Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2015, 09:59 AM   #15
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I don't follow specific forums and simply keep an eye on "Recent Discussions" in my right hand column. I don't pay attention to who they belong to. If it interests me and I think I can learn from it or add a comment to help. I just do it and subscribe to the thread.

I, personally haven't been flamed by joining, but have seen comments in past.

When I have a question, I typically post it in General Discussion. Like most of you, I want the most replies to my issue. If it's an initial comment specific to a particular Forum, I'll put it there to save the Mods from having to transfer it.

I've been here 5 years and still learning how everything works!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2015, 10:01 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You mean this is not the Thor Forum?? I am out of here!

FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers - RVM#128
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:47 AM   #17

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm relatively new here. From a user standpoint, it can be difficult to select the forum that is most likely to get useful answers to questions. RV manufacturers buy components from the same major suppliers, but may install them in very different ways. The same RV manufacturers then write user manuals with instructions on how to operate and maintain the components in the context of their particular installation. So, each problem to be solved may contain elements that are common to all installations of that component, and other elements that are specific to the manufacturer, model, year, floorplan, options, and even the serial number of the RV. Without double-posting, it is impossible to choose a topical forum specific to both the universal and installation-specific elements.

The rigidly-partitioned forum structure of IRV2 guarantees that this "problem" will never be solved. One way to expose technical questions to more expert eyeballs is to use searchable metadata tags and put all technical questions in a single forum, regardless of RV type, brand, chassis, etc. Users could browse and search by selecting appropriate tags, and could, for example, see questions and answers to Norcold refrigerator problems from all classes and brands of RVs, but could also narrow the focus to their specific situation.

I'm not suggesting that IRV2 be converted to a different format, or that it is possible to do so.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:22 AM   #18
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
I agree that this is what's happening but the foolishness of this approach ought to be self-evident. By posting in a specific owner's forum you may deprive yourself of valuable knowledge that could be provided by others who have the same issues but whose brand of RV may be different.

What I have found to be really absurd is that my responses have occasionally been rejected by owners of a particular brand because I wasn't one of them and, "how dare you" for posting in our brand forum. I won't mention which brand(s) I think this happens most frequently with since but I do think the issue is found more in some brand forums than others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
This " how dare you for post here " is not permitted at irv2 and we stop it in its tracks when we see it or when others report it to us. Any member of irv2 can post in any section of our forum. Please report these instances to us and we'll put a quick stop to it.
Cliff
I've witnessed this myself a couple of times. I agree, generally an admin will step in and clarify the IRV2 forum rules. However, at that point it winds up discouraging others from contributing to that thread. A loss to all IMHO.

I tend to post my questions in a more general area (usually Class A) to get the most responses, presuming that others monitor that forum for new threads. I'd rather have input from many than just a few, even if they don't currently own my brand or not. It's clear that many of the systems are common across brands, maybe others don't always see it that way due to lack of knowledge.

My personal approach to reading IRV2 is to consume as much as I can in categories related to my coach and my interests in RV'g. So I tend to read lots of "other brand" threads both to learn more about how they mod/correct issues and also to gain experience of issues more related to one brand than another. It's more than just brands though, full timers, RV'g solo, technology, going green, etc.
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:34 AM   #19

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
My personal approach to reading IRV2 is to consume as much as I can in categories related to my coach and my interests in RV'g. So I tend to read lots of "other brand" threads both to learn more about how they mod/correct issues and also to gain experience of issues more related to one brand than another. It's more than just brands though, full timers, RV'g solo, technology, going green, etc.

I also tend to read "by topic" independent of where something has been posted. That's how I originally discovered that some people prefer that others not post in "their brand's" forum. However, that experience didn't deter me and I continue to learn a lot from reading as many topical posts as possible and contributing where I think I can be of assistance.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:45 AM   #20

Don I totally agree, I have posted advice on componets not caring what brand of box and get ignored. I'm sure I'm probably not by myself. I read something that catch's my interest and really don't look at the container.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:13 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
I'm relatively new here. From a user standpoint, it can be difficult to select the forum that is most likely to get useful answers to questions. RV manufacturers buy components from the same major suppliers, but may install them in very different ways. The same RV manufacturers then write user manuals with instructions on how to operate and maintain the components in the context of their particular installation. So, each problem to be solved may contain elements that are common to all installations of that component, and other elements that are specific to the manufacturer, model, year, floorplan, options, and even the serial number of the RV. Without double-posting, it is impossible to choose a topical forum specific to both the universal and installation-specific elements.

The rigidly-partitioned forum structure of IRV2 guarantees that this "problem" will never be solved. One way to expose technical questions to more expert eyeballs is to use searchable metadata tags and put all technical questions in a single forum, regardless of RV type, brand, chassis, etc. Users could browse and search by selecting appropriate tags, and could, for example, see questions and answers to Norcold refrigerator problems from all classes and brands of RVs, but could also narrow the focus to their specific situation.

I'm not suggesting that IRV2 be converted to a different format, or that it is possible to do so.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Good points; however hardly a week goes by without a request for yet another sub-forum. Everyone has a different idea of how the forum should be set up, but I find the current configuration very easy to navigate though to a newbie it may be daunting.

ETA--the moderators and staff are very pro-active in trying to keep things sorted out. That's why we see many "thread moved" indicators on the topic lists.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:16 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
I am not a my brand type of person. Even though we only joined in Jan. of this year have been visiting and reading iRV2 for more than 5 years. I have noticed some sections get a lot more traffic than others. I have in the past asked a couple times for help/opinions and posted it in one section only to have it moved to another. Once moved, either no additional replies or a few compared to a more generic section where a more variety of people visit and might have posted to a thread question. While I understand the reason for specific types of sections could be why it appears people are brand specific. JMO

cyn
chiavet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #23

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I've been moderating on RV forums/blogs/website/elists for nigh 20 years now and have given up trying to get people away from their "my brand" fixation. You may as well save your breathe (or your fingers!), cause they ain't gonna change no matter how logically you explain it.
Sadly, that is true. I get around the problem by clicking on New Posts and surfing through there rather than hunt through every subforum on the odd chance there is some generic information of interest to me.