Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Like many others, my wife is really uneasy about travelling without a spare tire. Our Itasca (used) did not come with a spare. As far as I can determine, it didn't have a spare when new.

My plan now is to first find a spare, then when I have a chance I want to find a spare wheel and have the tire mounted before I take any long trips to Alaska or Canada. My MH has the lug wrench and extension bar to remove the lug nuts. If I ain't heavy enough (I'm not a big fella), maybe a big guy will come along and help. If not, I know a couple of tricks that may break the nuts loose (lug nuts, that is).

If at all possible, even when I get a spare, I'll call roadside assistance to come out and change it.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2011, 06:35 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

OK, so .... you who carry a spare, do any of you have the different size tires on the front and back? Do you carry a spare of each size?
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
OK, so .... you who carry a spare, do any of you have the different size tires on the front and back? Do you carry a spare of each size?
Same size front and rear. Spare identical to others. Spare needs to be same diameter at a minimum, cant mix tires on an axle.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Same size front and rear. Spare identical to others. Spare needs to be same diameter at a minimum, cant mix tires on an axle.
I know that sizes must be the same on an axle. I guess I thought a coach like this one has different size tires on the front/back. Is it just the style of the wheel that makes them appear different? (duh)

Old 10-30-2011, 07:29 PM   #47

Sarah, short answer is yes they will be exactly the same size. The rears are duals, two tires and rims. The inner tire and rim on the back will be mounted just like the front, the outer tire and rim is identical, but turned around so the two "faces" of the rims are together.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:09 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
Sarah, short answer is yes they will be exactly the same size. The rears are duals, two tires and rims. The inner tire and rim on the back will be mounted just like the front, the outer tire and rim is identical, but turned around so the two "faces" of the rims are together.
Well, I learn something every day, Bucks!! Thanks for setting me straight.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:07 AM   #49

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yup, Sarah- "bucks2" is right.

An exception to this is a new double wide radial, softer, tire available for trucks to replace some of the "dual" rear wheel setups. Some Motor Home owners have gone to them also. Again, I don't think that you should worry about that decision.

Try finding one of these rascals when you have a blowout/flat on the side of the road on a busy interstate, lets say going around New York, or LA.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:17 AM   #50

You guys got me started thinking about spares because if a tire blew out it could be days before it was replaced. And you might have to be towed in, and it could be a terrible experience. So I bought a replacement engine, because that could be a lengthy delay getting that replaced. And then I thought about the front axle because those don't grow on trees either. You know a bearing could go bad at any time because I don't check them before every trip. And then I thought about the drive shaft that could have a universal joint go bad and then flop around and bend itself, so I got a replacement, just in case. Sometimes I drive on roads that have rocks thrown from other vehicles which could break a window, or I could have one of those coaches that the windshield just works itself out. Then I'd be stuck beside the road with a big open spot in the front of the rig, so I now carry a complete set of windows with me. And then I got to thinking and.............

I don't carry a spare tire, or the tools to change it. For those who can change a 22.5 in 30 minutes you're in the wrong proffession. The tire industry needs your skills. Tire stores with all the equipment sitting right there take that long and they do it all day every day. You'd make a fortune.

Ken
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:34 AM   #51
Community Administrator

Now I know why I wear suspenders and a belt. I also carry an unmounted spare.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:45 AM   #52

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bucks2;

You just need some plastic and some duct tape you can fix anything LOL.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:07 AM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
Recently happend.

Flat tire... Roadside service said I have two options.
(1) Tow in
(2) Replace with spare (Your Spare)

I don't have a spare... They told me I would need to purchase a replacement tire and call back when ready.

If you don't have a spare, you better hope you're near a town that sells your tire.

I read most RV's dont' come with a spare due to extra cost, extra weight, taking up losts of space and unlikelyhood the owner could change it.

An unmounted 22.5" tire can weigh 100 lbs. What does a mounted tire weigh?

So, carry an unmounted 22.5 tire? Carry a fully mounted 22.5 tire?

The spare DOT date code will still age whether you use it or not.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:02 PM   #54

After over 25 years and nearly 500,000 miles and 7 blow outs; I wouldn't leave the driveway without a spare. Once I thought I'd replace all my tires when I was in Alabama, ordered them at a tire dealer, stayed in a campground a week waiting for them, finally canceled the order and left.
Do all those that don't carry spares want to go the waiting, and waiting, and waiting?
Not me.
What happens when your out in the bonnies and blow a tire and you don't have a spare?
I hope you have very deep pockets.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:40 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
sounds like most of you have never lost a tire in the middle of nowhere out of cell phone service.i have buy a used tire an rim itsmoney well spent!!
teera travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sorry, but is it possible to change a tire on a 40 ft DP? Ok I know I can get the rig off the ground with leveling jacks but, but is it safe to try this out?
Plus, Just how big and strong would you have to be to get these tire off and replace one?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote