Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2014, 12:37 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Norcold settlement

I read that Norcold has agreed to settle a class-action lawsuit in which they will pay 33 million dollars to RV owners. Does anyone know how to participate in that settlement?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #2

If you aren't one of the lawyers, you'll get less than a pocket full of change at best.
cj00ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:57 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Richard- Dr4film posted a thread about this
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:16 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/norco...ed-219489.html

Joe,

I believe everyone that falls within the time-frame or model is entitled to a settlement.

However, my unit was made sometime in the summer of 2001 as the coach was delivered to the original owners in September of 2001.

That is well before January 2002 date when they start covering the 1200 models.

The other class action suit that is still pending is for people who have actually had a fire from the Norcold 12XX fridge.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:44 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

All Norcold "owners of record" will be notified with a place to go to either agree or "opt out", but if you bought the RV second hand there may be no record anywhere with your name and address. There will probably be some general advertising and a website where you can present some evidence that you doi indeed own one of the affected models.

I urge people to Opt Out, since the settlement (other than about $8M to the law firm) can't be more than chump change, maybe $20 each if you are lucky (depends on how many sign up). In exchange you will be giving up the right to make any future claims against Norcold. That doesn't sound like a good deal to me! Of course, your future property losses would still be covered by your own insurance, but that's just on the fire damage to the RV.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:51 PM   #6

Yep..you'll get 25 cents out of it.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:13 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I read last week that the lawyers will get $8.1 million of the $33 million and all other affected units / owners will share in the balance. Their estimate was about $43.00 each....Can't wait to put in for that. Should get me 10 gallons of diesel for winter.
Sounds about right.

Tim Brunkow
2003 Monaco Executive.
2006 Wrangler Rubicon LJ Toad.
NotCold still ticking....for now.
griztim76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:55 AM   #8

Why is the Gov allowing these dangerous fridges to keep being made? Look at all the laws governing car safety, laws governing water quality, septic systems - it makes no sense.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:13 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I look at it differently. Rather than relying on a government mandate, I prefer to speak with my dollars. Its simple, refuse to buy an RV with a nor cold fridge. The manufacturers will quickly get the message. Norcold needs to redesign (which I assume they already have) and then spend some of their money on an ad campaign to bring back trust in their brand.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:13 AM   #10
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
I look at it differently. Rather than relying on a government mandate, I prefer to speak with my dollars. Its simple, refuse to buy an RV with a nor cold fridge. The manufacturers will quickly get the message. Norcold needs to redesign (which I assume they already have) and then spend some of their money on an ad campaign to bring back trust in their brand.
X2

We will never own another RV with a Norcold. In fact, we will probably never own another RV with any kind of RV refrigerator. It's strictly residential for us from now on.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:15 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
X2

We will never own another RV with a Norcold. In fact, we will probably never own another RV with any kind of RV refrigerator. It's strictly residential for us from now on.

Ditto

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:02 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post

X2

X-4

Same here!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:38 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Why is the Gov allowing these dangerous fridges to keep being made?
Norcold has performed a government-monitored safety recall that supposedly fixes the problem. New production fridges include the fix right from the factory. Many knowledgeable people don't believe the "fix" is adequate to resolve the problem, but until there are more dangerous failures on fridges that already have the fix installed, it's just a matter of opinion. So far, I personally know of one case where a fixed Norcold 1200 failed and caught fire (coach was destroyed but occupants escaped).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Norcold has performed a government-monitored safety recall that supposedly fixes the problem. New production fridges include the fix right from the factory. Many knowledgeable people don't believe the "fix" is adequate to resolve the problem, but until there are more dangerous failures on fridges that already have the fix installed, it's just a matter of opinion. So far, I personally know of one case where a fixed Norcold 1200 failed and caught fire (coach was destroyed but occupants escaped).
Its really not a fix. Its a device that shuts off power to the refer if it fails. It doesnt fix anything.

Tags
norcold