Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #29
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2

I could/can live with that.
Me too

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #30
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
Me too
Thread timeout

How do you like the SMI brake system. We have the Ready Brake on our current rig but hopefully will be going to a pre-owned DP if we find one to our liking and would consider SMI's version for diesels.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:50 PM   #31
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2

Thread timeout

How do you like the SMI brake system. We have the Ready Brake on our current rig but hopefully will be going to a pre-owned DP if we find one to our liking and would consider SMI's version for diesels.
Love it. Soooo simple.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The weight of a the 20 ton jack, torque wrench, spare rim and 6' cheater bar is more than I want to carry.

I keep the unmounted spare to control the cost of the tire and to expedite the process, mostly for cost.

This summer driving back to Alaska I was forced to purchase a 22.5" tire in Edmonton $700+, the same tire in Alaska was $540.00 still high. I found the same tire in the lower 48 for $448.00.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #33

Workhorse Chassis Owner
clifftall: That is essentially what CoachNet told me. The kicker is that they have to find a service truck that is equipped to dismount your tire off the rim and remount your new one. Not all road service trucks are so equipped. That means looking further out from your location, if necessary.

If after hours, you would be expected to pitch in $$ for overtime, plus the extra labor. Still, a small price to pay to get up and running.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #34
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter
clifftall: That is essentially what CoachNet told me. The kicker is that they have to find a service truck that is equipped to dismount your tire off the rim and remount your new one. Not all road service trucks are so equipped. That means looking further out from your location, if necessary.

If after hours, you would be expected to pitch in $$ for overtime, plus the extra labor. Still, a small price to pay to get up and running.
I look at it this way. Coach Net would rather find me such a service truck than pay to tow me. What do you think?

Old 10-30-2011, 02:34 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

I feel sorry for those that don't have spare tires because when you get a flat you are at the mercy of a local tire dealer and his price is $$$$$$$$$.
Then you have to have it mounted by road service guy more $$$$$$$.

On my Winnebago I have a spare and have used it a number of times. Road service takes it out from where it is stored and mounts it on wheel and puts bad tire in storage area. Piece of cake.

A friend of mine didn't have a spare and had a bracket made for the rear of his RV, bought a rim and a tire and whola(sp) has a continental tire on the rear of his coach.

For those that thinking getting a tire for your blowout is easy go to Canada, Yukon or even Alaska and try to get one, good luck.

Lastly you can't change the tire yourself as the torque of the wheel lugs is 450lbs. Try getting that off with a lug wrench LOL.

A spare tire is a must in todays market.

Good luck!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #36

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I grew up and up and up on a dairy farm, Today I'm over 300 pounds and over six feet tall, I can pick up and mount a 22.5" Mitchlin XRV.

I also have the needed wrench to remove/replace the lug nuts (Have actually done it)

I can also pick up my wife's mobility scooter. (250 pounds)

NOTE: Based on how much "Fun" it is mounting a 22.5.. I'd not want to try a 25" tire.

Think about what I just said.. Add to this I have a few handy tools and know how to cheat. (Use the jack to lower the axle instead of raising the tire to slip it on)

Think about this... and you may start to get the idea of why I don't even THINK about getting a spare for this rig.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #37

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
Seems the 22.5 wheels are scarce in the used part world.
Not here, I found them very easily at any large truck tire place or wrecking yard. I drove to one of the many truck wrecking yards and picked up 4 Alcoa rims and 2 matching steel ones. I told the workers what I wanted, they directed me to the yard and said to find what I wanted and they'd take the tires off for me. Didn't take very long either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:49 PM   #38

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Even if you have a mounted spare...you'd have to carry some heavy duty equipment to change it. The spare and wheel are very heavy, plus you'd need a big jack and huge torque wrench.
No jack needed if you have levelers correctly sized. The torque wrench could be a problem, but a trip to Harbor Freight and $70 will get you one that can go to 650 ft lbs (my wheels take 500 ft lbs). I have one but I NEVER plan on changing a tire. Just too much weight for me.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:54 PM   #39

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
My problems seem to have solved themselves since I now inflate the rear axle tires to the max cold tire pressure on the sidewall, which is higher than the Michelin pressures posted in their charts require by my actual axles weight.
The pressure moulded into the sidewall of a TRUCK sixe tire is NOT the maximum the tire should ever carry. It is the MINIMUM pressure to support the maximum rated weight of the tire.

Quote:
From page 2 of the 06/07 Michelin RV Tire Guide: "If you look at the tire's sidewall, you'll see the maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating, and the minimum cold air inflation needed to carry the maximum load."

From page 6 of the GoodYear RV Tire and Care Guide
"How much air is enough?
The proper air inflation for your tires depends on how much your fully loaded RV or trailer weighs. Look at the sidewall of your RV tire and you’ll see the maximum load capacity for the tire size and load rating, as well as the minimum cold air inflation, needed to carry that maximum load."
Old 10-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #40
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well after 25 years of driving with a spare putting many miles on 6 coach's I have never had the need of using the new spare that I have been carrying around.
So I now have no spare on coach because the spare I had to use because of a cut in one of the duels.
Could never had changed the tire anyway because they had to use a sledge hammer to get it off the rusty mount on Axel, my body couldn't have even lifted the tire or sledge hammer.
Had a good look at the 8 year tires when they were off for brake job and I'm going to try for the Michelin 10 year warranty.
All the miles traveled never had a blow out either.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:26 PM   #41

Although I have Coach Net coverage and would use them if it was to my advantage when mounting a spare, any tire guy that showed up at my rig and couldn't dismount a flat and remount a spare that I had or he brought would be promptly run off and reported back to Coach Net. That's what he's supposed to do. Since we travel in remote areas in Alaska, Canada, and the US, we're often in places where there is NO CELL SERVICE to call anyone. Rather than wait for someone to do me a favor, I'd rather do it myself and not have to wait for God knows how long until a good soul comes by. The incident in Glennallen Alaska required the tire guy to make a 400 mile drive. Coach Net paid for the call but I had to put an off brand tire on the rig, and it took 3 days to get it done. With my own spare it would have been a 2 hour job, either for a local or me and I know Coach Net would have been happy to pay the local guy if I found him. As it was the bill to Coach Net was $680 and I paid $550 for the wrong tire.

Pigman
Old 10-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #42
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
Love it. Soooo simple.

Thanks, good to know, now back to regular programming. er, I mean original thread.