Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2013, 02:12 AM   #57

Unhappy Norcold fire on 1.21.13

All, I wanted to make you aware of a terrible loss that some wonderful people and friends have suffered. Their refrigerator (Norcold 4 door style) burst into flames around 8 am on the 21st and they have lost everything in their home. It is a total loss. This has just been devastating to them. I personally can not imagine living through this, however we are helping them as much as humanly possible.

This couple is very sweet and I hope and pray that they have some recourse. On top of all of this, I just found out today that my 2007 37 FT Holiday Rambler Neptune XL has the exact same refrigerator and that this could potentially happen to me. I called my dealer this evening as soon as I found out and she is going to call me in the AM.

Even though we have insurance it is never enough, the coverages are not what we think they are nor are they very helpful in times like this. I am 4 hours away from the closest dealer and they said, well just turn it off and unplug until you can get here. We are in sever winter with temps below 0, snow on the ground and some of the passes have been closed. I am just in awe of this lack of support and service.

If anyone has any suggestion for me that I can help this family as well as myself, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thanks

Fred S.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5084.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	32496   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5085.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	32497  

Name:	IMG_5086.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	32498   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5087.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	467.1 KB
ID:	32499  

Name:	IMG_5073.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	340.2 KB
ID:	32500   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5074.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	349.6 KB
ID:	32501  

Name:	IMG_5075.jpg
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	32502   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5076.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	32503  

Name:	IMG_5081.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	32504   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5082.jpg
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	32505  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2013, 02:19 AM   #58

More pics from 1.21.13 Fire

Here are more pics of the devastation to this 2007 Winnebago Adventurer. It is a total loss per the Arson Investigator, Fire Department and yet they are still sending out an adjustor from what I have been told so far. I am not sure what else they want it has a whole that runs almost the side of the motorhome drivers side not to mention the roof is pretty much gone! Very few things are even salvageable out of the home due to fire, smoke and water damage.Click image for larger version

Views:	93
ID:	32506

Views:	83
ID:	32507

Name:	IMG_5083.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	32508

ID:	32509Click image for larger version

Views:	93
ID:	32506

ID:	32507

Name:	IMG_5083.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	32508

ID:	32509

Name:	IMG_5085.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	32510

Name:	IMG_5086.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	32511

Name:	IMG_5087.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	467.1 KB
ID:	32512

Old 01-24-2013, 06:05 AM   #59

Thor Owners Club
Your friends should contact the law firm that is pursuing this matter on behalf of the class - Norcold Fire-Prone RV & Boat Refrigerator Lawsuit.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by micd View Post
What I don't understand is why they didn't go back to an earlier design. We have a 1994 that is not part of the recall. It always keeps things cold and has been no problem. And since it is not part of the recall I'm assuming it does not have the design flaw.
I would still worry if I were you. An older coach in our RV park in Florida burned down completely plus melting the side of his park model and others around him. He wasn't a part of the recall either. We were in the park when it happened at 5:00 a.m. in the morning. Black smoke was everywhere and you can only know how fast my husband and I jumped out of bed when we smelled that horrible wire burning smell as we thought we were on fire ourselves. Lucky, no other coach got burned.

So, be cautious even though you are not on the Recall List.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
We were thinking of putting in an SS-30 Halon Extinguisher 90 Degree Auto Deploy Unit under our Norcold Cooling Unit. We thought we would do this first before shelling out over $1,000 for an Amish Built Cooling Unit right now. If we have a fire from the defect, this Halon Extinguisher should take care of it. If we do have a fire, I understand the Halon System does not destroy anything in the box and that we could still replace the Norcold Cooling Unit with the Amish one. This would be the time I would put the Amish Cooling Unit in. At least I would have a safety factor built in for now with the Extinguisher and feel safe sleeping at night and leaving the coach during the day.

Does anyone know if the Halon System has helped anyone with a Norcold Fire?
Old 02-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #62

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sending an adjuster does not mean they plan to repair the motorhome. They just need a professional to evaluate the damage. 99% of the time when we talked to the insurance co and said it was a loss, when the adjuster arrived, he agreed with us.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVSavvy View Post
We were thinking of putting in an SS-30 Halon Extinguisher 90 Degree Auto Deploy Unit under our Norcold Cooling Unit.

Does anyone know if the Halon System has helped anyone with a Norcold Fire?
Halon systems are non existent anymore however there are other clean agent systems that can be used. Clean agents are typically used in either confined man spaces (with caution) or on electrical equipment. "A" rated fires, such as wood, paper, plastic etc.. should be extinguished using an ABC powder.

In a manned spaced, clean agents such as the past halon and now the likes of Halotron, FE Agents and such, the mixing with other gases creates an environment much more dangerous than the original fire. Back in the 90's, before the retirement of Halon, Diesel engines would have to have a shut down installed upon activation as the Halon after it was send through the engine combustion created an exhaust gas that was lethal.

Im not completely knowledgeable about the Norcold issues, but what is it exactly that catches on fire with them?

I can help those who want to make an automatic / Manual fire suppression system with a normal ABC Extinguisher.

Also.......

