Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #29

I think in the interest of public safety we should all remove the mufflers from our vehicles. It seems that most have already disabled the turn signals.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2014, 05:11 PM   #30

Friends don't let friends ride stock bikes! The first thing to do is remove that restrictive exhaust. Respect your neighbor but if it's to loud you're too old!
Old 03-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #31

Yeah...I don't get that loud Harley thing either. Been driving bikes for over 35 yrs. but hey, if they are respectful of their neighbours by not reeving the engine, then who could put down their choice for fun and excitement.... See ya on the highways!
Old 03-21-2014, 05:30 PM   #32

So if we follow the argument louder is safer , let's pull the mufflers off , RVs , trucks , 18 wheelers and give cyclists constant air horns . Then we would all be a lot safer on the roads . BS
Old 03-21-2014, 05:38 PM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Agree with the earlier poster...safety is an excuse. Ride with stock pipes. Put the money in chrome. People will admire a bike chromed out a heck of a lot quicker than a loud ear-splitting set of megaphones...and just so we're clear, I told DW the same thing when she had her bike.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfendr38 View Post
My wife and I both ride Harleys. They are loud and we like them that way. We trailer them into campgrounds. We never ride out early in the morning or come back late at night unless it was un-avoidable. We always "idle" thru the CG. We cut the ignition and roll into our camp site. Its all about respect for others.
I hate to break it to you but loud modified exhausts are obnoxious to many/most even when 'idling' through a campground. It's admirable that you at least try to keep it quiet but don't kid yourselves into thinking that you aren't bothering a lot of people. People who complain and cause bike bans, BTW. And don't think I don't understand bikes, I've been riding all of my adult life.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:27 PM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Loud pipes hurt ears! That why, when I rode, it was a Honda Shadow Spirit 1200. It had a lot of power but was nice and quiet.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjnr View Post
So if we follow the argument louder is safer , let's pull the mufflers off , RVs , trucks , 18 wheelers and give cyclists constant air horns . Then we would all be a lot safer on the roads . BS
And no noise emissions laws. The DNR has them on off road bikes for public land also. I have been tested for noise emissions many times going dirt biking.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #37

If any of you watch South Park, there was a neat episode about loud Harley riders coming into town. It is funnier than heck.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #38

I agree with most of you, that the statement "LOUD IS SAFE", is just an excuse to run with open pipes. Trains are loud and people still pull in front of them. What I find is most people don't like being called on rude behavior.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:24 PM   #39

By federal law, every HD leaving the factory is under the max decibel limit of (I think) 82. It is easily checked by a hand held meter costing less than $100. The safety excuse is generally pure bunk as here in Florida almost all of the loud pipe guys do not wear helmets. It can be avoided by carrying a "burial" policy of $10,000. Some jurisdictions actually enforce the limits. Using loud pipes in my opinion just shows a total disregard for you neighbors.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #40

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been riding for over 40 years and have had many Harleys, lots of Japanese brands and currently my wife and I have several BMW's and Ducatis, a Yamaha and a Suzuki. I love all motorcycles and have a great deal of passion for them (in fact I run a Ducati website with over 50K members). Knock on wood, I have never wrecked on a street bike (but plenty spills on dirt bikes) and I don't buy that loud pipes save lives. Working on your skills by attending coached track days, taking advanced MSF classes and keeping a general awareness of your surroundings is what will keep you safe IMHO.
I am an enthusiast yet it is truly annoying when we are dining outdoors at a café and have to stop our conversation because someone has their Bubs or Supertrapp at 120db.

[ moderator edit ]
Old 03-21-2014, 08:16 PM   #41

Agree. If "Loud pipes save lives", I guess there are a lot of Honda Gold Wings inherited by the survivors of the owners of these quiet bikes. I think the loud pipes gang is getting away with unlawful behavior that would result in tickets if their noise came from cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
The old "Loud Pipes Saves Lives" is pure BS and the mantra cheered on by those that need attention. Talent and situational awareness saves lives, nothing more. I've owned about every make and model throughout my life and just happen to be back on a Harley. Anyone riding down the road thinking "my bike is so loud no one will ever pull out in front of me" is just looking for a hospital bed.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
Old 03-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
I hate to break it to you but loud modified exhausts are obnoxious to many/most even when 'idling' through a campground. It's admirable that you at least try to keep it quiet but don't kid yourselves into thinking that you aren't bothering a lot of people. People who complain and cause bike bans, BTW. And don't think I don't understand bikes, I've been riding all of my adult life.
Couldn't have said it better myself. When that loud pipe is fired up right next or behind your camper at 6:00-7:00 in the mornings even idling at a sound that is heard clear across the CG can be so very annoying to campers out to enjoy their vacation in the peace and quiet.
Closed Thread

Tags
campground