Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2016, 07:01 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
We're about 15 months into owning our coach (took possession in March, 2015).

We spent roughly 120 nights in the coach during calendar year 2015 - lots of extended weekend trips (3-4 days) to campgrounds within 100 miles of home. There were a handful of longer trip (10-14 days) during which we ventured a little farther afield.

Over the course of 2015, we gained some experience both in terms of how to drive, operate and most importantly "live" in the coach. The most important discovery was that it was possible for me to work my day job as an IT nerd for a large bank from the coach (both from the technical - as well as from the "company policy" perspective) - which dramatically reduces any limits imposed by my need to work. We also realized that my wife's job (part time pediatric intensive care nurse) was the biggest obstacle to more travel.

We removed that obstacle by having her retire at the beginning of January 2016 - and started the year off with a 2 month trip to Florida. We've gotten out at least a couple of weekends per month since our return.

We expect we'll stay home for much of the summer. Parks are crowded, the bugs are at their worst, the "hot" just ain't our thing ... and there's a ton of stuff happening around home. Wife loves hanging by the pool with her girlfriends ... and it's the busy season for my music projects (lots of "Concert in the Park" and festival gigs). I'm hoping to get a week or two up north - likely by myself.

We're leaving for AZ right after labor day ... and will be back in time for Thanksgiving dinner. If all goes as planned we'll have spent roughly 160 nights in the coach over the course of 2016. Going forward into 2017 - we're hoping to be able to spend 7-8 months a year on the road ... basically spending three months of summer and the month or so between Thanksgiving and New Years around home.

SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2016, 08:00 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
What a question!
We did our first winter bird travel deal this year and left for six weeks. Came home for a week and left for two more weeks.
Haven't been out since.
Probably doing a week or two this summer.
Our challenge is availability of our house sitter

Old 06-01-2016, 08:13 AM   #17

On our second C, looking at A's. Former tent campers. Before we retired it was weekends and a summer week or two. Now retired and trend to late winter and fall long trips with short summer jaunts mid week when the parks are less busy. (Weekends tend to fill with reservations early, mid week usually open.) Also a couple of events we park at.

Any place is fair game to spend a night depending on what we are doing and where we are going. On longer trips we look for WiFi fairly often. Short trips don't matter.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
What a question!
We did our first winter bird travel deal this year and left for six weeks. Came home for a week and left for two more weeks.
Haven't been out since.
Probably doing a week or two this summer.
Is that a GOOD "What a question!" or a BAD "What a question!"?

It's something I'm dealing with in my own head. We've got several years until retirement and I'm trying to think of usage vs cost while still working.

Our intent would be to use it often... but realistically I know it would not me every weekend and probably not even a weekend a month after the intial newness wears off. Then, of course, I start thinking about all that money spent on something that's just sitting parked and unused so much . But then the other side of me thinks about all the fun we could have. But then the other side of me starts again with the total usage... UGH!

Thanx everyone for your replys. So I'm not off base with my thoughts that we would most likely not be using this weekly or even monthly in a lot of cases, as life gets in the way .
Old 06-01-2016, 09:36 AM   #19

When our last kid moved out this winter, we decided to buy a trailer to go out two weekends a month over the summer and two 2 week trips in the winter/summer. We like to hike & kayak, and the hotels in some of the areas were horrible so we decided this would be a better way. We are able to do this because we don't have any ties at home on the weekends. If we had kids in sports, or outside activities we wouldn't be able to make this work. We are ~15 years until retirement.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:04 AM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We usually go on one big trip a year. 900 miles out and back. We only drive 5-6 hours a day, so we take our time. 12 days for the most part. After that it's 3 and 4 day weekends maybe a 5 day thrown in. We stay home during the summer and hang around our pool. It's just too dang hot and humid around here for it to be enjoyable.
This year we went to Galveston Island on a 12 day trip out of Atlanta. We've been out at least twice a month since then to local COE parks for 3 or 4 days each. We are going out weekend after next to a COE park on Lake Lanier for 2 nights. Then we are parking it in the drive until August.
We are going to Ashville, NC late August. Anchor Down in early October and back to filling in weekends until it's time to winterize.
We put a little over 5000 miles on her last year. This year, we will do about the same.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:26 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Still working full time, but because of my involvement in the Lucas Oil Drag Boat Racing Series (part time), we try to incorporate a couple weeks vacation between two races out west. We have been all over AZ and UT during those vacations. I only have to buy diesel for the travel outside the path to/from the races. The rest is reimbursed and this helps the wallet a lot, not to mention the few dollars I make at the races.

For other trips not associated with the races, we have discovered that the cost of diesel is offset by not having to pay for boarding our Airedales. On last summer's NM trip, it would have cost us about the same to board them for 10 days, as what we spent on diesel for the 1800 mi trip ($700).

We also take the MH to a couple races here in Texas. We prefer to stay in it at the venue with our doggies, than stay in a motel room. we usually end up cooking for the whole team for a couple meals.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
I guess I don't understand why you have to wait until your house sitter is available to take your RV out. I would guess that the majority of RVers don't have a house sitter.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:08 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink toaster View Post
It's something I'm dealing with in my own head. We've got several years until retirement and I'm trying to think of usage vs cost while still working.

Our intent would be to use it often... but realistically I know it would not me every weekend and probably not even a weekend a month after the intial newness wears off. Then, of course, I start thinking about all that money spent on something that's just sitting parked and unused so much . But then the other side of me thinks about all the fun we could have. But then the other side of me starts again with the total usage... UGH!

Thanx everyone for your replys. So I'm not off base with my thoughts that we would most likely not be using this weekly or even monthly in a lot of cases, as life gets in the way .
Ok.. still working... SEVERAL years till retirement...

We own a class A and try to take it out as much as possible.. We live in WI, so our "season" isn't as long as others... However, we've expanded out radius of travel...

At first (couple years ago), we were primarily prototypical weekend warriors... We would leave on Friday, directly after work, and spend the weekend somewhere within 2-3 hours from home... we typically stayed in State Parks here in WI (we're very luck, they're very nice parks) and returned home on Sunday...

Now.. as of the past couple years.. we've broadened our travel area, and we've started to take Friday's off... our plan is to leave directly after work (usually leave work early) and get on the road.. Since we've expanded our area to 3-5 hours.. we'll now wallydock on Thursday night close to our destination and pull into the park early Friday morning.. still returning on Sunday..

The past couple years.. we've averaged over 30 nights in the RV.. that includes all our weekends, and at least one week long vacation..

We are very fortunate that we can blend our two passions seamlessly.. we love to camp.. we love to ride the bike... We find destinations that offer great riding and small towns... Some of our weekend excursions have been: Lexington KY for the Bourbon Trail... Brown County SP in Indiana (called the Smokey's of Indiana).. South Haven, MI along Lake Michigan.. Cincinnati, OH along the Ohio River and along the Mississippi River in WI..

We like to stay at State Parks due to the rustic/shaded campgrounds.. but we've also stayed in luxury resort types too.. it all depends on whats available and convenient..

Finally.. if you're trying to cost-justify the purchase of a motorhome.. don't.. you can't... it makes no financial sense what-so-ever... RV's are for one thing.. pleasure.. and if you're always trying to "justify" spending the money.. you'll never find the time for the pleasure..

Good luck...
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
available and convenient..

Finally.. if you're trying to cost-justify the purchase of a motorhome.. don't.. you can't... it makes no financial sense what-so-ever... RV's are for one thing.. pleasure.. and if you're always trying to "justify" spending the money.. you'll never find the time for the pleasure..

Good luck...
Haha! You hit the nail on the head!
Old 06-01-2016, 01:07 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I didn't buy my motorhome until a few months after I retired.

The first year we took it to Las Vegas (the "shakedown cruise"), Yellowstone, Zion and Grand Teton National Parks and then Lake Havasu. I wrapped up the year at Joshua Tree National Park. We did take a non-RV trip to Japan.

So far this year, it's been San Diego, Yosemite National Park, Tehachapi and Ventura Beach with a non-RV trip to Hawaii.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:28 PM   #26

Quote:
How often do you use your RVs? Do you go every weekend? Once a month? Once every 2 to 3 to 4 months?

Where do you go... national/state parks? the beach? do you stay in RV parks? do you boondock? do you stay in Walmart/Truckstops/other parking lots?

And what do you have? A/B/C? 5th wheel? trailer?

Mid 30's, two kids, class A DP, and we burn all of our leave each year. We usually do three and four day weekends during the year locally and take a few weeks at a time to travel a bit further.

As has been pointed out, you really can't outright justify an RV from a purely financial point. Then again, there are a lot of things that can't be outright justified from a purely financial point. Our rig came as a choice between an RV or a timeshare. For the price of a "long week" timeshare at a high end resort we ended up with an RV that we can take anywhere and use anytime.

For us it was "one week a year" at a select location or "whenever we want" at "where ever we want" for the same amount of money. When you look at it that way the decision gets easier.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Haha! You hit the nail on the head!
And I'll add.... If you have kids... like me... you'll find no better "memory maker"... My kids are 13, 14 & 16... and even though two of them are in HS.. they STILL look forward to going camping with Dad... to me... that's priceless..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:12 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Before I retired in 2015 we were camping almost every weekend. When DW retires in 2017 we will be gone a looong time!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote