Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I saw this on the news the other day in TX. It seems the only thing changing is providing two forms of proof of residency. The example they used is a mortgage, lease, etc and a bill mailed to that address.

I know just what I saw on the news.

My wife and I use S.D. too. We renew in 2014. S.D. initiated the use of that form the year after we got our licenses so we'll get to sign it in 2014. I have noticed on many S.D. forms they have space for 2 addresses. One is the residency address (hotel/motel/RV Park) and the other is your mailing address.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #16

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
In Texas you DO need a SSN for license (new or renewal) Just went thru the renewal process and can assure you it is required........
Which is interesting since SSNs aren't supposed to be used for ID (look at your SS card) and it may be illegal to do so.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Which is interesting since SSNs aren't supposed to be used for ID (look at your SS card) and it may be illegal to do so.
That info is a little outdated. The new cards don't say "Not to be used for identification" any longer.
I don't know when the change was made but it was sometime earlier than two summers ago when I got my new card.

Looks like the Feds slipped that in under the radar.

On EDIT: I found some info on the subject HERE
Old 05-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #18
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post

I also got a new SS card because the old one was laminated and that is no longer allowed. I could have used an SS issued 1099 but opted for a new card anyway.

It will be interesting to see how other states handle it and how it affects full timers.
It's going to be interesting on my SS Card. I received it around 1955, laminated it, otherwise it would be mush now. What in the world are they thinking that you can't laminate a ss card? I'm baffled, but that's easy to do.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
It's going to be interesting on my SS Card. I received it around 1955, laminated it, otherwise it would be mush now. What in the world are they thinking that you can't laminate a ss card? I'm baffled, but that's easy to do.
It supposedly interferes with some of the security features built into the new card. I don't know why or how it does that though.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:

We were told at the SS office that the old cards, like hubby's (laminated) card from 1956, were in fact no longer valid, and that a new one had to be applied for. And NOT laminated.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
We were told at the SS office that the old cards, like hubby's (laminated) card from 1956, were in fact no longer valid, and that a new one had to be applied for. And NOT laminated.
Valid for what, exactly? I don't recall when I've ever needed the actual card. In fact, I don't have my original card from 1972 or so, I just have the stub half that it was attached to.

When do you need an actual Social Security card?

joe
Old 05-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you want to get a drivers license in Texas, you need to produce a SS card. Otherwise, no license.

Ken
Old 05-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two years ago, we had to provide our SS cards and birth certificates, in addition to a recent utility bill stub to prove residency, in order to obtain a first time drivers license in Montana. They would not accept our valid drivers license from our previous state as a form of identification. My wife had to present our marriage license to prove why her last name was was not the same as shown on her birth certificate. I have a 1955 SS card, and they accepted it with no problem, even though it is REALLY tattered.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am not sure what the problem is with getting a drivers license. I have never seen any vehicle that did not have a license plate( not counting some that I suspect were illegally driven) I would imagine you would get your drivers license in the same state where the vehicle was licensed. There used to be some old laws about violations of some kind of tri state issue. Having your vehicle registered in one state, drivers license issued from a different state, and driving in a third state. I do not know if those laws are still around or what states had them. Regardless of all that. Has anyone had trouble getting a drivers license in the same state they have their vehicle registered in.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:31 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig1965 View Post
Here is a Q&A from New York State DMV about having two drivers licenses:

I keep a residence in NYS part of the year and in another state the other part of the year. Can I keep my NYS driver license and also get a driver license from the other state?

Contact the Motor Vehicle Department in the other state. If that state issues a driver license that is valid only within that state (a "one state only" driver license), you can apply for that type of driver license and also keep your NYS driver license.

If the other state does not issue a "one state only" driver license, then you must decide in which state you will have a driver license. You cannot have a driver license from more than one state, unless one of the driver licenses is a "one state only" driver license.

Note: NYS does not issue a "one state only" driver license.

If you apply for a "full" driver license in another state, you will be required to surrender your NYS driver license to that state. You can apply for a NYS non-driver photo ID card after your driver license from the other state is issued.
I am confussed. You still have your New York residence and live there part of the year, then Texas for the winter. Why change to TX license??

We live in Indiana, spent 3 months in San Benito, Tx, no problem...
haooy trails, old trucker
Old 05-06-2012, 07:24 AM   #26
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
...Regardless of all that. Has anyone had trouble getting a drivers license in the same state they have their vehicle registered in.
The Real ID Act (Federal law) has made providing identification in order to obtain a drivers license more difficult. However, once you have obtained a license under the new system, all you have to do to renew is show your old license.

The Real ID Act requires several forms of identification, including in most cases a SS card, to prove you are who you say you are. Most states also require a utility bill, mortgage payment receipt or rent receipt to prove you actually live where you say you live. Fortunately for us full-timers, the states that welcome us have also made provision in their laws to accommodate our lifestyle by allowing us to substitute a campground or hotel/motel receipt for the utility bill.

The Real ID Act took effect in the last year or two, so license renewals under the new law are just starting. Most states require drivers license renewals every 4 to 5 years, so some won't experience the Real ID Act for a few more years.

I have read several posts on other forums about people who had difficulty renewing their license under the new system, mostly because they were missing one or more of the required pieces of identification. For example, in SD, women who changed their name when they married must also have a copy of their marriage license because their birth certificate will show a different name. Additionally, if both spouses are renewing their licenses at the same time, BOTH names must appear on the campground receipt. It's not that hard to come up with the necessary information, but everyone needs to check out their own state's requirements because it's a PITA if you miss something.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #27
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hmm! I wonder what foreigners have to provide since they most likely do not have a SS card?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #28
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Hmm! I wonder what foreigners have to provide since they most likely do not have a SS card?

Do the Danes have a US license or one from their country. If so, they could tell you.

Tags
texas