RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2019, 07:53 AM   #1

Norcold Door Hinge(s)

We are mooch docking at a friend's place in Richmond, VA. This morning, when I opened the door of our 8 cubic foot Norcold, the bottom hinge broke. Of course it is full of food. This is Saturday and we plan to head back home Monday. This is a 2012 Cougar.
We were able to get the door aligned and shut, but feel it is best to just leave it alone until we get home and unload it. I am not sure where I am going with this, but Monday morning, maybe call the dealer back home with the make/model info so they can order parts and make an appointment for repair as we head out again in late May and need a working refrigerator.
Any other suggestions?
I can't believe they have plastic hinges on these things.

SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2019, 08:05 AM   #2

Both lower door hinges broke on my 1200. Actually, it was the track that the hinges slide in that broke. JB weld to the rescue and havenít had a problem since.

Jake21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:05 PM   #3

The bottom pin is missing and the hinge had some smaller pieces break off and disappear, but would have never thought JB would be strong enough. In talking to the parts guy back home, he needs the intimate details from the plate inside the door before ordering parts. But we also determined that we can just take the door in as it just hangs on the pins.
DW wants to use Gorilla tape to ensure the door doesn't come off while traveling. I just want to wrap a sofa pillow in a blanket and wedge it between the door and slider wall.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:45 PM   #4

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
Both lower door hinges broke on my 1200. Actually, it was the track that the hinges slide in that broke. JB weld to the rescue and havenít had a problem since.
I, too, had a Norcold lower PLASTIC hinge break off on my Class C MH refrigerator, only 5 years old! We were almost home following a trip to Zion NP. My wife removed everything from the door shelves and I used a large bunge cord to hold it in place for the drive home, with a throw pillow squeezed between the bulge and the door to provide added pressure. Gently removed the bungee whenever anyone wanted something from the refrigerator. I waited til we got home to repair it. I, too, used JB Weld to glue the broken piece of plastic back in place. I added, with JB WELD, a piece of metal bent like an "L" to give the broken piece of plastic some support. Works better than new! If you lost the lower hinge pin, you may have trouble just glueing the broken piece of plastic back in place. But keep in mind, JB Weld is great stuff (and I do not work for them, lol). a friend went to the Norcold website and told me that they sell a retro-fit kit just for these types of repairs. I do not have first hand knowledge of this, just passing on what I was told. Best of luck. You know, that's what I love about RVing. No matter what goes wrong, there is almost always someone out there that has see it before and lends a helping hand. What other activity or recreation are people so friendly and willing to help?
CaptainWacoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:07 AM   #5
IC2

Use this as a Google search term: Norcold refrigerator parts ind this will come up: https://www.thetford.com/parts/norcold-refrigerators/. Then enter the model number. The hinges will show on the cabinet assembly. I looked at our 1210 just for info and it is Item 5 tho yours may be different
Old 05-11-2019, 01:14 PM   #6

I got the door off the refrigerator this morning, and the missing pin was still in the broken off hinge. The two pieces fit together well and JB Weld should fill in for any tiny pieces that flaked off. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 05-11-2019, 01:55 PM   #7

Also, I was told to not open the door while underway. We do sometimes, but I always make sure the road is very smooth.
Jake21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Use this as a Google search term: Norcold refrigerator parts ind this will come up: https://www.thetford.com/parts/norcold-refrigerators/. Then enter the model number. The hinges will show on the cabinet assembly. I looked at our 1210 just for info and it is Item 5 tho yours may be different
Thanks, I checked it out and was afraid they didn't have my model N811 and then I checked N81 and there were 9 under that including mine. It doesn't show the lower piece, but I think the upper and lower may be the same and it is listed as a kit. I JB Welded it, but will take the door to the dealer to order parts to have on hand just in case the JB Weld doesn't last.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
I got the door off the refrigerator this morning, and the missing pin was still in the broken off hinge. The two pieces fit together well and JB Weld should fill in for any tiny pieces that flaked off. Thanks for the suggestions!
As suggested previously, remove everything from the door bins to lessen the weight on the repaired hinge until you return home. I would then buy a replacement JIC.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy Read more at: John_F_Kennedy_1961
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:04 AM   #10

I took the door to the dealer yesterday and found I would have to get a whole new door for $195 as you can't just buy the broken part. I hope the JB Weld works!
Old 05-14-2019, 06:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
I took the door to the dealer yesterday and found I would have to get a whole new door for $195 as you can't just buy the broken part. I hope the JB Weld works!

After getting it glued go to Amazon and buy this:
https://www.amazon.com/Norcold-63416...s%2C273&sr=8-1

It's designed to strengthen the joint of the hinge. I wish I'd have known about it sooner.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:23 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
JB Weld to glue back together along with the hinge kit works well. Did this to ours and it held for a couple years, no signs of cracks when I removed it and replaced with a residential this spring.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
After getting it glued go to Amazon and buy this:
https://www.amazon.com/Norcold-63416...s%2C273&sr=8-1

It's designed to strengthen the joint of the hinge. I wish I'd have known about it sooner.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Old 05-14-2019, 08:20 AM   #14

I also found you can get the replacement doors on Amazon for about $65 cheaper than at the dealer.

Tags
door, norcold