Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2020, 04:54 PM   #1

No Fan of Frameless Windows

The pre-owned fifth wheel I recently purchased — a 2016 Bighorn 3575EL — is an all-around great coach and I'm happy with most everything about it. My only complaint has nothing to do with the manufacturer; what I don't like are the frameless windows. My previous fifth wheel was a 2011 Montana and it had conventional windows which were fine. But these frameless units are just frustrating. Specifically, they don't open enough to catch any kind of cross ventilation. With the Montana — or any older coach I guess — the windows opened enough to allow a breeze to at least penetrate the interior. That's it, just venting I suppose. I know frameless windows look great but functional they are not. Just my 2 cents.
edmck101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2020, 05:20 PM   #2

I agree. Hate the poor ventilation. The major supplier of the aluminum sliders was Hehr. It appears Hehr has been sold, closed and frameless windows will be the only future option.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:25 PM   #3

X3.........
Stuff-Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:03 PM   #4

I have a fantastic fan open windows turn fan on ventilate works good
Daverene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daverene View Post
I have a fantastic fan open windows turn fan on ventilate works good

Same here, just turn on the fantastic fan and open the farthest away window. It will act as a house attic fan and suck the hot air out of the RV fast.
Edit - I like the option of leaving the windows open while away and not to worry about any rain getting inside. If the windows are not acceptable for your style, then visit a RV salvage yard or overstock store and replace the ones you want for cheap.
https://bontragers.com/rv-supplies-accessories/
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:38 PM   #6

Yes Fantastic Fans work well-but I must agree with the OP. Combine older style windows AND a fantastic fan it’s waaaay more than you can compare to today’s frameless miniaturized slots. The new windows need to be improved to open more than they currently do.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:49 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Yep, frameless windows were a 'no sale' for us when we were shopping for our current RV.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:19 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With fantastic fans, we've have gotten use to the windows.

Our main slide has the older style slider windows in the front and rear of the slide that are great for moving air.

Maybe the OP could change a few windows and get good results.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:25 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The major supplier of the aluminum sliders was Hehr. It appears Hehr has been sold, closed and frameless windows will be the only future option.

It sure looks like both Hehr & Kinro RV-style windows remain available - I see sources for them online. I suspect that RV makers have just gone for the bling of "frameless", and maybe saved some $$ as well. They are notorious for choosing form over function.

The frameless part would be ok if the windows opened to a wide enough angle. I've had Rvs with louver or awning type windows before and they all opening to at least 60 degrees, enough to get nice natural air flow. The new frameless styles simply don't open wide enough to be very useful for ventilation without forced air flow.

Hehr windows, Hehr International, RV windows
https://www.pellandent.com/RV-WIndow...ote-Hehr-Kinro
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:42 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
We had rigs with framed windows for years, then we got one with frameless windows. Kept it for 4 years, but we learned the lesson of needing the fan on most of the time to get airflow. Current rig has framed windows (Tiffin makes their own). I have to admit to preferring framed ones.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:05 PM   #11

We have the euro style frameless windows. Seems like they should open more than they do. We knew this as we shopped for our current trailer. Our compromise was that our camper has 3 MaxxAir fans, two entry doors, and good insulation. Works for us. Last camper had euro windows with poor insulation and a single door. Got too hot. I agree though, framed windows give better airflow. Not good if frameless are your main source of ventilation.
LeisurePursuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:09 PM   #12

I see a good business opportunity for someone to make a prop rod extension so that the frameless windows could be held open further.
LeisurePursuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:25 PM   #13

We like them after getting used to them, nice being able to have them open in the rain. You can make them open more by trimming the plastic spacer in the center of the window that stop the arms when cranking, I did this on our main 2 living room windows. We have had one extremely bad experience though, we had one fracture along the top hinge and bottom arm track and it blew off going down the freeway at 65mph! Luckily no body was in the fast lane when it happened as I saw it land and shatter on the road in my mirror. Jayco did finally replace it under warranty but it took a fight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	89DF19A7-391D-4F73-A1CB-669AE653D0FE.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	273274   Click image for larger version

Name:	F39B072B-CCD2-48AC-AAB7-63AED34B1A07.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	273275  

BMGM37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:35 AM   #14

I made a couple of prop rods for the "Emergency Exit" windows that can swing way out, from electrical pvc conduit. Works great.
JK

Tags
fan, frame, wind, window