Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2015, 07:58 AM   #15

Agree. It's dog owners like this that give a bad name to all dog owners; even those like like us who always pick up after their dog, and never let the dog onto another site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padre44 View Post
Just spent 4 nights at an RV park we had previously been to. Big sites and quiet. On our 3rd day there a motor home pulled in two sites down. Out came 4 weiner dogs down a ramp and into a pen the people put up outside. Every time anyone came past all the dogs went nuts barking. I finally spoke to the owners of the site who spoke to the people. However, nothing was changed - dogs still out and barking. Another instance of inconsiderate people and management that won't enforce their rules. We won't go back there again.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2015, 01:22 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Does anyone have a magic solution to stop dogs from barking when other dogs or strangers walk past a site. I dislike it when our dogs bark as much or more than the ones complaining. The dogs are never left unattended, yet they bark when people walk past. We've tried squirt bottles, noise makers, and so many more that I can't remember. The only item that I'm aware that hasn't been tried is a shock collar which we will not use because we feel that it's cruel. Perhaps if you all would stop walking past our site I wouldn't be so upset with you. You are part of the problem in my eyes. Perhaps we need to ask management for a rule to keep people from walking aimlessly around camp unless they have a valid reason.
Al
Old 05-26-2015, 01:35 PM   #17

Dogs bark. It's what they do. My dogs are quiet until another dog walks by or someone drives a golf cart past the site. They don't bark incessantly for no reason. I'd rather hear a dog bark than that high pitch squealing of 5 year old girls. When we're in an RV park we understand we're likely to sometimes hear both and we need to be tolerant.

Why are there so many cranky old farts in RVs who are always looking for something to complain about ? Relax. You'll live longer
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:39 PM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by atodalen View Post
Does anyone have a magic solution to stop dogs from barking when other dogs or strangers walk past a site. I dislike it when our dogs bark as much or more than the ones complaining. The dogs are never left unattended, yet they bark when people walk past. We've tried squirt bottles, noise makers, and so many more that I can't remember. The only item that I'm aware that hasn't been tried is a shock collar which we will not use because we feel that it's cruel. Perhaps if you all would stop walking past our site I wouldn't be so upset with you. You are part of the problem in my eyes. Perhaps we need to ask management for a rule to keep people from walking aimlessly around camp unless they have a valid reason.
Al
The bark collars work very well, and good ones have a level of shock that goes from just a little "buzz" to "surprise" to "Ouch!" and you can program them for what works for your dog. The dogs learn after just one time or two and no longer engage in the behavior that makes the collar react. Some also use a citronella squirt instead of a shock but these are not effective with all dogs.

The dogs will also be calmer in general, since the whole "barking frantically at strangers behavior" is self-rewarding, and many dogs will work themselves into a frenzy of barking enjoyment. The collar stops that cycle from starting.

Blaming the environment and other people for your dogs' barking behavior is not going to result in a satisfactory outcome.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:31 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
Some also use a citronella squirt instead of a shock but these are not effective with all dogs. Blaming the environment and other people for your dogs' barking behavior is not going to result in a satisfactory outcome.
Thanks for the information relating to bark collars. I'm thinking that we may have to give the citronella spray collar a try, for our sanity as well as those adjacent to us. Yes I realize that blaming others is wrong. It was meant tongue in cheek rather than serious, thus the emojis.
Happy Trails,
Al
Old 05-26-2015, 09:14 PM   #20

The bottom line is: When rules are established they must be uniformly enforced or eliminated, otherwise they breed contempt for rules/law. Don't blame the dog, it's only doing what it is taught it may get away with.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:41 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
The undercover pet owners

