Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Every one is free to spend their money the way they see fit. Pure nitrogen for the tires or designer bottled water...just do what ever flips your fritter.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Just wondering. Have any of the naysayers on this thread ever tried Nitrogen? Has any operator that used Nitrogen decided it was a bad idea?

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:13 AM   #59

Nope_ never even thought about trying it, as I can't seem to change the laws of physics.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:03 AM   #60

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
...... I can't seem to change the laws of physics.
That's because you're not really trying Ray!

Mr.Scott managed to do so almost every week!

"Cap'n, I canna change the laws of physics!"
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #61

Commercial Member

Cool Value of Nitrogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagelpater View Post
Just wondering. Have any of the naysayers on this thread ever tried Nitrogen? Has any operator that used Nitrogen decided it was a bad idea?
Well I have run N2 in my race car but I was also using a pressure gauge that read to 0.1 psi and setting each tire differently. I also used a $300 Temperature probe to get internal tire structure temperature and was adjusting alignment every week.

Is using N2 a bad thing? Absolutely not as far as I am concerend.
Is it necessary for day to day street usage? Never seen any date indicating it is necessary.
Is it worth the expense? Well is a Rolex really give more meaningful time of day than a $19.95 Wally World digital? Depends on the health of your IRA.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:49 AM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
My reason for thinking about Nitrogen is to keep the pressure from building. My front tires are at 112#. I monitor the tires and they reach 128+# in hot weather. I feel this makes the front of the coach ride more firm than at 112#. When it becomes necessary to replace the tires I will consider going to a larger tire. I have not done any research on this as that is maybe 4 years out. I assume that increasing tire size would require calibration of the speedometer, ride height and maybe alignment. That is too far off to worry but I would like to soften the ride now.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:54 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your coach is properly weight and items stored to balance load, than using the tire mfg's pressure tables for weight you should not have a problem.
My 22.5 tires will increase by 15#'s on a trip never had a tire problem.
The front end ride is not hard.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #64

Tiffin Owners Club
I haven't read all the replies so maybe I'm echoing someone-- but consider this:

The reason air pressure goes up is because of heat. The reason for the heat is your tires naturally get hot as they roll and flex. As your tires get hot, the rubber gets softer. As the rubber gets softer, it will support less weight. Supporting less weight means more sidewall flex. More sidewall flex means the tire will generate more heat...

If you have plain old air in the tires, the extra air pressure from the heat helps compensate for the tire's softness. For that reason only, I see no need to run nitrogen in my tires...
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayItForwrd View Post
I haven't read all the replies so maybe I'm echoing someone-- but consider this:

The reason air pressure goes up is because of heat. The reason for the heat is your tires naturally get hot as they roll and flex. As your tires get hot, the rubber gets softer. As the rubber gets softer, it will support less weight. Supporting less weight means more sidewall flex. More sidewall flex means the tire will generate more heat...

If you have plain old air in the tires, the extra air pressure from the heat helps compensate for the tire's softness. For that reason only, I see no need to run nitrogen in my tires...
I think that makes a lot of sense, Joe
Old 10-30-2010, 04:42 PM   #66

If you ignore all of the thermodynamics courses I took

Nitrogen will likely make your teeth whiter, you hair thicker, help you lose weight, and increase the gains in your portfolio

OK there is no proof for any of that, but where is the proof for any of the other claims for nitrogen
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:57 AM   #67
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I have pretty much pure Nitrogen in my fronts and the go from 130lbs to 148lbs when hot and running.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:07 AM   #68

New Horizons Owners Club
Nitrogen will not change tire pressure. Nitrogen will be slightly less reactive with the rubber; however, not enough to affect tire life. All in all nitrogen is not worth any extra expense.

I was a chemist in the oil and gas industry.

If you spend any money on nitrogen, I would like to talk to you about a magic bracelet that helps you feel better and gives you better balance.

Happy trails,

The Sundowner
chaunclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:33 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaunclm View Post
Nitrogen will not change tire pressure. Nitrogen will be slightly less reactive with the rubber; however, not enough to affect tire life. All in all nitrogen is not worth any extra expense.

I was a chemist in the oil and gas industry.

If you spend any money on nitrogen, I would like to talk to you about a magic bracelet that helps you feel better and gives you better balance.

Happy trails,

The Sundowner
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:36 PM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
I was recently shopping for a new toad and the Malibu I bargained for had a dealer added feature of nitrogen filled tires -- for an additional 100 bucks. Naturally, that didn't fly.

I suggest that everyone go out and have their tires filled with N2. Think of the tremendous boost that will give the economy and the new jobs created, probably more than the Cash for Clunkers deal.

JT
RV'nOldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote