Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2015, 07:33 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Talking No RV Brand is an Island.

OK...this is something that has bothered me at times to no end. Maybe it is just me but...

Why do folks only seem to live inside a small box when it comes to posting issues that are more likely to be common to all brands? I don't care what brand you have but many systems shared across all manufacturers are very common. Dometic is Dometic. Atwood is Atwood. Oasis is Oasis. That doesn't mean there are some installation differences but the in most cases they are not so significant to ignore SOB input.

In most cases there is little to no difference in how a Suburban water heater works in Brand X, Y or Z. So...why do folks with Brand X only ask questions about that water heater in the Brand X forum?

Certainly there are some systems specific to a brand. As an example the basement AC is pretty much a Winnebago/Itasca thing. I get that.

Anyway...I just think some folks would gain more knowledge from SOBs than they might think. BTW...many of us are active SOBs. I monitor a couple non-Newmar brand forums because I have an interest in them not because I want to stir the pot. I monitor Winnebago because I use to own one and still think I have some experiences that might be of help.

I feel better!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2015, 07:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
OK...this is something that has bothered me at times to no end. Maybe it is just me but...

Why do folks only seem to live inside a small box when it comes to posting issues that are more likely to be common to all brands? I don't care what brand you have but many systems shared across all manufacturers are very common. Dometic is Dometic. Atwood is Atwood. Oasis is Oasis. That doesn't mean there are some installation differences but the in most cases they are not so significant to ignore SOB input.

In most cases there is little to no difference in how a Suburban water heater works in Brand X, Y or Z. So...why do folks with Brand X only ask questions about that water heater in the Brand X forum?

Certainly there are some systems specific to a brand. As an example the basement AC is pretty much a Winnebago/Itasca thing. I get that.

Anyway...I just think some folks would gain more knowledge from SOBs than they might think. BTW...many of us are active SOBs. I monitor a couple non-Newmar brand forums because I have an interest in them not because I want to stir the pot. I monitor Winnebago because I use to own one and still think I have some experiences that might be of help.

I feel better!
I totally get where you are coming from but it don't think you can say SOBs on the forem maybe someone else can clarify if you can say SOBs.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:46 AM   #3

Add to that the idea that most plumbing and electrical problems are generic. The troubleshooting is generic so the only real issue is where some stuff if located. That is why just watching the right hand column can be fun as well as interesting. ;-)
Old 07-26-2015, 07:48 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
SOB = Some Other Brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I totally get where you are coming from but it don't think you can say SOBs on the forem maybe someone else can clarify if you can say SOBs.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:50 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
We have learned over the years that some members only want to discuss issues with owners of the same brand.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:50 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Add to that the idea that most plumbing and electrical problems are generic. The troubleshooting is generic so the only real issue is where some stuff if located. That is why just watching the right hand column can be fun as well as interesting. ;-)
Yup. All the manufacturers buy a chassis, put a box on it and fill it with RV parts from mostly the same companies. Some make more of their own parts than others. Some hardly any.

I mostly only look at the right hand column
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
SOB = Some Other Brand
Thank you for the clarification I miss understood again.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:07 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Thank you for the clarification I miss understood again.
My BAD! After a while I find it easy to ASSUME folks all understand the lexicon and shorthands often used.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:07 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No RV Brand is an Island.

Quote:
We have learned over the years that some members only want to discuss issues with owners of the same brand.

Yup and sometimes that's their loss.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:24 AM   #10

I think in a lot of cases, that it's a limited amount of exposure to brands other than the one(s) you know.

In other cases, like the way your hydraulic jacks or air bags work/are plumbed, what seems pretty generic (e.g. how much difference can there be in an air bag?), generic is about the furthest from the truth you can get when it comes to anything more specific !

I think power management systems might be another example?

Point being, few of us are going to be able to pinpoint generic questions every time. IMHO, It's easier for most owners to post a question in a forum where the chance others will be familiar with the coach in question is best. -Al
Old 07-26-2015, 08:41 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
SOB = Some Other Brand
OMG.....JFYI....I felt like a NOOB....First time I saw this ITT...ROFL

YMMD,

Dan

FYI: http://www.connexin.net/internet-acronyms.html
Old 07-26-2015, 09:22 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I've been moderating on RV forums/blogs/website/elists for nigh 20 years now and have given up trying to get people away from their "my brand" fixation. You may as well save your breathe (or your fingers!), cause they ain't gonna change no matter how logically you explain it.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:39 AM   #13

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
I agree that this is what's happening but the foolishness of this approach ought to be self-evident. By posting in a specific owner's forum you may deprive yourself of valuable knowledge that could be provided by others who have the same issues but whose brand of RV may be different.

What I have found to be really absurd is that my responses have occasionally been rejected by owners of a particular brand because I wasn't one of them and, "how dare you" for posting in our brand forum. I won't mention which brand(s) I think this happens most frequently with since but I do think the issue is found more in some brand forums than others.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:46 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This " how dare you for post here " is not permitted at irv2 and we stop it in its tracks when we see it or when others report it to us. Any member of irv2 can post in any section of our forum. Please report these instances to us and we'll put a quick stop to it.
Cliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post

What I have found to be really absurd is that my responses have occasionally been rejected by owners of a particular brand because I wasn't one of them and, "how dare you" for posting in our our brand forum. I won't mention which brand(s) I think this happens most frequently with since but I do think the issue is found more in some brand forums than others.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote