Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2016, 10:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingery56 View Post
We are about to purchase first camping rig and were excited about it. The dealer wants $1,000 non-refundable deposit but says we can't see the contract until the trailer gets to the dealership from the manufacturer. Has anyone else had this experience? Seems only fair if they make the deposit non-refundable that they would be able to let you read your contract first. We're pretty amazed at this and interested in your experience.
gingery56
IMO you have 2 sensible choices.
1.) Wait until you can see the trailer and read the contract.
2.) Find a different dealer.

(BTW I recommend #2).

Mel
'96 Safari

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2016, 11:03 AM   #16

Non-refundable deposit is normal for a special order. I had to put $500 down for mine. I could not get a formal contract because there was no VIN available. Once the manufacturer gave the dealer a VIN a contract was drafted. However I did have a preliminary agreement I had signed that spelled out what model and options I was buying with the dealer price. All additional fees were explained upfront...I have had zero issue with my dealer so far, they have been great. Even got the manufacturer to move the build date up because the proposed delivery date was to close to my vacation I need the camper for.

You may want to research the dealer, check BBB etc to see if others have had issues with them.

Good Luck

Old 05-12-2016, 11:09 AM   #17

Anyone who would ask someone to agree to a contract without having seen it, is playing you for a fool.
PJStough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:10 AM   #18

I would run from this deal as fast as possible.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:32 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingery56 View Post
We are about to purchase first camping rig and were excited about it. The dealer wants $1,000 non-refundable deposit but says we can't see the contract until the trailer gets to the dealership from the manufacturer. Has anyone else had this experience? Seems only fair if they make the deposit non-refundable that they would be able to let you read your contract first. We're pretty amazed at this and interested in your experience.
A non refundable deposit for a custom order "anything' is not completely out of line but you should have some sort of receipt that lists (in detail) what your deposit is for. And like Gary mentioned, there should be some sort of a time table involved and a way to get the deposit back if they fail to come through.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:01 PM   #20

If you put in on a Credit Card can you get it refunded that way?

Otherwise, I'd go somewhere else.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
2015 Fiat 500 Pop stick
Old 05-14-2016, 02:16 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In order for the deposit to be non refundable, that has to be stated on a contract. So, if you or the dealer don't have a contract with your signature on it that states the deposit is non refundable, the deposit is refundable. Put it on a credit card and the credit card company will reverse it pretty much no questions asked if you run into an issue. At a very minimum I would have a buyers order that states what you are buying, when it will be delivered and in what condition. If you can get that, it is standard procedure to give a deposit on a special order regardless of how it is ordered.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:09 AM   #22

If you put it on a credit card, you usually only have 60 days to dispute a charge. Failing to deliver a product is a standard and valid reason for a charge back but it has to be done within 60 days.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:08 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We special ordered ours, and signed a contract and gave them a non-refundable deposit.
We also signed a special form that advised the deposit was non-refundable, unless the unit was delivered in time, in which case we would need to renegotiate the deal or get our money back. It did not show up in time and we renegotiated an even better deal!!!!

Like I learned in business school " If it isn't in writing it never happened"

Tried being normal once, worst 2 minutes of my life!
Rickeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:28 PM   #24

Sounds bogus as hell.

First there should be a sales agreement which states terms of sale.

A Vin specific contract may be different as no vin.

If custom order then stop and breathe.

Contact the manufacturer or check their Web page for other dealers and see how they work.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:38 PM   #25

Combine all the replies to your question and you have your answer. Rickeoni, and Gary said everything needed.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote