feel" a difference.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
I am not sold on Nitrogen in tires, but some say that the moisture forced into the tire with a compressor can be bad.
On a per-volume basis, the compressed air in your tires is likely drier than the air outside the tires, since the compressor undoubtedly has facilities in place to trap some of the water, if not all of it.

Had Barnum actually made his statement about births per minute (he didn't), then he certainly underestimated the ratio.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:11 PM   #48

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
Do you know the meaning of "placebo?" How about the "Waltham effect?"

Essentially, you invested in it, so you wanted to see a difference.

It would be impossible to "feel" a difference.
Is'nt this a wonderfull website. We can actually voice our opinions and never be wrong!
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
mrblanche Not sure about Boyle's Law relative to Nitrogen, however, in my toad 32 psi cold rises to 38 and the same tire with nitrogen only rises about 1 psi.

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:38 PM   #50

Quote:
mrblanche Not sure about Boyle's Law relative to Nitrogen, however, in my toad 32 psi cold rises to 38 and the same tire with nitrogen only rises about 1 psi.
I would believe this...maybe...if you said you put nitrogen in the left front and right rear tires, left regular air in the other two, used the same gauge to check all of them, and then you saw the variation you quoted. But there are just too many variables otherwise.

Consumer Reports says that tires filled with nitrogen lose pressure over time, at about 2/3 the rate of air-filled tires. They could find no other advantage to nitrogen.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #51

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
If that holds true then you are running your tires under inflathed. You will notice on the inflation information on tires it states " inflation psi cold", so the tires would not come up the desired inflation. " Food for thought"
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fill your tires with Nitrogen: Snake Oil
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
az bound Your comment, under inflation, is exactly what I stated higher up in the thread. Just for the record I did not pay for the nitrogen. I do not think I would pay for it either, at least not more than $1 per tire.

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:54 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I thought about filling the tires with beer. It would be an extra spot to carry some. Then I considered the fact that after a good Friday night around the campfire I might have a flat or two. It also would be very sad getting a blowout.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
I thought about filling the tires with beer. It would be an extra spot to carry some. Then I considered the fact that after a good Friday night around the campfire I might have a flat or two. It also would be very sad getting a blowout.
Now that right there is funny! Joe