Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2016, 09:07 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Norcold Class Action Lawsuit Notice

FYI - I just received a Class Action Lawsuit notice regarding the Norcold Refrigerator. The notice involves various models (1200, N6, and N8 series) with the below manufactured dates;

1200 series - Between January 1, 2002 and October 1, 2012
N6 and N8 series - Between January 1, 2009 and December 31, 2013.

The lawsuit claims the above mentioned refrigerators "share a safety related defect in the cooling unit which, in certain circumstances, cause the boiler tubes to corrode and leak flammable gas, exposing customers to the risk of fire."

My 2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE has the N6 series refrigerator.

Go to www.NorcoldClassAction.com for further information.

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2016, 09:20 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I believe those dates apply to the N6/N8 series cooling units. The 1200 series cooling units have a manufacturing date between January 1, 2002 and October 1, 2012.

bonzocfi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:26 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzocfi View Post
I believe those dates apply to the N6/N8 series cooling units. The 1200 series cooling units have a manufacturing date between January 1, 2002 and October 1, 2012.
Yes... Sorry, you are correct. I have updated my post. Thanks!

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:39 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I signed up even though ours is in the garage and a residential in the MH. What could it hurt? We did replace the cooling unit, circuit board and fans while it was in use. Also had the recall done.

It never worked what I called correctly so a Samsung replaced it.
HD4Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:47 PM   #5

So did Norcold make some drastic change in late 2012 or why that date range and also the limited number of models?
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:04 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The recall was to retrofit a temperature sensor, but after 2012 the sensor and program logic was built-in.

Simply, those are the models that were covered in the prior lawsuit, i.e. the models that had been subject to overheat failures and fires. Nobody has been alleging any "safety-related defects" with the other models, so they aren't offering anything to the owners.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:12 PM   #7

getting mine replaced on the extended warranty I purchased caught it in time and getting all the other stuff done at the same time
Old 05-14-2016, 08:41 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Norcold obviously knows there is a problem since they have done recalls to have the safety gadget installed. Not really fixing the problem. Sort of like this electric outlet catches on fire sometimes so rather than replace it I will put a fire extinguisher next to it.
HD4Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:31 AM   #9

If you would have received this notification wouldn't it be wise to fill out claim form ?
Old 05-18-2016, 12:34 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1959 View Post
If you would have received this notification wouldn't it be wise to fill out claim form ?
Depends on what you think about class actions and what the associated consumer/attorney settlement will actually be. Most of the class actions I've been a party of end up with a check of <$100 for the class.

Also, signing the class settlement may also make any other settlement unavailable (say, in case your 1200 caused a fire), but you may want to read the fine print.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:18 PM   #11

Norcold class action

The attorneys are the only ones who realize any real money. We received a notice since we had one of the units specified in our 2003 Southwind. Had the recall work performed by a local dealer and then traded it on our new coach. Never had a problem with the unit. Rufus
Old 05-27-2016, 09:08 AM   #12

Angry mine too, but!!

We have a 2004 Monaco with the 1200 series and had the recall fix installed. The "fix" failed this past winter while our unit was stored. Rather than just send me a replacement that anyone could install (4 wires to a unit clipped to rear of fridge). I had to take the unit to Camping world where they did it in the same 5 minutes it would have taken me. Norcold is apparently so spooked by the legals filing the class action suit that they don't dare do the common sense stuff that businesses used to do to keep their reputation. Like just send me a replacement and I'll remove and re-attach 4 wires!!! As mentioned in another post, joining these things reduces your future options, gets you almost nothing($$) while the legal firm rakes in big $$$. This kind of class action stuff is rampant and only lines the pockets of the scabs that prey on these things. Our costs go up because the cost of doing business goes up. Just look at all of the advertising done for medical malpractice and the "ambulance chasers" We consumers ultimately pay for lining these people's pockets. I'll take my chances that Norcold will do the right thing if I have an issue with the fix.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:22 AM   #13

Norcold Refrigerator 1200

I have the exact same issue as ibw6303 , in my 2004 Endeavor .
The first sensor switch was installed in 2013 . It recently tripped out shutting down the fridge . I was able to reset it with a magnet on previous trips but not so this time.
I assumed there was a law suit in progress as Norcold was so uncooperative in sending me a replacement sensor . i have to take it in to a dealer for inspection before they will ship out the part .
So its a CYA by Norcold , in the meantime customer service sucks !!
Old 08-06-2016, 08:49 PM   #14

Do you have to remove the fridge in order to find the date it was built? I found the serial number inside 973327FB and the model number which is the 1200 LRIM, but the date of being manufactured in Sidney, Ohio I am not sure. Is it the number that is under Group Code 10904?

Another serial number appears on the outside which is a Cu1338444.

RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, norcold