Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
No power when I disconnect from shore power.

After sitting for two months I connected my 1999 Winnebago Chieftain (Ford) to shore power for a couple of days. When I disconnected from shore power I have no house power at all. Batteries check good, vehicle battery is good and starts vehicle.
-
I've obviously checked the AUX battery switch a dozen times, and I've reset all the circuit breakers. Still dead. Reconnected to shore power and everything is fine. Any ideas what to try next?

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Loose battery terminals?
Old 10-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedoc View Post
Loose battery terminals?
Checked them when I checked the voltage on the batteries. They are clean and tight.
-
We were suppose to be on the road at first light. This may really screw up our vacation. Looks like the tech in the morning if they are willing to see us without an appointment. If not, this could be a vacation killer.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 10-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #4

Get a voltmeter and start measuring voltage.

Start at battery and work towards converter.

Check grounds as well.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Check the converter for power in and out. There should be a reset on it. Did anyone hit the 12 volt switch inside the MH?
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #6

Check for fuses on converter box. All in good order? I once lost all inside lights and plug ins after unhooking shore power. My book shows that somewhere in converter box it will reset after some hours if this problem occurs. It did, next a.m. lights came on when I hit the switch. Didn't do anything, just waited it out. I'm still baffled why this condition happened. It was the only time in 5 years it did occur.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
Checked them when I checked the voltage on the batteries. They are clean and tight.
-
We were suppose to be on the road at first light. This may really screw up our vacation. Looks like the tech in the morning if they are willing to see us without an appointment. If not, this could be a vacation killer.
As others have said; follow the voltage. The connections may look clean and tight, but may not be passing current.

Friend had a boat that would not start. Voltmeter showed 12+ volts, but the terminals were so corroded on the inside that they showed the voltage, but would not pass enough current to energize the start solenoid. Take them off and clean them shinny bright with one of those buck - $2.98 cleaning tools from your local auto parts store.

When you have the battery terminals off, loosen and tighten or reseat all the connectors to eliminate corrosion.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:54 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
I second Dunner's comment.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:27 AM   #9

If you cycle the house disconnect switch on and off can you hear it clicking? If not, locate it and see your version has small blade type fuses in them at one or both ends. Pictured below is an Intellitec version..... yours may or may not be the same.
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Raining Star,

When the shore power is disconnected the converter is out of the picture. What is left is 12 volts getting from the batteries to the distribution panel. Looking at the schematic for your R/V there is one relay that power goes through and then to the panel.
Check this wiring diagram for help . Wiring Diagrams this way there is no question about how things go together,

Fair winds

Dave
Capn_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #11

DO NOT just start cleaning things!

Measure first, have a helper trun on things while you measure voltage.

Measure across connections.

For battery, one lead on post, the other in the wire via a pin inserted into the wire.

When you mrasure a voltage drop then you KNOW it is bad, then clean or repair the connection and then the drop is gone via same measurement you have a CONFIRMED repair.

Done this for 30 + years, troubleshooting requires slow and careful steps to quickly find and repair the problem.

Random cleaning often makes problem go away, but usually adds much time as things that do not need work are done.

Once issue is fixed then other things can be cleaned as preventitive maintenance, no issue there, but when looking for issues always best to "sneak up on it".
Old 10-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Well problem solved and I almost feel embarrassed. There is an entire circuit breaker panel behind a stair riser that is not mentioned in the owners manual or their online resources. Took the tech about five minutes tracing wires to find it. Reset the breaker, halfway to our destination. Enjoying lunch in Payson, Az.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)