Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #127

Winnebago Owners Club
I would recommend the Bonanza Gold RV park to anyone going to Dawson City. The folks there are superb.

We stayed there last week and the day we were going to leave for the Top of the World I became ill. Gail Hendley, the owner, got me to the clinic in town and when she learned I was going to be airlifted to Whitehorse she sent a driver back to get my father in law. Neither he nor my wife can drive due to medical conditions.

The space we were in was needed for a caravan so her staff broke everything down, repositioned the rig to another space and rehooked. They checked on my family several times a day, arranged phone calls with the hospital in Whitehorse and drove them to town for groceries when needed. When I was released and flew back someone was at the airport waiting for me.

Needless to say I am a big fan of theirs.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #128

Winnebago Owners Club
Hoghead, Sure am glad to hear you have recovered.
You can't beat that kind of customer service. This goes beyond customer service & speaks of what nice caring people they are. Hope all goes well with the rest of your trip.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:50 AM   #129

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
first i hope your filling better. we stayed at bonanza gold nice park right down the road from clam # 6. as every body said top of world hwy after boader rough.over 5 hours to chicken got passed a lot but we drive slow.setting her at gold camp.28$ with elec.today to tok.have to get fuel in tok any good suggestion . we were told that the alaska railway from anchorage was close any info ?
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #130

Winnebago Owners Club
We started to fuel in Tok at the RV Village station but you couldn't read the meters so we went up the road to Delta Jct. The Alaska Railroad was operating between Fairbanks and Anchorage as of yesterday.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #131

Monaco Owners Club
Hwy 3 (George Parks)from Denali to Anchorage is pretty smooth and Hwy 1(Sterling) is good from Anchorage all the way into Homer. We are in Soldotna now and staying in a small but excellent Klondike RV Park on Funny River Rd. in case someone plans a stay here. Two nights in a row, mother moose and calf visited for a hour or so trimming the CG shrubbery. It's on to Seward tomorrow and all the seafood I can stuff in my face! Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #132

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
we filled up in tok north of town at a tecaso northern fuel they have a free car wash had to wait awhile but was good to give mh a bath. from tok anchorage not bad little construct flag man. woop de does out of glennall.now setting at wallmart in wasilla. has no overnight parking sign went in side and ask they said one night is fine.
safe travles bob linda & missy
Old 07-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #133

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
went on the 26 glacier cruise yesterday . i thought it was great sunny day.whitter was cool had to go through a tunnel on the half hour goes to town and on hour goes out of town.heading to homer silver salmon starting to come in. cooked some spot shirmp got them at 10th & m fish market man said they would be the best i've ever eat he was right. safe travels bob,linda & missy
Old 07-22-2011, 07:59 AM   #134

I'm watching this forum very carefully.
Thanks for all the info & keep it coming.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #135

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
down in homer spit.heritade rv park full hook up 78$ a cross the road little rv park 10 sites or so all water frount just have 30 amp no water or dump 25 $.nice little town.
safe travles bob,linda & missy
Old 07-22-2011, 11:18 PM   #136
ccc

Big but on that little park on the spit that is "cheap" by Homer standards, that one that we saw ONLY motor homes, as in C class and truck campers could get in NO turn around. We stayed at the cg on the top of the hill behind the gas station, more reasonable price, dont recall now, still overlooking the water just real high up!

Nothing is cheap in Homer.

We took pictures of the DP that went over the side on the Top of the World road, a real mess, total destroyed how anyone came out alive I dont know. One woman air lifetd out but I hear doing fine. He dodged a pot hole.

Oh, I spoke to several locals about the road, they do NOT want it paved, would ruin the Alaska Experience.
OK.
Again, do NOT pass up BOUNDERY on the road a great stop.
CCC

Evergreen RV Owners Group
ccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:31 AM   #137

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
for sure nothing cheep here.theres a 40' in here but like us he's going to back out.best deal in spit when u come in theres a co-op agriculture center oysters good price.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:55 AM   #138

Drove from Denali National Park to Fairbanks today. The first 15 miles the road has a lot of frost heaves, after that the road is good. Staying at the Riverview RV Park, nice pull thru with good wifi and cable tv. The ride in to Fairbanks is easy and only 15 minutes to Wal Mart. Got fuel(diesel) for 4.22 a gallon, the cheapest in a while. Just paid 4.60 in Healy yesterday. Campground is not full and we really didn't see that many rver's on the road today and wonder where everyone is. We were told by people who have been here before that it was one rv after another on the road, we aren't seeing that. I usually ask office staff if they are seeing less tourist and most say this year is not as good as last year and last year was slow. The trip is going great and we are really enjoying being in Alaska. I hope everyone can do a trip to Alaska.
mga60tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #139

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
good to here were heading that way.was down in homer got busy for the weekend but lots of rv sites.tryed to stay around kenai but the silvers are coming in every thing full for weekend.came to portage valley rv park as your going to whittier 39 $ anight just 30 amp ,dump , can fill up water . fuel in anchorage was 4.27 - 4.29.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:59 PM   #140

Monaco Owners Club
We are back in Tok resting up a bit. While passing though Anchorage, we found some cheap $3.87 unleaded. Not bad for Alaska.

While we were staying in Soldotna, we made a day trip into Homer(and the Spit)...beautiful trip and we enjoyed the day there. Most roads since then have been pretty good...Homer back to Soldotna, Seward, Anchorage, Palmer to Glennallen. Some heavy road construction from Glennallen to Tok on the Tok Cutoff(22 miles of it, north of Glennallen)...nothing really bumpy but sure was dirty with the spraying of water to keep the dust down. Personally, I'll take the dust over a slurry of MUD any day! There is a caravan here now and they are COVERED UP with a layer of sprayed on mud. We sat watching them come in...guessing what color the toads were. (doesn't take much to entertain us)

BTW, the Matanuska Glacier is something to see from the Glenn Hwy. (Palmer to Glennallen) and one can see how much of the glacier has been lost to...well, whatever one believes the cause).

Had the oil changed here in Tok by Tok RV...knowledgeable owner and if you need anything mechanical while here, he's the go to guy. Now the plan is to take our time(maybe 200 miles a day) and head South. Sure hope the Canadians have had a chance to work on the Alaska Hwy from the border into Destruction Bay as I've heard it's notoriously rough. On the way south, we must stop in Stewart and make the crossing (toad) into Hyder and hopefully see some grizzles feeding on the salmon. We've seen but one grizzly in the wild. Every place we been advised to go, the bears have not cooperated...drat! Then on south, taking our time and stopping when ever there is something we find interesting. We'll take the Cassiar and probably re-enter the US at Sumas. WA., OR. and CA are on the list before heading East. Safe travels... Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote