Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2013, 03:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
do we really want to have something like that?
Single people looking for traveling/camping companions with RVs might love it. I don't know. I'm not a widow or widower or a woman RVer looking for a companion, male or female.

Quote:
Really?
Quote:
I am guessing there are numerous other locations on the net for this kind of thing.
Numerous places where people can find others with RVs who are looking for traveling companions? Just about all the sites I know of are for singles who already own their own RV.... at 75 she doesn't want her own RV.

Quote:
Things get off topic pretty often like it is now. I cam imagine how weird that might get. Naw, we don't need folks openly looking for companionship. That is what private messaging can be used for.
If she came to this Forum, how would she know who to send private messages to... IOW, how would she know who would love a traveling companion? With the attitude I'm seeing here in regard to my suggestion, and that's all it was, people would be afraid to mention such a thing.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2013, 06:00 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Here is a site dedicated to matching up RV'ers with similar interests. Like any site there may be a few wierdos but for the most part it is a good site.

Why RV alone? - RV fulltiming - experiences, advice and help - Roaming Times
easlingn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
A word of caution....for every honest person out there just looking to share an experience and expenses are the predators looking to take advantage of an elder.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Seems to me you are spending more time lobbying for this than your friend. If she is so interested why isn't she online joining in on the discussion? IRV-2 isn't a dating service. there are many places on the WEB that will fill your friends interests. If she is so well off why doesn't she just buy a small RV and take off in it.
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Annie and I are happily in it for the long run. She is my perfect companion. If anything were to happen to her I would miss her and ache forever. Sure - I would be fine - but I would not take a chance on Driving Miss Crazy. (Not referring to the OPs friend) but it is hard to imagine finding the right travel companion in 1) a short time or 2) by Internet connection. Small spaces - traveling places - takes a well tuned and highly compatible couple. I have seen / heard the result of unhappy unions in campgrounds before. Not pleasant to be around and would not chance heading out to points unknown with a near or complete stranger. Not a chance. Even thinking back to having roommates many years ago - seemed fine - could not wait to see them go.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

As most of us have experienced, some days it's hard enough to be cooped up in an RV with someone you know and love. I can't imagine sharing one with a complete stranger.

RanCarr--perhaps your friend could RENT an RV and do a little traveling with you and your hubby.

That said, we are currently not considering adding any more sections to the forum. The Solo board would be the best bet for posting interest in a travel companion.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
A thread? I'm talking about a section just to meet others with an interest in RVs. The woman may be the RV owner and an older gent say, no longer driving, may be thrilled to take a trip with her somewhere. She gets a companion and someone to share expenses, and he gets to take a trip with a companion. A thread will fall to the bottom and soon be forgotten.
Hi RanCarr, you are such a sweetie, this would really be good as I'm sure there are a lot of singles out here that would like to team up. I don't know how other singles feel, but sometimes I feel like the 5th wheel(no pun intended) or leper At the same time, I love my "couples" friends. I just like all kinds of people, so I don't like "singles only" sites, and dating sites, yetch!!

I would so love to meet a lady and do a Golden Girls kind of thing. I honestly doubt I ever will get hooked up with a "mate" type situation, it's been 17 years and I am 60, LOL! But if I had a gal-friend that was pretty-much like-minded about RVing, we could got together and see who's out there, LOL!!

I just think getting "out there" and meeting people that are RVing, get to sit around a campfire, or just mingle with a group, would be wonderful!
nwcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
As most of us have experienced, some days it's hard enough to be cooped up in an RV with someone you know and love. I can't imagine sharing one with a complete stranger.

RanCarr--perhaps your friend could RENT an RV and do a little traveling with you and your hubby.

That said, we are currently not considering adding any more sections to the forum. The Solo board would be the best bet for posting interest in a travel companion.
Hi Sarah, I think if you are single, you get another point of view. Maybe you have been single in the past, I don't know, but it really is hard to find an honest "monitored" place to meet other singles. I think it would be good to be able to just place an ad, in the classified area, if someone wants to be a caregiver, or meet someone to travel with (male or female). Is it ok to put an ad like that on here somewhere? Work-camping is a "heading" that could come under? I know I didn't want to post something like my caregiving without knowing for sure.

Denise
Old 09-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Annie and I are happily in it for the long run. She is my perfect companion. If anything were to happen to her I would miss her and ache forever. Sure - I would be fine - but I would not take a chance on Driving Miss Crazy. (Not referring to the OPs friend) but it is hard to imagine finding the right travel companion in 1) a short time or 2) by Internet connection. Small spaces - traveling places - takes a well tuned and highly compatible couple. I have seen / heard the result of unhappy unions in campgrounds before. Not pleasant to be around and would not chance heading out to points unknown with a near or complete stranger. Not a chance. Even thinking back to having roommates many years ago - seemed fine - could not wait to see them go.
There may be some success stories we don't know about though Steve I mean, I wouldn't just move in with a man in an RV, but I would go with a woman on a trial run, see how we do together. But for singles that want to try and meet a mate, I wouldn't think "no one" has any luck meeting a good travel buddy.

Denise
PS You are blessed to have someone, but lots of people don't and they are good people. Yes, there are dangerous crazies out there and people need to be smart. Being on a site that has so many nice, down-to-Earth people(couples and singles), seems like a better chance of meeting someone, that someone knows. A lot better than those dating sites.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
Seems to me you are spending more time lobbying for this than your friend. If she is so interested why isn't she online joining in on the discussion? IRV-2 isn't a dating service. there are many places on the WEB that will fill your friends interests. If she is so well off why doesn't she just buy a small RV and take off in it.

I don't know if I'm the friend, but I am looking for a caregiver/companion situation. I had one gal-friend that was going to go with me, and now she got into another situation back in PA. Now I am hoping to find another lady to travel with. But I know there are singles out here that would like to meet a mate. It would be good to have a safe, moderated place to meet folks. I wouldn't go for the dating sites, they are awful. Spent some time way back when. I did meet some nice people but for the most part, they are not "friendly", kind of like hangin in a bar, which I did that in my 20's and never care to do again:(

I don't think any of us should be too quick to judge someone that would like to RV, but not go alone. When you have a mate, your own RV, and time to go, it's easy to forget those that are less fortunate.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Single people looking for traveling/camping companions with RVs might love it. I don't know. I'm not a widow or widower or a woman RVer looking for a companion, male or female.

[I][B]

Numerous places where people can find others with RVs who are looking for traveling companions? Just about all the sites I know of are for singles who already own their own RV.... at 75 she doesn't want her own RV.

If she came to this Forum, how would she know who to send private messages to... IOW, how would she know who would love a traveling companion? With the attitude I'm seeing here in regard to my suggestion, and that's all it was, people would be afraid to mention such a thing.
No kidding, it's a leper, unclean, unclean It's the world though RanCarr, not just this forum. I am thanking God right now there are folks like you out there, in the world I hope I get to meet you one day, Denise
Old 09-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nwcountry - whether we agree on this one or not isn't important. What is important to me is seeing you post again after being off radar for a month. Have thought and wondered how you were doing more than once.

I will say there is no one on this site that I would cosign a note for - and some I would meet up with at a campground without much additional screening. The ones I would meet - we email and talk on the phone and have developed a more formal relationship over time - outside the forum.

I do think the caregiver role is a calling. I suspect there are channels for that, and I would definitely want references and experience. I have not been single for years - but seem to recall dating was fairly easily achieved - compatibility more difficult. Finding a same sex travel companion may be easier, I don't know. On this and all things - Annie and I wish you luck and much happiness.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Nwcountry - whether we agree on this one or not isn't important. What is important to me is seeing you post again after being off radar for a month. Have thought and wondered how you were doing more than once.

I will say there is no one on this site that I would cosign a note for - and some I would meet up with at a campground without much additional screening. The ones I would meet - we email and talk on the phone and have developed a a more formal relationship over time - outside the forum.

I do think the caregiver role is a calling. I suspect there are channels for that, and I would definitely want references and experience. I have not been single for years - but seem to recall dating was fairly easily achieved - compatibility more difficult. Finding a same sex travel companion may be easier, I don't know. On this and all things - Annie and I wish you luck and much happiness.
You can't truly know someone until you "get to know them". You have to exchange some communication, meet, get references,etc. That would be just stupid for anyone to "cosign" for someone they only met online. I am a bit smarter than that. And I wouldn't move in with some guy I didn't know either.

I'm looking for another woman that wants a travel-buddy, someone single like myself.

I don't hang out here Steve because I am not an RVr, but, if I have an RV related question or thought, I know where to come. Good luck to you and Annie as well
Old 09-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
A word of caution....for every honest person out there just looking to share an experience and expenses are the predators looking to take advantage of an elder.
I second this, and not just elders either. People need to use the brains God gave them, but you can still get sucker-punched in this world. And by some of the "nicest" people, or so you thought.