Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2014, 08:13 AM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Just think....Harley Davidson even got a PATENT
on their sound. It will be around for quite some time.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2014, 08:47 AM   #58

That sound is not the problem from the factory. Our police bikes in the surrounding cities are often HD's. They can be next to you at a stoplight, and not any problem with stock pipes. And the Police seem to have all the power they need to do the job. Plus they seem to not need to bleep the throttle.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:35 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamgreger View Post
Friends don't let friends ride stock bikes! The first thing to do is remove that restrictive exhaust. Respect your neighbor but if it's to loud you're too old!
Even when I was young, the loud pipes were annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by power guy View Post
I agree with most of you, that the statement "LOUD IS SAFE", is just an excuse to run with open pipes. Trains are loud and people still pull in front of them. What I find is most people don't like being called on rude behavior.
I had a bumper sticker on a truck that said "if loud pipes save lives, why do people get hit by trains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
So you do hear us when we come up to your blind spot.

You missed the point. Motorcycles entering or leaving campgrounds are probably less bothersome than the noises in the campground that don't go away. I'm quieter overall when I leave and return than that kid on a minibike that just keeps going around in circles.

I'd also rather be riding an American bike than a Japanese import any day. As far as the pipes on mine, they were on it when I got it but they are really no louder than the original stock pipes that were on it. My bike is quieter than many of the crotch rockets that fly past me especially since I obey the speed limit.

Harley riders for the most part tend to be more respectful (and older) than other riders. That being said, not everyone on a Harley is respectful and not everyone on a sport bike is disrespectful.
I would rather ride my reliable Honda Goldwing any day.

Just because Harley's are made in America does not mean all the parts are.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:41 PM   #60

Mid Atlantic Campers
HD can patent the sound - that is unique due to the crank offset between the two cylinders, but because of that offset they can't go really fast or quick. I had at least a dozen different bikes before buying this one in '95, a 1500 Intruder and nothing could touch it in a roll on up to 80 save a V-Max. The amount of power this thing had was what made me finally hang it up in 2004. My hands had too much arthritis to hang on safely. Although I did a little mild customizing, the engine and pipes were stock. It was quiet until you opened it up and then it sounded like a AA Fuel dragster - none of that lumpity-lump stuff. Also had no end of HD drivers drool over Suzi. Put 80k miles on her and nothing ever broke, just normal wear & tear. Best bike I ever had - and it was made in the USA!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Suzi 3.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	58898  
Old 03-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
I would rather ride my reliable Honda Goldwing any day.
Good for you. My Harley is a 2003 an at 11 years old and 23,000 miles it's never had a single problem. oil and filters only. I had a Honda. It was a different story. Had to have the engine rebuilt at 11,000 miles because a pin vibrated out and score the cylinder wall.
My Yamaha was reliable but not large enough for long distances. Ive been riding since I was 16 (45 years) and the Harley is the most enjoyable and fun ride I've owned. If I wanted something with all the bells and whistles like a Goldwing I'd drive my car. To each his own.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:48 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
IF I was going to get a bike, I would get a Japanese bike or a BMW. Something that is smooth a reliable.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 03-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #63

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
Think that was more for idle and low speed lope sound, potato.. potato.. potato.. potato
Old 03-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
Good for you. My Harley is a 2003 an at 11 years old and 23,000 miles it's never had a single problem. oil and filters only. I had a Honda. It was a different story. Had to have the engine rebuilt at 11,000 miles because a pin vibrated out and score the cylinder wall.
My Yamaha was reliable but not large enough for long distances. Ive been riding since I was 16 (45 years) and the Harley is the most enjoyable and fun ride I've owned. If I wanted something with all the bells and whistles like a Goldwing I'd drive my car. To each his own.
One honda and they all are bad?

23,000 miles on a 11 year old bike is nothing to brag about, it sits parked more than anything.

I traded in my 2001 Goldwing last year with 188,000 miles to get the 2012 I have now, I used that bike and it was never in the shop.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelsnkeels View Post
It so old people in their cages can hear them coming before changing lanes without looking and killing a rider
I ride metrics not a HD, they all can be made loud. Now the old people comment, I'm 65 and have perfect hearing so the sound of a bike does get my attention. This is so true here in California where lane sharing is legal although I think it gets pushed by many riders. Yesterday we were returning from LA back to San Diego in traffic that would go from 60mph to a stop and you find yourself looking for a better lane we have when I hear a bike that is weaving up through the traffic. I had just looked left and then right next I hear him as I'm getting ready to move into the left lane and there he is. I'm glad I heard him first!! But the constant burping of the throttle is not necessary when most current bikes are fuel injected. I've had Hondas the last VTX 1800 loved it but now we have a Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, air ride, electronic cruise control and hard bags. BTW metrics are much cheaper to own than a HD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-11-06_12-10-53_61.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	58919   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3113.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	333.5 KB
ID:	58920  

Old 03-22-2014, 05:03 PM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
Never heard that one before...maybe on STOCK pipes, but one thing for certain, HD doesn't have a patent on noise that's illegal. I think most here are talking about the Harleys that the owners have completely gutted the exhaust system of ALL internal baffles...basically straight pipes. No patent there.

I rode a Heritage Springer for over 10 years. I put Scream'n Eagle pipes on it for more 'throat' (not gutted straight pipes), falling into that 'more noise is safer' syndrome and with probably a touch 'pride'. As far as I'm concerned, it's total BULL. After more close calls than I'd like, the last straw was when a speeder almost hit us on the Melbourne causeway doing well over 100mph, chasing another driver he had a beef with... what was it for me. Maybe I should have been running straight pipes. You can't fix 'unaware' or 'stupid' with loud pipes...IMO.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
Old 03-22-2014, 05:22 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
One honda and they all are bad?

23,000 miles on a 11 year old bike is nothing to brag about, it sits parked more than anything.

I traded in my 2001 Goldwing last year with 188,000 miles to get the 2012 I have now, I used that bike and it was never in the shop.
There's good and bad in all makes. I think an engine should last more than 11,000 miles before it needs replacing.

When you have more than one bike they don't all get ridden all the time. The other HD had 86,000 with nothing but oil changes, break pads, and tires. It would still be here if a jerk at the shop hadn't been riding it to lunch (without permission) when it was in for inspection and crashed and totaled it. Gold wings are nice with all the buttons and things but not something I would consider riding. I would not ride a newer Harley with all that crap on it either. That's what cars are for. Again, to each his own.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:30 PM   #68

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with HD reliability, I never had a problem with any of them that I owned and I put thousands of miles on them touring. Luckily I can say the same about all the other bikes I have had but there are some lemons from every brand.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:21 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
IF I was going to get a bike, I would get a Japanese bike or a BMW. Something that is smooth a reliable.

Ken
Mr. Emeritus, you must be really proud that you live in the USA!!!! Throw me out if you like! What a bunch of ______! Have a nice evening!

Jim
Old 03-22-2014, 07:29 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

Ken
+1 I have been looking at a few sport touring bikes. I want something that is comfortable for my wife in the back and something that has similar performance to my sport bikes.
Closed Thread

Tags
campground