RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2019, 11:25 AM   #1

No power to outlet, how do you find out why?

The outlet in the bathroom has no power. Ron checked the outlet with a voltometer. It is wired in correctly. The wires go out from the outlet and into the floor. How is one suppose to track down the source of the problem? Any advice? thank you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2019, 11:28 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Usually Bathrooms and other 110v plugs have GFI protection. Look to see if you have one tripped. They are generally wired as a chain so that if one GFI trips other plugs will die as well.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:50 AM   #3

I won't go into questions about testing for correct wiring with a voltmeter on a dead outlet .
But , I'll second TonyDi's advice on searching for a tripped GFCI , by code your bathroom outlet has to be GFCI protected as well the ones in your kitchen. Most coaches will have two GFCIs

Starting at your dead outlet , go back to the RV's 120 volt circuit breaker panel , then examine every outlet in between the two, to see if it's a tripped GFCI.

AND if your RV is equipped with an inverter , don't forget that there may be a circuit breaker or GFCI on the inverter its self .
Old 05-12-2019, 11:53 AM   #4

Lots of rvs have only two or three circuits running the entire inside of the rv. The one in the bathroom is probably linked to some of the ones in the kitchen/living room area. If the bathroom plug in doesn't have a gfi reset on it, look around the rv for other plugs that have the reset on them. Reset any you see. This is usually the problem. The other possibility is you have blown a breaker using too much electricity. Hair dryers are famous for it. The breakers will be in your electrical panel. Be sure to shut them off, then turn them back on. That is how you reset a breaker. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #5

If none of the above works for you I would disconnect the power cord and open the breaker box. You will find a bar (s) with screws holding neutral wires in place. These will be white in color. Check each wire for tightness with a screwdriver. While you are in there check all the black wires on the breakers to be sure they are tight also. These wires have been known to loosen up from bouncing down a highway. I check mine yearly when I get my MH out of storage just as a precaution.
The GFI plugs have been know to fail as well. If you find power to the wires on the plug and nothing works when plugged in this would indicate a faulty plug. be sure you have the power cord plugged back in when doing this test. Be careful though as you are probing 120 volts of electricity.
Be safe. If you aren't confident you can do this test find someone who knows electricity and have them do it for you.
Lynn
Old 05-12-2019, 07:09 PM   #6

Ron checked the actual wires in and out and they had no power. The breakers are not isolated to that specific outlet and none of them were tripped. No other GFI's were tripped and no other outlets are NOT working. They all work. He will check for loose wires. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:25 PM   #7

Just a shot in the dark. Do you have an outside plug, or in one of your bays that might be a gfi.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:43 PM   #8

Could be a defective gfi, the gfi outlet it's self may be hot, but the load side may not be. While plugged into shore power, but with all of the breakers turned off, check for continuity between the ground and white wire, if there is no continuity, it is most likely a tripped gfi, or a defective gfi feeding that receptacle. GFI's open both the hot and neutral when they trip.
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:51 PM   #9

Wires jiggle loose frequently while driving our wonderfully smooth highways. Begin with the defective receptacle and work backwards toward the main breaker panel. I use a wireless tester for convenience and speed, when I find the point where voltage stops/starts I use a VOM to test for voltage. Now the general location of the break is located I begin by tightening all connections, then with shore power disconnected, I run a length of small wire(extension of VOM test lead) to test each Romex wire for continuity. (remember-no AC voltage in the RV)

A side note; each spring I insure all wiring connections, especially in the transfer switch, are tight, with no indication of excess heat.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Just a shot in the dark. Do you have an outside plug, or in one of your bays that might be a gfi.
Especially check your wet bay.
Lynn
Old 05-15-2019, 11:42 AM   #11

I have a plug inside the compartment next to the walk in door. It's on the "roof" of the compartment and there is a cover on the floor of the compartment to string a cord through. I discovered this after I had used my MH a few times and had complained about not having an outside outlet. This plug is GFI protected.
If I was the OP I would check all the compartments closely. My plug is well hidden unless you are looking for it.
Lynn
Old 05-16-2019, 05:38 AM   #12

Thank you. I will recheck all the outlets.
rimfire7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimfire7 View Post
Thank you. I will recheck all the outlets.
Please let us know what you find (or didn't find).
Lynn
Old 05-16-2019, 07:23 AM   #14

you said that both the input and output wires from this outlet did not have power. but you said all other outlets did have power. so that means you have a problem in another outlet or the circuit breaker that is in the chain prior to this outlet. a loose output connection in the prior outlet would keep power from reaching the one you are testing.

bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power