Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2019, 07:56 AM   #1

North Carolina question ???

My wife and I are currently FLORIDA residence and own a class A motorhome.
We are considering buying a 2nd residence in North Carolina as a summertime place.
I'm told there is a annual property tax on your motorhome if you register it in NC.
QUESTION is .......if we don't register it in NC and maintain FLORIDA registration and insurance will we be subject to that TAX ??
Any other explanation of that NC tax would be appreciated............THANKS
Belladog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2019, 08:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladog View Post
My wife and I are currently FLORIDA residence and own a class A motorhome.
We are considering buying a 2nd residence in North Carolina as a summertime place.
I'm told there is a annual property tax on your motorhome if you register it in NC.
QUESTION is .......if we don't register it in NC and maintain FLORIDA registration and insurance will we be subject to that TAX ??
Any other explanation of that NC tax would be appreciated............THANKS
You wouldn’t pay taxes on it being FL residents. They charge you based on their assessment of your vehicle.
When you purchase new you pay 3% tax on vehicles (at least cars/trucks) then a percent of their claimed value per year at registration.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:35 AM   #3

Thanks.........do you know if there is a LIMIT on the time we can spend in NC with the coach on our property ?? would that be an issue ???
Belladog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:50 AM   #4

First: you can not be a "resident" of two states. If the RV is in NC on a temporary basis each year and you are a permanent resident of FL, you do not have to register it in NC. If it is here on a permanent basis (even if you maintain FL as your permanent residence), you need to go to DMV and tag it in NC. You should maintain your driver's license in the state of your permanent residence. You will not have to pay property tax again, since you paid it in FL.. If they tell you that you do, go to different office. Some DMV folks don't know the law.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
You will not have to pay property tax again, since you paid it in FL.. If they tell you that you do, go to different office. Some DMV folks don't know the law.
When we moved to NC we had to pay a title transfer fee then a few months later on my birthday I had to pay the PPT. They were about equal. I was a bit bitter as I’d already paid 7% tax on it to Ohio, then 3% to NC then a couple years of 3% again. Then we moved to FL and we had to pay another transfer.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
When we moved to NC we had to pay a title transfer fee then a few months later on my birthday I had to pay the PPT. They were about equal. I was a bit bitter as I’d already paid 7% tax on it to Ohio, then 3% to NC then a couple years of 3% again. Then we moved to FL and we had to pay another transfer.
You are correct. I should have said that you will not have to pay SALES TAX again. NC will get you for property tax.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:42 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

As long as you maintain your Florida residency and your vehicles are titled and tagged there, you are fine. The problem wouldn't arise unless it became evident you were actually residing in NC and only using Florida as a sort of tax shelter. That might be considered tax fraud. Residency is a complicated question and not one that can be determined here based on a few simple parameters. Simply owning property used part time probably doesn't make you liable for NC taxing, but if you begin to do other things that residents do, e.g. work, use NC based medical insurance, keep bank accounts, etc, then you look more and more like an NC resident with a winter home in Florida.

Note that NC also has an income tax that could be assessed if you met NC residency conditions. I suggest you consult an NC tax accountant/lawyer about your particular situation.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:08 PM   #8

I think you have to become a North Carolina resident after 183 days (approx. 6m).
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:15 PM   #9

Vehicle ownership is reported to the county tax assessor by DMV. If it isn't registered and no one questions it to the county and you maintain a legal residence in another state you will never hear anything about it.