Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2015, 08:18 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by atodalen View Post
Does anyone have a magic solution to stop dogs from barking when other dogs or strangers walk past a site. I dislike it when our dogs bark as much or more than the ones complaining. The dogs are never left unattended, yet they bark when people walk past. We've tried squirt bottles, noise makers, and so many more that I can't remember. The only item that I'm aware that hasn't been tried is a shock collar which we will not use because we feel that it's cruel. Perhaps if you all would stop walking past our site I wouldn't be so upset with you. You are part of the problem in my eyes. Perhaps we need to ask management for a rule to keep people from walking aimlessly around camp unless they have a valid reason.
Al
Squirt bottles, noise makers, citronella sprays, shock collars all just reinforce that something bad happens every time someone walks by, so they should bark to try to scare the bad thing away before they get squirted/startled/etc.

The way to get your dogs to stop barking at people walking by is to have some handy yummy treats, the higher value the better, like cooked chicken, cheese, peanut butter. When the dog notices the people, start rapid fire giving tiny bites of delicious treats. When the people are past the site the treats stop. Only treat when people are coming/going.

Your dog will soon associate people walking by with magical cheese dispensers, and when they spot someone, instead of barking, they will look at you for the treat. That's when you know you have classically conditioned a different emotional response in the dog.

This will take a few days of consistent training. Maybe a couple of weekends. The trick is to BE CONSISTENT! If you run out of treats, take the dog inside. Don't let them practice the old behavior of barking at passersby. EVERY SINGLE TIME someone walks by, treats happen. So make the treats teeny tiny so as not to overfeed the dog. Reduce their kibble accordingly if they've gotten lots of yum during the day.

What this does is rather than change the behavior (but not address the dogs feelings about people walking by), you change the way the dog feels about the people which naturally changes their behavior.

Over time you can reduce the number and frequency of treats. If you notice some regression, go back to treats for every passer by.

You can also cheat and put hot dogs or chicken in a zip baggie with their kibble over night. The smell of the delicious treat will permeate the kibble, and they will be just as excited about kibble as they are about chicken. This will let you use their meal mixed in with training treats.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2015, 08:32 AM   #30

There's a pair of ideas (treats and cheating) I'll be trying soon...

Old 05-28-2015, 08:37 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a pair of Weiner Dogs, and they bark at just about everything that wiggles.

When we are with them, they behave better, and they've learned we don't like it when they do it in our ear.... but when we are gone, I have a feeling they sit in the window and bark at everything that moves.

So we leave the air running, the radio on, the tv on... something, anything to block outside noises, and I would NEVER leave them in a pen outside, they would freak out and bark and at every single thing that moved anywhere near by - they might bark at nothing at all!

It's like they just can't help it, it's in their blood.

Now when we are there, we put them on leashes and let them chill outside with us, but that never lasts long because they wrap up around EVERYTHING... and I've got them trained to only check bark if something is really approaching... they are pretty good, but alone, they bark like nuts.

Silly owners, they KNOW that about their dogs..... if they own weiners, they know it.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:17 AM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
Children having fun is one thing. Go run! Explore! Play catch in the street! Ride your bike! Come back to camp excitedly talking about something you saw! Children screaming every 2 minutes is exactly the same as a barking dog. In fact, I'm more tolerant of dogs than I am of kids.

I have dogs and kids. Trust me when I say that children CAN be taught impulse control easier than a dog, and can be taught not to lose their shyt just because they are in a campground.

One time we had an especially bad "screamer" in the next site over. After an hour of screeching and screaming bloody murder for absolutely no reason every 30 seconds I walked over and asked the little darling politely, with a little worry in my voice, if she wouldn't mind not screaming as the bears were attracted to the screaming and I was afraid the bears would eat her/my dog/me. Her eyes got big as saucers. I didn't hear another peep. This is what I call "properly motivated to behave appropriately". We called her "bear-bait" for the rest of the trip.

P.S. This is in central Texas. We don't have bears here.

If her parents didn't want her afraid of the "bears" perhaps they should have properly motivated her to stop screaming before I had to.

So if your kids are screamers... try the bear scare. Or I can do it for you if needed.
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:19 AM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Squirt bottles, noise makers, citronella sprays, shock collars all just reinforce that something bad happens every time someone walks by, so they should bark to try to scare the bad thing away before they get squirted/startled/etc.

The way to get your dogs to stop barking at people walking by is to have some handy yummy treats, the higher value the better, like cooked chicken, cheese, peanut butter. When the dog notices the people, start rapid fire giving tiny bites of delicious treats. When the people are past the site the treats stop. Only treat when people are coming/going.

Your dog will soon associate people walking by with magical cheese dispensers, and when they spot someone, instead of barking, they will look at you for the treat. That's when you know you have classically conditioned a different emotional response in the dog.

This will take a few days of consistent training. Maybe a couple of weekends. The trick is to BE CONSISTENT! If you run out of treats, take the dog inside. Don't let them practice the old behavior of barking at passersby. EVERY SINGLE TIME someone walks by, treats happen. So make the treats teeny tiny so as not to overfeed the dog. Reduce their kibble accordingly if they've gotten lots of yum during the day.

What this does is rather than change the behavior (but not address the dogs feelings about people walking by), you change the way the dog feels about the people which naturally changes their behavior.

Over time you can reduce the number and frequency of treats. If you notice some regression, go back to treats for every passer by.

You can also cheat and put hot dogs or chicken in a zip baggie with their kibble over night. The smell of the delicious treat will permeate the kibble, and they will be just as excited about kibble as they are about chicken. This will let you use their meal mixed in with training treats.
Excellent ideas!
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Old 05-28-2015, 09:30 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacamp View Post
Kids having fun at a campground, what they are there for, and dogs barking incessantly are two entirely different things. Dog owner's that refuse to admit that their "children" mis-behave and campgrounds that don't enforce rules just encourage the behavior.
I totally disagree. Kids are just as much a pain in the ***. Both children and animals need to be controlled. I don't expect you to have to deal with my problems and I don't want to deal with yours.
rfsod48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #35

I agree, could not have said it better!
Old 05-28-2015, 09:54 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:

We've trained out dogs on finger snaps. When we snap our fingers, it calms them down, but that took a LOT of work. When they started to get freaky, or if we knew someone was walking up and they were going to get freaky, we would finger snap, with an audible sh sh sh, to include a treat and a hug and a reaffirming everything is ok. We'd let them watch and just reassure them it wasn't an issue.

To this day, we can snap our fingers and 98% of the time they will calm down enough to not freak out. They still pay attention at the ready, but don't freak out
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:04 AM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfsod48 View Post
I totally disagree. Kids are just as much a pain in the ***. Both children and animals need to be controlled. I don't expect you to have to deal with my problems and I don't want to deal with yours.
lol but their unruly children ARE your problems.
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Old 05-28-2015, 10:17 AM   #38

Workhorse Chassis Owner
a couple years ago we went to Quartzite Az. Found a nice spot in Blm land1/4 mi away from any other rig. Went exploring and when we returned to our site 40 yards away someone with a dog set up they're rig and disappeared leaving the dog to bark constantly. Why do people do that? just stupid or really inconsiderate.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:18 AM   #39

Can't we all just get along????LOL.

We all have different life styles, likes and dislikes, we are different. And the older some of us get, the less (BS) we are willing to put up with.

I never expect to have it all my way when I go to a camp ground. Kids having fun making noise I can deal with. Bear bait, unacceptable.

People with as many pets as their coach can hold, no problem to me, as long as they clean up behind them, and keep them secured and quiet. I like the remark about having delivered the droppings back to the owners. I would have done the same.

I have camped next to all kinds in my day, from drunks that party all night, to others smoking pot and the smell traveling through the woods. We just let it go and watched to show.

Relax and take it all in as entertainment, and something to talk about with friends. It's all part of the adventure, the experience, to see and hear things that make you say (WTH), or something a little more colorful.

But by no means should you ever let anyone inconvenience you and not speak up, or take action. Try to be nice about it, some folks can still learn, some can't or won't because they don't care.

But don't go nuts over little stuff, this is a big world, lots of people trying to enjoy life as best they know how.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #40

datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:48 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
Love it,,,LOL
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:48 PM   #42

IF you are concerned about using a shock collar, get a collar that vibrates instead. My friend has one and it seems to work quite well.