Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #43
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Annie and I are happily in it for the long run. She is my perfect companion. If anything were to happen to her I would miss her and ache forever. Sure - I would be fine - but I would not take a chance on Driving Miss Crazy. (Not referring to the OPs friend) but it is hard to imagine finding the right travel companion in 1) a short time or 2) by Internet connection. Small spaces - traveling places - takes a well tuned and highly compatible couple. I have seen / heard the result of unhappy unions in campgrounds before. Not pleasant to be around and would not chance heading out to points unknown with a near or complete stranger. Not a chance. Even thinking back to having roommates many years ago - seemed fine - could not wait to see them go.
Then comes the question of where is your friend going to sleep? Most RV's have a one bedroom situation. What you suggest (RanCarr) is a little too close for comfort and better left to something once a relationship is established. Not something as just "Here I am, Where are we going"?
Somehow, I don't see a 70 year old woman sleeping on an uncomfortable Jacknife or Hideabed couch for more than a day.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
^^^ or in the cab over of a C... Our coach does have a great queen air mattress sofa sleeper but the up down daily would get old methinks after a while. The old "cocktails for 6, dinner for 4, sleeps 2 - assumed the same bed I'm guessing - but could be wrong on that. A family is different - kids make do - BIL is ok on couch a few days or so. Otherwise not so much. Not saying it can't be worked out or the right situation doesn't exist. I'm sure it does, but might just be difficult to find. I agree - a plan among existing good friends is a more likely prospect for success. And even that could end badly. I do hope it works out for the friend. These days - in her 70s she has many miles left on. It's the new 50 you know.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #45

Traveling Companion

First, I must say that it's REALLY hard to find someone compatible that you want to be confined with for any length of time. I lived on a boat for 10 years and when my partner left, I tried to find crew to help me. That is a really long story and it's not a pretty one.

There is a Facebook group called RV Singles - https://www.facebook.com/groups/163428527139904/ which she might be able to join. There are couple RV groups on Yahoo Groups - one is All About Rving and the other is RV Singles, a lot of the people on the Facebook are from the latter group. In one of them, there was talk about trying to work out details of traveling companions. Maybe she could get on there and start a conversation with some of them, especially the singles group.

As for me, I learned my lesson from being on the boat. I don't have anyone to go with and I don't have a rig, but I'm selling boat, house, car and looking to buy a truck and 5th wheel. It's better than trying to find someone or staying home and wishing I was out there.

Good luck to RanCarr's friend and any others looking to buddy up.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #46

If I remember right

I believe RanCarr's original post had to do with "people meeting people" (like-minded RVr's).

I think many of you are getting way out there and assuming that her friend wants to "shack" up with someone right away. Just my opinion, but the way I see it is, that's entirely up to the people that meet, how they "start" their travel adventure together, and when. Instead of focusing your thoughts on the negatives, what about some positive input?

Here's one, how about two people meeting, having a couple of "dates" and they enjoy each other's company. Next, they decide to go on a weekend campout, next they decide platonic will work best so they buy one of those "eggs" and tow it. There, they can sleep separate!

Denise
Old 09-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not being Single - not having a horse in the race - my last comment on this is - we have all informally met lots of people here - some with and some without RVs - some seeking to platonically travel - some perhaps interested in it. So far it doesn't look like many, if any have actually made a connection. Still - I hope those seeking a traveling connection find one!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #48

Getting back to the original question, here is another single retires site.

RetiredSingles.com: The Leading Retired Single Site on the Net
1998 Hitchhiker ll, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator
richardcoxid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardcoxid View Post

thanks Richard, way to stay on track Denise
Old 09-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #50
laj

interesting for me is at first i thought the issue was entirely different then it seems to be unfolding now. one can be in an Rv on the road and other then the driving is not really alone. I meet lots of great people all over and in various places. it's a great life out there.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

I see a strong expectation that this would be a "safe, moderated site" for RanCarr's friend to pursue her desire to find a companion to travel with. Why would IRV2 be any safer than any other internet match-up site? As a staff member, I'm certainly not going to vet the intentions of whomever might respond if we had a "companion wanted" board. We ask that our members be polite in their posted messages, but that means nothing as far as their private behavior is concerned.

Creating a board strictly for meeting up with others serves as an attraction for people with ulterior motives, adding yet another set of concerns for the staff. No thanks!
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
rancar you do have a hard to fill issue. I think you have expectations implied or not that are hard to avoid. I would want a certain amount of interaction before inviting an essential stranger to just hop in and go for an extended trip across country.
I'm sure she would also want to know the person or people (if women) before taking off with them. Anyway, I gave her the information on the site for people looking for traveling companions. It's up to her now. I'm finished with it.

Quote:
I believe I understand what you are trying to accomplish just not sure how to get it done in a reasonably safe manner for both involved. As you stated people, and camping have changed drastically since the 60 and 70's.
The change is unreal. I couldn't believe I was in the same country when I got back into camping 6 years ago. Good grief, it was a whole different world.

Quote:
if she had friends that had like desires with an already established relationship perhaps they could either rent a small Rv together or even buy one jointly. still thinking on your subject
She has no friends into traveling. As I said, she has that info so she can take it from there. I wish she lived closer to us but she's a good 1900 miles away.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:37 AM   #53
laj

sometimes one can put themselves in difficult positions trying to help a friend
Old 09-06-2013, 12:37 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloopygirl View Post
First, I must say that it's REALLY hard to find someone compatible that you want to be confined with for any length of time. I lived on a boat for 10 years and when my partner left, I tried to find crew to help me. That is a really long story and it's not a pretty one.
I can well imagine as I went through roommate-hell before I remarried. It's difficult to find someone companionable, honest, clean....that is the sad truth. I thinks she already suspects that.

Quote:
There is a Facebook group called RV Singles - https://www.facebook.com/groups/163428527139904/ which she might be able to join. There are couple RV groups on Yahoo Groups - one is All About Rving and the other is RV Singles, a lot of the people on the Facebook are from the latter group. In one of them, there was talk about trying to work out details of traveling companions. Maybe she could get on there and start a conversation with some of them, especially the singles group.
Thanks, I'll give her this information also.

Quote:
As for me, I learned my lesson from being on the boat. I don't have anyone to go with and I don't have a rig, but I'm selling boat, house, car and looking to buy a truck and 5th wheel. It's better than trying to find someone or staying home and wishing I was out there.

Good luck to RanCarr's friend and any others looking to buddy up.
I hope it works out for her as I'm sure it's something she would really enjoy.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:40 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardcoxid View Post

Apparently that site no longer exists as the name is for sale, but thanks anyway.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:45 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I see a strong expectation that this would be a "safe, moderated site" for RanCarr's friend to pursue her desire to find a companion to travel with. Why would IRV2 be any safer than any other internet match-up site?
For one it doesn't seem to be a place for freaks to hang out.

Quote:
As a staff member, I'm certainly not going to vet the intentions of whomever might respond if we had a "companion wanted" board. We ask that our members be polite in their posted messages, but that means nothing as far as their private behavior is concerned.
This is very true. The nicest appearing and sounding person can be like those Texas chain saw murderers. Seriously....

Quote:
Creating a board strictly for meeting up with others serves as an attraction for people with ulterior motives, adding yet another set of concerns for the staff. No thanks!
I guess people would start using it as a free dating service.