This little throw away 2 1/2 # BC extinguishers that come with most coaches....... Throw them away and go to Lowe's or Home depot or the like and get a couple good 5# ABC 3A40BC extinguisher with a hose. If you had a fire under the Coach or in a wheel well and you tip the extinguisher upside down, all you do is let the small amount of expellant gas out and leave all the powder behind, which is OK if you use it on wood, paper, plastic etc.... Because it won't work on "A" fires anyways.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #64

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jobe05

Try this site. http://www.rvcoolingunit.net/servlet...***/Categories

Halon for express purpose of....
Just one option.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Lawyers spend years and millions hoping for a case like this. No one ever profits but the lawyers. I can't tell you how many $2.00 checks I've gotten while the lawyers make millions. I know it's a business. But they make money on others losses and pain. Not a very good fair system.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Jobe05

Try this site. Fire Fight1 Extinguishers

Halon for express purpose of....
Just one option.
Im still curious to what they are calling "Halon". From Wikipedia (for lack of a better resource at hand at the moment):
__________________________________________________ ____________
Ozone depleting substance

The production of bromochlorodifluoromethane and similar chlorofluorocarbons has been banned in most countries since January 1, 1994 as part of the Montreal Protocol on ozone depleting substances. However, recycling of halon 1211 allows it to remain in use, although parts availability is limited to a few manufacturers and can be an issue. Halon 1211 is still widely used in the United States, despite its high cost, with the US Military being the biggest user, but Europe and Australia have banned its use for all but "critical applications" such as aviation, military, and police use.
The manufacture of UL Listed halon 1211 extinguishers was supposed to cease on October, 2009. The future listing is still in discussion. Halotron I is the replacement extinguishing agent. It takes a larger volume to get the same ratings as 1211 has.
This is a volatile extinguishing agent that should be used only with a breathing apparatus.
__________________________________________________ ____________

That is for Halon 1211. There is Halon 1301 but generally that is engineered for use where concentration can build in a Sealed environment, not sure what 1 pound would / could do in an open space.

Would be curious to see it actually put out a fire.

Edit: How much space is this 1 pound unit covering? Is it a sealed environment?

It's tough to calculate how much gas it would take if the environment is open to the atmosphere (Vent grate behind fridge to the outside or vented out the roof). Halon works in concentration of 5%(min) to 7% (opt) with a less than 1 minute discharge. It would take 3 pounds of halon at 120 degrees atmosphere temp to reach 5% in 97 Cubic Feet of Sealed environment. I have never engineered any space smaller than that, it would be a dart throw to know if 1 pound could give the necessary results to extinguish a fire.

I would feel better about it if the sprinkler head was rated at 135 degrees versus 165 degrease. That 30 degree in temperature rise on the floor could be minutes of fire........ and I wouldn't imagine that space would have a reason to ever reach 135 degrees on it's own, be it the coach is in storage, parked in the sun or while fridge is running.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #67

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
Lawyers spend years and millions hoping for a case like this. No one ever profits but the lawyers. I can't tell you how many $2.00 checks I've gotten while the lawyers make millions. I know it's a business. But they make money on others losses and pain. Not a very good fair system.
+1

Laws are WRITTEN by lawyers, primarily for the benefit of lawyers. I always say, the minute you get a lawyer involved, no one will win (except the lawyer).
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #68

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
+1

Laws are WRITTEN by lawyers, primarily for the benefit of lawyers. I always say, the minute you get a lawyer involved, no one will win (except the lawyer).

There are thousands, possibly tens of thousands, of people who didn't get a lawyer involved when their Norcold refrigerator cooling unit became defective. Instead those people called Norcold. And if you read the threads on this forum, and the many other RV related forums about the Norcold failures and fires, you will notice the one common statement from virtually all is that Norcold walked away from them and their problems and told them it wasn't Norcold's responsiblity. That is what they did to me!

This problem isn't an issue of improper use or maintenance by the owners. It is as a direct result of a design flaw in the cooling unit, which for whatever reason Norcold has been unable or unwilling to fix. Instead, they have knowingly continued to manufacturer and sell that defective design to unknowing and unsuspecting RV owners for the last 12 plus years.

The fact that lawyers are now involved is not the result of these people wanting to go out and sue somebody! It is as a direct result of a corporation failing to live up to its obligations to its customers. These problems can not be resolved using individual litigation and that is why there is such a thing as a class action lawsuit so that individuals can band together as a "class" of similarly situated and affected parties in order to bring about a resolution of the problem.

Had Norcold chosen to act in a responsible manner there never would have been need for such litigation. However it has proven corporately more expedient to deny the problem and leave several hundred thousand people in danger of having their RV's catch on fire than it has been to address and resolve the problems. I'll bet you that any and all of the people involved in this litigation would much prererred to have simply had a working refrigerator that they didn't have to take to a service center time after time (after time, after time) to have defective recall kits installed, or lose hundreds of dollars worth of food, or incurr thousands of dollars worth of repairs, or have their coach (and possibly house, RV barn, etc...) burn to the ground.

Lawyers aren't involved in this matter because Norcold has acted responsibly for the last 12 years! Just the opposite is true!
Old 02-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #69

Maybe so, but I wish there was a better way. I feel sorry for the people that lost there motor homes. But, No one is going to win now except the lawyers. The people that lost there motor homes will not get enough in the settlement to make any difference to them. In my opinion maybe I'm wrong we'll see in about 10 years.

Tags
norcold