In Key West last winter a couple had several yapper dogs. Bleed doesn't matter they all act the same, you've seen them. Every park has them.
Will mom & pa thought they were getting away with it. However, another camper put his ipad to used and had made video of them. Mom would come with two on leash and go one way, then pa would come out with other two 5 mins later and go in different direction. As things would have it, the grand kids came to stay for a visit. When the park mgr confronted people with the video, they were told to lose two of the dogs or leave. Kids pitched a fit as they were suppose to stay longer. The dog owner's put two dogs in a local kennel.
Also we have been in state parks that have no limit, they just charge a fee per pet, per day. VA is $5.00 each a day.
My personal feelings are, we don't care how many pets a coach has, as long they are a not a disturbance to others.
We do have friends that have over two pets and would like to stay in same park as we do during winter. But are those kind of folk that are of a high character and moral integrity they won't violate their ethics, unlike the don't ask, don't tell crowd.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:17 AM   #22

Even when the CG owner takes action, there is still the danger of retaliation. A couple of years ago, I was at a campground in Louisiana, a couple with 3 kids and a big black dog that they let run free moved in. I asked the CG manager to talk to them, I have a large dog myself and this free roaming dog was a problem when I walked mine on a leash. They chained their dog for a couple of hours then let it go again. Once more I asked the CG manager for help. The next day the problem people were gone. A couple of weeks later when I was loading up to leave, while checking tire pressure, I found that a tire on my tow dolly had been cut. Can't prove this group did it, but coincidence, I don't think so. Be careful out there.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:06 AM   #23

Some dogs learn to count...pause...count...

We once had a shelty that hearded everything...cars...planes...birds...yiu get the idea.

A shocking bark coller was added.

It went active on third bark and had a delay timer so dog could bark later.

After being shocked a few times the dog learned the timing of that coller and would get to work.

Bark..bark..pause....bark..bark...pause...

Was kinda funny in a way.

Will tell others that she had a speech impediment.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Everybody loves their dogs and kids including me, but the both need guidance nobody to blame but the parents.
It's the Me, Me, mentality.

Terry
VegasFoodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:17 PM   #25

My children and pets have always been models of society
Old 05-28-2015, 04:02 AM   #26

We have small dogs that used to bark when we are not there. I found out by sitting nearby. I found windows and shades closed and captain chairs turned so they cannot jump on dash and both AC's on high speed fan plus an added cheap white noise sound machine keeps them quiet as they cannot see or hear anything to bark at. The white noise machine also helps us sleep in a noisy park or on rare occasion a rest area in with the truckers. I have been in sites and ask they neighbors to let me know if our dogs are annoying them and since I added the sound machine and turn it on rain and light thunder mode, no one has been bothered. IF YOU HAVE DOGS, I THINK IF YOU GO TO THE NEIGHBORS AND ASK THEM TO LET YOU KNOW IF YOUR DOGS ARE BOTHERING THEM AND MAYBE EVEN GIVE THEM YOUR CELL # IT IS JUST GOOD CAMPGROUND COURTESY.
Sky Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:41 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
My children and pets have always been models of society
Old 05-28-2015, 07:11 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacamp View Post
Kids having fun at a campground, what they are there for, and dogs barking incessantly are two entirely different things. Dog owner's that refuse to admit that their "children" mis-behave and campgrounds that don't enforce rules just encourage the behavior.
Children having fun is one thing. Go run! Explore! Play catch in the street! Ride your bike! Come back to camp excitedly talking about something you saw! Children screaming every 2 minutes is exactly the same as a barking dog. In fact, I'm more tolerant of dogs than I am of kids.

I have dogs and kids. Trust me when I say that children CAN be taught impulse control easier than a dog, and can be taught not to lose their shyt just because they are in a campground.

One time we had an especially bad "screamer" in the next site over. After an hour of screeching and screaming bloody murder for absolutely no reason every 30 seconds I walked over and asked the little darling politely, with a little worry in my voice, if she wouldn't mind not screaming as the bears were attracted to the screaming and I was afraid the bears would eat her/my dog/me. Her eyes got big as saucers. I didn't hear another peep. This is what I call "properly motivated to behave appropriately". We called her "bear-bait" for the rest of the trip.

P.S. This is in central Texas. We don't have bears here.

If her parents didn't want her afraid of the "bears" perhaps they should have properly motivated her to stop screaming before I had to.

So if your kids are screamers... try the bear scare. Or I can do it for you if needed.
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote