Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2014, 10:34 PM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you want peace and quite then a campground is usually the wrong place. Screaming kids, diesels idling, loud music, generators running all day, ATVs running back and forth, dogs barking, drunks, arguments and fights, the list is endless. Seen them all. I agree that sitting there revving a motorcycle in the campground is not appropriate but a motorcycle here or there entering or leaving the campground should not really bother anyone. If you are that bothered by the noise of others you might want to stay home or away from crowded campgrounds.

We mostly boondock as we live in the country on several acres. Our idea of camping is not an RV park sandwiched into a spot or a campground where everyone is closer than our neighbors at home. If we do stop in a park while traveling it's usually just an overnight and the bikes aren't used anyway. If we do stay and use the bikes we just leave and are usually out on the road all day. Our bikes are our toads.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2014, 06:05 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
If you want peace and quite then a campground is usually the wrong place. Screaming kids, diesels idling, loud music, generators running all day, ATVs running back and forth, dogs barking, drunks, arguments and fights, the list is endless. Seen them all. I agree that sitting there revving a motorcycle in the campground is not appropriate but a motorcycle here or there entering or leaving the campground should not really bother anyone. If you are that bothered by the noise of others you might want to stay home or away from crowded campgrounds.

We mostly boondock as we live in the country on several acres. Our idea of camping is not an RV park sandwiched into a spot or a campground where everyone is closer than our neighbors at home. If we do stop in a park while traveling it's usually just an overnight and the bikes aren't used anyway. If we do stay and use the bikes we just leave and are usually out on the road all day. Our bikes are our toads.
I agree! Would rather hear a motorcycle for a few seconds as it passes by then my neighbors dog barking continuously because they abandoned it for the day locked inside their RV!

Old 03-22-2014, 06:41 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Thats not noise....... Thats mechanical 'music' !
Dont agree with anyone screaming thru a campground, or doing continuous loops thru it, but idleing in and out !
I agree with Wideglide. I have an '03 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic with Rhinehart Tru Duals pipes on it and it is music to me. But, and here is the key, I am respectful of others. When I leave to go to work early in the morning I am respectful of my neighbors who may still be sleeping. I am respectful of communities and try to preserve the peace within them. It's all about respect, and not just with motorcycles either. Even though I own and love my Harley I get annoyed when fellow bikers get on the throttle in inappropriate places. But on the open highway, or deserted country roads...that's a different story!
Old 03-22-2014, 06:56 AM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Ultra Classic is a sofa on wheels !
Need to have quiet pipes, so you can hear your radio, gps, tv !!
We have 2 HD riders in our "home" neighborhood that have their bikes exhaust to the max. To add insult to injury they run their radios so loud so they can hear the radio, that one can literally hear them coming a quarter of a mile away.

I used to ride, had good bikes, always stock exhaust. I got a big laugh out of the ones that used the argument on the bike forums that their exhaust was loud so people in cages (aka cars) knew they were there. I guess they missed the point they could not hear cars or horns.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:08 AM   #47

The rationalizations in many of these points are stunning. You start your bike with loud pipes in the morning to go to work, and somehow that's respectful? Or, how does the fact that there are other noise sources in campgrounds make generating yet more unnecessary noise OK? The bottom line is that when you purposely create a lot of noise when others are around (I don't know how many times I've had to raise my voice to speak to a passenger sitting next to me when a modified Harley goes by on the 'open highway') then you have made a conscious choice to value your love of the noise over the sensibilities of others. You may or may not care, but please don't kid yourselves into thinking you're being considerate and respectful while doing so.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:40 AM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
I don't know how many times I've had to raise my voice to speak to a passenger sitting next to me when a modified Harley goes by on the 'open highway'
So you do hear us when we come up to your blind spot.

You missed the point. Motorcycles entering or leaving campgrounds are probably less bothersome than the noises in the campground that don't go away. I'm quieter overall when I leave and return than that kid on a minibike that just keeps going around in circles.

I'd also rather be riding an American bike than a Japanese import any day. As far as the pipes on mine, they were on it when I got it but they are really no louder than the original stock pipes that were on it. My bike is quieter than many of the crotch rockets that fly past me especially since I obey the speed limit.

Harley riders for the most part tend to be more respectful (and older) than other riders. That being said, not everyone on a Harley is respectful and not everyone on a sport bike is disrespectful.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:40 AM   #49

I like loud Harleys, loud offshore boats, loud custom cars, loud snowmobiles, pre emission dp's we've owned them all and loved everyone of them. I don't like out of control children, out of control barking dogs, speeding in a campground including bicycles, out of control rvr's that have no clue how to be friendly to other people and please don't try to tell me that all rvr's are friendly. by the way DW likes the same noise I do. we watch Nascar, NHRA, and boat racing together. I'm 62 and yes I can still hear a loud Harley pulling up beside me quicker than a gold wing, love them too by the way. not picking on anybody, just saying! enjoy life its short.

Jim & sue
Old 03-22-2014, 07:50 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Seems that some of the HD owners have to have the loud pipes to draw attention to themselves....Look at what I have and you do not have.

We have left campgrounds when the HD crowd shows up. And you should have some peace and quiet in a campground. If I wanted noise, I'd stay in the city.

Ken
Old 03-22-2014, 07:56 AM   #51

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
A toy hauler just pulled into the CG where we are and unloaded 3 noisy obnoxious Haryley motorcycles. Even though I owned a '48 HydroGlyde (think that's what they called that model since it was the first one with hydraulic front suspension) back in the early 60's I've always wondered why HD thought they had to make their machines sound like a old tractor in order to be desirable.
The other major motorcycle manufacturers make just as large displacement engines but can hardly be heard across the street let alone clear across the campground. Don't get me wrong, they are a great cycle, U.S. made, and if I was to get back into cycling, which I doubt at my age, I'd probably be looking at HD's, but still don't understand why they have to be so loud and obnoxious.
HD produces the bikes off the line with stock pipes that meet all the federal requirements and are surprising quiet. Simply put, like any other bike.

AND, IMHO, its just as ignorant to claim you switch your pipes out so that "drivers are more likely to see me and it's safer" as it is to say that bikers ride bikes to make up for some physical manhood shortage (which is the nicer way I could think to put what we all know I'm saying).

Lets be fair here…yes, there are people who are rude and inconsiderate, and even feel justified although they are clearly not. Yup, happens everywhere. It's not just Bikers, it's society.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:58 AM   #52

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjim View Post
. I don't like out of control children, out of control barking dogs, speeding in a campground including bicycles, out of control rvr's that have no clue how to be friendly to other people and please don't try to tell me that all rvr's are friendly.
Well said.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:59 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Seems that some of the HD owners have to have the loud pipes to draw attention to themselves....Look at what I have and you do not have.

We have left campgrounds when the HD crowd shows up. And you should have some peace and quiet in a campground. If I wanted noise, I'd stay in the city.

Ken
This look at me syndrome has been going in campgrounds forever and I don't mean Harley riders. Most will understand. I my opinion which may not be worth much, this can also be attributed to pride of ownership and sometime just being a true Gearhead. I will try to say no more! lol.

Jim
Old 03-22-2014, 08:23 AM   #54

Wow, I do believe you stirred up a Bees nest here Wagonmaster.
I started to read this original post & couldn't believe all the replies, most everyone one was a legitimate reply but it really goes to show how you could ask the opinion of a subject to a group of people & get so many different opinion's.
Thanks everyone for the 1/2 hour of entertainment & really everybody just needs to be considerate of there neighbors (I'll bet if you walked over to the Harley guys with a cooler of beer & asked them to tone it down they would) & happy safe travels to all !
Old 03-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #55
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Most communities have noise ordinances that some will vigorously enforce, when it's a car or truck (How many times have you seen "no use of engine brakes" when entering a community or RV park?) - but inexplicably ignore if it's a bike. I don't get it. Community standards should be equally enforced or they're seen as arbitrary and punitive to a select group.

An earlier post is correct when it was pointed out that many RV parks don't allow motorcycles. It's not because of the people riding them. It's no different than pets being excluded, or certain breeds of dogs. A few irresponsible people can ruin or end the experience for all.

I'm not anti bike, far from it, and I can appreciate a well tuned exhaust, but I think what we're talking about here are the ground shaking decibels some riders think make them "cool", but only serves to turn public opinion against an entire group of hobbyists, including the vast majority of considerate and responsible riders.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
Old 03-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #56

The original post asked why noisy and obnoxious bikes? It's not the bike's fault, it is the owners.

As mentioned above, each bike passes the sound regs. by law leaving the factory. It is the dealers or owners that take off the street legal pipes and install the aftermarket pipes. Many of those aftermarket pipes are clearly labeled, "for off road use only". Enforce the laws as written!

Loud pipes also risk all biker's rights. Those loud pipes have caused all kinds of rules to be passed. There are private neighborhoods and campgrounds, and other places that refuse motorcycles to use their roadways. Try pushing a quiet 900# Goldwing to the front gate, because the homeowner rules forbid riding motorcycles in the neighborhood for some reason. See where you are forced to park when you visit Avery Island LA for a Tabasco plant tour. See billboards in FL, asking the riders to enjoy the party on the beach, but be "respectful" with all the illegal noise they are making. Rallys with names like "Thunder on the bay", surely no accident. I have checked into campgrounds that say no bikes allowed at the door. I have asked if they heard me arrive? Since they did not, they usually have let me sign in after we talked about the other typical loud exhaust bikes.

I have had different brands of bikes. Some made more hp, and never needed to make the amount of noise the V-twin crowd makes.

Respectful noise, what a joke. Oh wait, I hear my neighbor starting his HD, 7 houses away, heading out to breakfast. But I don't hear any of the cars or trucks making the stop sign on my lot's corner.

Closed Thread

Tags
campground