RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2019, 08:58 AM   #1

No Discrete Alaska or Mexico Forums

I am sure it has been brought up here before but it is curious that there is no discrete stand alone Alaska and Mexico forums here as on most other sites.

Now I am planning a trip, one of my several there, to Alaska and would like to share what I see and experience as I go north to Fairbanks this time via the Cassiar Highway.

These are places with their own unique challenges and attractions that can easily support their own forums. .

Thousands of RV'ers make this trek to Alaska each year. According to 2017 statistics 86,100 vehicles traveled to Alaska by road/ferry during the summer season. I think it's reasonable to assume most are RV's of one sort or another.

So I'd be interested in the thinking behind this sites relegating these major destinations to just a footnote in a regional forum instead of giving them the primacy of place they, in my opinion, deserve.

If you would like to see a separate Alaska forum here chime in and say why. I'd be interested in your reasoning.

BTFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2019, 09:43 AM   #2

I totally agree. There needs to be Alaska and Mexico forums.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:50 AM   #3

May I suggest you begin an irv2.com blog of your travels.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just did a quick search and found very few threads each year for both. We cannot clutter the forum with new sections for every location. It would be too confusing.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:49 PM   #5

I totally agree, we need a separate forum encompassing both Alaska & Mexico. I'm headed to AK this summer and hope to do Baja next year. I have to go to other forums for the latest.

I don't share CLIFFTSLL opinion. If he's concerned about too many sections why do we have a MH-General Discussions & Problems in the Motor Home section when all the types of Motor Homes already have their own section. This seems redundant. 7 sections under Travel Trailers & 5th Wheels?? 9 sections under RV Life Style Forums?
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #6

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Alaska trips are just driving along roads, like anywhere else in US and Canada IMHO.

Mexico is a bit different, but there are lots of people willing to discuss their experiences in the Navigation, Routes and Roads section.

Maybe a Mexico section in the "Reginal Forums" would work.

Happy Glamping.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:20 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We create forums when we see a sufficient number of posts over a period of time to sustain a new forum.

Unfortunately, we have not seen enough posts at this time to justify a new forum.

However, we are constantly watching the forums to see if any changes need to be made.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:26 PM   #8

With all due respect Cliff, it might be that you are not seeing enough threads or posts due to the fact that when folks like me look here they see no place to generically visit for this type of info or where one would post accordingly so these are posted on other forums which demonstrate some dedicated shared knowledge.

We for sure would be posting under a Mexican Forum to gain experience on exactly what is required for us to go to the Baja, where is the best cross over and we've learnt there are a ton of Canadians and Americans that go there Rving that could share a wealth of knowledge. Baja is to dip our toes in the water so to speak and then hopefully mainland for several trips health willing. Thus far we have gained most of our knowledge through places like Bajanomads and TravelwithKevinandRuth.

FWIW, I agree with others that there is definitely a need for a dedicated Forum for Mexico/Canada/South America, even if grouped together.

Just saying and think its definitely something that should be seriously considered. Kudos to the OP for bringing this up as a potential improvement.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:45 PM   #9

Seems like over the fall and winter we saw/see a lot of Alaska topics for the upcoming year. Obviously it's a bucket list item and can only happen when the weather is good and needs to be planned, so we'll see a rash of responses in the next month or two and then in the fall again reporting on their trip and questions for the next year. IIRC there is a topic in the Camping Locations forum now. Having a separate forum makes it easy for them to find their answers. Not sure of the power you have but if you created the new forum and searched/moved topics into the forum, you'll populate it with quite a few topics.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:01 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The idea of grouping some of these locations sounds like a possible solution here. We’ll look further into it as well as possibly some sorting options to round up these topics such as tags , prefixes etc.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIFFTALL View Post
The idea of grouping some of these locations sounds like a possible solution here. We’ll look further into it as well as possibly some sorting options to round up these topics such as tags , prefixes etc.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
There is only ONE destination on this continent that has the unique qualities and challenges and misconceptions about driving to, and that is Alaska. It is different.

I think just a look at the number of RV's entering Alaska by road should be one great indicator of the potential interest...As I pointed out in my OP more than 80 THOUSAND vehicle entries into Alaska just between the months of May thru September 2017..by far and away most are RV's of some sort.

In addition many who fly to Alaska RENT Rv's there to tour around so the overall numbers are certainly higher.

Second I agree with those that point out that you don't see enough interest in an Alaska forum is because there is no Alaska forum. As the old saying goes build it and they will come.

And I agree you cannot open a new forum for every destination.

I implore you to rethink grouping it within some regional area. The exception would be for an Alaska/Canada forum as you have to pass thru one to get to the other. And the Alaska highway starts in Dawson Creek, BC Canada. (Officially)

Also Alaska Forums serve as rendezvous points for people meeting up to travel the highway together as well as take advantage of the experience of guys like me who are on their 4th trip.

This addition would add a lot to the site and I am sure many appreciate the consideration you are giving to this idea. Right now is a great time to start one as the Alaska season is approaching
BTFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:29 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, that would be nice,
C&SL
05 Sig
C&SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:44 PM   #13

Please don't group Alaska with Mexico. Those are two very different places and it would be difficult to follow.

Group Alaska with Canada..... pleeze?

On another unnamed forum there's a lot of chatter on the Alaska/Canada area.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:53 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIFFTALL View Post
I just did a quick search and found very few threads each year for both. We cannot clutter the forum with new sections for every location. It would be too confusing.

I imagine that is because you don't have a dedicated forum for the topics, you may want to check other boards to see how much traffic you are missing? The Good Sam forum is no where near as good a forum as this one, but they have a Mexico and South America section with over 8200 posts, along with a Canada and Alaska section with over 13,000 posts.

I could see adding the two sections, one for north of the border, Canada and Alaska, and one for south of the border. There several sections of this forum that get one or two posts a month.

But then again, it's your board.

Jim

Tags
forum, scr