Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2011, 10:34 PM   #1

Non US residents wanting to register RV in USA - HELP !!!

We are from Australia and hoping that there is someone out there able to give us info on where in the USA we would be able to register a vehicle as non residents. Our plan is to purchase a Motorhome for our use each year while on a 2 - 3 month holiday and then leave it in the hands of a Consignment Rental Company between trips. If anyone can pass on the name of Consignment Retal Companies that would be great too.
Thanks, Annette

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2011, 11:13 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Hi Annette,

I can't recommend a certain consignment rental business but if you Google them as I did you will find a group of them. Be very careful on which one you pick. I read a recent story posted about a man that left his with a rental agency and they rented it out for him. Only problem is they never paid him the rental fees.

I don't know anything about registering a vehicle as a nonresident so you will have to contact the different states to find out what their policies are. I would recommend that you try to register it in the state where the rental company is located.

This is what I found when I Googled RV Consignment Rentals.

rv consignment rentals - Google Search

Good Luck,
Jon

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:09 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting problem.

Do you have any idea of which state you might buy the motorhome in?
Old 09-25-2011, 07:12 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Try Florida, its mostly Aliens ( 80%) year around, and have a number of rentals companys
Old 09-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
For the registration, you are going to have to do an LLC (Limited Liability Company) Several states, including Montana, allow virtually anyone to form a company, and the company can aquire and own property, including an RV.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:01 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
There is a family on this web site that are from Europe and have a Diplomat registered someplace in the USA and do almost exactly what you have mentioned. They are from Denmark. I think there title on here is The danes are comming or something like that.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:04 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Visitors often find it easiest to establish a non-profit company to own the RV. It stays in the USA even when the owner of the company (you) leaves to go back home, so it can continue to do business here. Montana is the state most popular for this purpose, since it has no sales tax. That allows you to save substantially on the RV purchase.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:37 AM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Annette,
I met you on another forum and suggested this forum for some answers. There are others from across the waters that have done what you are striving to do. So good luck with that. Others should be along to give you some ideas.

My personal opinion is that by renting it out you are just creating wear and tear on everything about the Coach. I personally would rather just store it until the next time I need it. There are pros and cons about that also. Just recently our covered storage went up $10 USD, so it is now $115 a month. That is not covered on the sides, just a roof. I figure that is far less costly than the maintenance required if renting it out.

Good luck. Hope to run into you in your travels here in the U.S.

p.s., we met a couple from England that had wanted to rent and travel. The cost was several thousand dollars a month. They talked to a dealer in Florida, and the dealer stated he would purchase the RV back from them when the departed, less depreciation.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #9

Thanks Jon,
Haven't had too much luck with Google searches of consignment rentals most searches bring up consignment sales and I find a lot of the time I don't get reply emails back from companies - I feel that they don't take the inquiry seriously coming from Australia.
From what I have learnt, there is a very narrow window of time with most DMVs from purchase to when the vehicle has to be registered, so I figured for ease we would purchase the vehicle in the State that we were going to register it in and just to make this exercise more fun I'm trying to find a Consignment rental company in that State as well.
Annette
Old 09-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #10

Thanks Grumpy, I'm a nice alien and look relatively normal too so I'm sure that I'd be welcome in Florida. we may meet you and the 5 wives some time 'down the track'.
Annette
Old 09-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
We purchased our coach from Goss RV (Goss luxury motorhome rv rentals. Class A luxury RVs rental nationwide. Luxury class A motor homes for business, vacations.). They definitely are willing to rent out your coach for you if that is your desire.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:13 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I noticed my insurance specifically prohibits renting my MH. I assume the consignment company would handle a policy that covers the MH during rental periods but wonder what my insurance company would have to say about the separate policy and rental use?
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:46 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
There is a family on this web site that are from Europe and have a Diplomat registered someplace in the USA and do almost exactly what you have mentioned. They are from Denmark. I think there title on here is The danes are comming or something like that.
Here is the link to their profile

iRV2 Forums - View Profile: The Danes Are Coming
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #14

Arch, I understand that as soon as we take delivery of vehicle that we don't have too much time in which to register it. So, for ease of the exercise we want to purchase and register in same state, on top of that and again for ease we want consignment rental company in that State.
Annette