Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #1

No more Texas drivers license

Texas just stopped giving drivers license to people that do not have a residence in Texas. Read this news site.

New rules kicking in for Texas driver’s license, ID card | Newswatch | a Chron.com blog
JGrosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

This is interesting stuff. It was my understanding that one always had to be a resident of Texas to get a DL. It sounds like the new law requires proof of 30 day residence if (and only if) one is getting a license for the first time or is unwilling to surrender their out of state license.

I sure didn't interpret it to mean "no more Texas Drivers License".
Am I missing something?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
This is interesting stuff. It was my understanding that one always had to be a resident of Texas to get a DL. It sounds like the new law requires proof of 30 day residence if (and only if) one is getting a license for the first time or is unwilling to surrender their out of state license.
It seems that what they are trying to do is eliminate a non-resident from getting an 'extra' Texas DL in addition to another state. You were probably always supposed to be a resident to get a Texas DL, now they apparently will ask for some form of proof. Only the 30-day requirement is waived if you surrender a license, the two-forms-of-proof requirement remains. The 'proof' part is what I think is new, or at least I was not asked for that when I first got a Texas DL about ten years ago.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is a Q&A from New York State DMV about having two drivers licenses:

I keep a residence in NYS part of the year and in another state the other part of the year. Can I keep my NYS driver license and also get a driver license from the other state?

Contact the Motor Vehicle Department in the other state. If that state issues a driver license that is valid only within that state (a "one state only" driver license), you can apply for that type of driver license and also keep your NYS driver license.

If the other state does not issue a "one state only" driver license, then you must decide in which state you will have a driver license. You cannot have a driver license from more than one state, unless one of the driver licenses is a "one state only" driver license.

Note: NYS does not issue a "one state only" driver license.

If you apply for a "full" driver license in another state, you will be required to surrender your NYS driver license to that state. You can apply for a NYS non-driver photo ID card after your driver license from the other state is issued.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #5

You think this is geared toward the general direction of our friends in Livingston, the Escapees?
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottffss View Post
You think this is geared toward the general direction of our friends in Livingston, the Escapees?
Could be that people using mail forwarding services to evade residency requirements is part of the reason for the new rules but if so that is the fault of those trying to bypass the law. I would rather see rules like this put in place at the DMV rather than restricting the utility of mail forwarding services.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

It's just fall-out from the federal "Real ID" Act, which requires each state to establish a verifiable unique ID for their residents. The idea is to prevent people from having multiple IDs, whether for driving or other purposes. Showing some proof of residency is part of the verified ID process, and that can get sticky for a fulltime RVer. It's going to be the same problem in any state, though, because they are all trying to achieve the same goal of a unique and verifiable ID.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrosman View Post
Texas just stopped giving drivers license to people that do not have a residence in Texas. Read this news site.

New rules kicking in for Texas driver’s license, ID card | Newswatch | a Chron.com blog
This is funny because in 1992, I couldn't get my Texas license until I had a Texas registered vehicle and Texas Proof of Liability Insurance Card (I guess because I was a vehicle owner).

I couldn't figure it out because what if someone had an out of state driver's license and did not own a car? Did that mean that at that time the person could not apply for a Texas Driver's License? Anyway, blah blah.....

This new law does not look to me to be a problem for legitimate new residents moving into the state that need their Texas DL issued and are in good standing with the State they left.....
Old 05-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
It's just fall-out from the federal "Real ID" Act, which requires each state to establish a verifiable unique ID for their residents. The idea is to prevent people from having multiple IDs, whether for driving or other purposes. Showing some proof of residency is part of the verified ID process, and that can get sticky for a fulltime RVer. It's going to be the same problem in any state, though, because they are all trying to achieve the same goal of a unique and verifiable ID.

Makes sense to me.....
Old 05-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #11

This is a full timer problem. I have been on the road for 14 years. From Texas before retired. Just a mail service for the last 14 years. Only go to Texas every few years to see friends. Just because you have a old license does not mean that you can get a new one even after 40 years of living here. I will not qualify for a license now. If all states go to it, none of us will. By the way, you still do not have to show citizenship to get a license. You do not have to have a social security number. You do not have to show a picture ID to vote.
JGrosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #12

Quote:
This is a full timer problem. I have been on the road for 14 years. From Texas before retired. Just a mail service for the last 14 years. Only go to Texas every few years to see friends. Just because you have a old license does not mean that you can get a new one even after 40 years of living here. I will not qualify for a license now.
I don't think the change will affect you or most full-timers who were residents of Texas and have a current TX driver's license. First of all the law apples to applicants for an original license which seems to mean that it doesn't apply to renewals, and even if so the standards are not that difficult to meet, for instance proof of residence can be a Texas registration or title, a 1099 form, any mail from a financial institution, etc. The way I read the law most people who are 'continuing' TX residents (meaning they were TX residents at the time they began full-timing, and have some address in the state even if it is a mail forwarder) should find it easy to comply with the requirements (which again don't even seem to apply to renewals anyway.)
Old 05-05-2012, 06:56 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
You do not have to have a social security number.
In Texas you DO need a SSN for license (new or renewal) Just went thru the renewal process and can assure you it is required........
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My wife and I had to renew our SD DLs two summers ago.
SD got around part of new federal rules issue by requiring a receipt for a one night stay in a motel/hotel/RV park and having us sign an affidavit saying that we will return to SD in the future.

I also got a new SS card because the old one was laminated and that is no longer allowed. I could have used an SS issued 1099 but opted for a new card anyway.

It will be interesting to see how other states handle it and how it affects full timers.

Tags
texas