Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #29
ccc

Arrived in Canada this am at the Lethbridge crossing, took a full two minutes to clear and we were on our way. By the way a good stop short of the border north bound is Shelby, Montana, a city CG at $18 per day very nice. It is just passed a commercial CG on the way in, commercial CG on right and just past there on left is city CG.

We spoke to Verizon and for $20 per month now have Canada but NO CONTRACT so we can cancel on a monthly basis.

In Lethbridge in a PASSPORT AMERICA cg abt ten minutes from town, Bridgeview CG,
large with lots of space.

Evergreen RV Owners Group
ccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Got to Hope, BC today, north of Seattle it started to rain and is raining hard now at 5 pm uhh. Looks like a couple days in the rain then maybe some breaks. Crossing the border was a 10 min job and if it were not for paying the $25 gun fee I don't think we would have been held up at all. Was only asked about fresh fuit and veggies.

LEN
Old 05-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Crossing the border was a 10 min job and if it were not for paying the $25 gun fee I don't think we would have been held up at all. Was only asked about fresh fuit and veggies.

LEN
Len, did you have your forms (in triplicate) before you entered or did you receive and fill out the forms at crossing? I'll be shipping one from Bonner's Ferry to Tok or Chicken and carrying a standard 12 gage into Canada. Thanks, Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:45 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
I did the forms from a down loaded PDF(do a seach on guns into Canada to find the form). I had several copies but needed only one. Found out that if you get back to Canada within 60 days there is only the one $25 fee for both ways instead of each way. Unless the weapon is a pistol It would be cheaper too just pay the $25 for the second rather than shipping and a FFL fee.

LEN
Old 05-17-2011, 06:09 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Unless the weapon is a pistol It would be cheaper too just pay the $25 for the second rather than shipping and a FFL fee.

LEN
Thanks LEN, yeah, I'll have to ship. Bob

Old 05-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #34

Hi Tom,
We should be in Banff/Jasper around the 2-5th of June. We are traveling in a Dark Green Silverado pulling a Everest 5th wheel and a big orange maine coon cat!
Hope to run into on the way north. Safe travels.
love2rvtravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #35

We recently toured the Winnebago factory and they have a tour company that buys about 200 Class C's per year and get RV'er to deliver them. You pay $750 plus your gas, return flight home and a plane ticket to MN to the factory. We saw one of them yesterday in Roosevelt National Park. They have 11 days to get there (3900 miles). This might be a way for somebody to make the trip. The RV's are all brand new. I am told they never have a problem in getting people to do it.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
We recently toured the Winnebago factory and they have a tour company that buys about 200 Class C's per year and get RV'er to deliver them. You pay $750 plus your gas, return flight home and a plane ticket to MN to the factory. We saw one of them yesterday in Roosevelt National Park. They have 11 days to get there (3900 miles). This might be a way for somebody to make the trip. The RV's are all brand new. I am told they never have a problem in getting people to do it.
Holly cow! Let's see...I pay the tour company(or Winnie) $750.00 up front, and at my own expense, jet to Winnie's factory - pick up the MH, then I pay for all the gas to deliver their Class C 3900 miles(3900 div. by 9mpg ~ 434 gals. X $4 per = $1,736.00)and have to drive 355 miles(most likely 6 - 7 hrs. a day of driving) every day for 11 days. Once I've delivered, I have to pay for another plane ticket home so I can tell all my friends what a horse's patootie I've been for being sucked into a great scam to other's benefit...sounds like a DEAL to me.. if you're a TOUR COMPANY! Not counting CG fees, food and ordinary RV stuff we all need to travel, it sure sounds like a very expensive 11 day trip. One would be better served taking a lavish cruise to Alaska via the inside passage rather than endure this kind of punishment.

Anyone that's ever driven any MH 355 miles in a day will tell you, "that's not RVing, that's a JOB"! I've never had to pay an employer for the privilege of working for them and probably never will. JMO...

At any rate, it would be interesting to know how many RV'ers do repeat deliveries. Who ever came up with this idea is a GENIUS! Bob

Old 05-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #37

The guy that I talked to at Roosevelt National; park said they have not trouble doing it and some people have done it many times. This guy told us they rented it for an extra week and had 18 days to get there. It might be great for somebody that didn't have an RV, but wanted to RV Alaska. We have been in 47 states now (soon to be 48) and I have crossed Alaska and (HI) off my list because of the total distance and gas prices. I would think it would be cheaper to fly there and rent an RV for a month. If you want to see a photo of some of the 180 ready to go to Alaska with the license plates already on them click the link below and scroll down.

winnyfactorytour
Old 05-17-2011, 10:48 PM   #38

Wow you are going to have a wonderful trip. Wish I was able to accompany you. Do put on the pics after you come back!! See you soon
donald.bradl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:09 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Winnebago hires contract drivers to deliver their rigs all over the states. Used to be employees but no longer. The drivers make enough to pay the bills see the country and do stand in line for the job, so must be okay. The tour company sounds like rip off city.

Went with WIT to AK in 2002, best time and money I have ever spent.

As for fishing tackle, can get into some pretty big fish.

Don, WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:54 AM   #40

Talking Good Proving trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
Holly cow! Let's see...I pay the tour company(or Winnie) $750.00 up front, and at my own expense, jet to Winnie's factory - pick up the MH, then I pay for all the gas to deliver their Class C 3900 miles(3900 div. by 9mpg ~ 434 gals. X $4 per = $1,736.00)and have to drive 355 miles(most likely 6 - 7 hrs. a day of driving) every day for 11 days. Once I've delivered, I have to pay for another plane ticket home so I can tell all my friends what a horse's patootie I've been for being sucked into a great scam to other's benefit...sounds like a DEAL to me.. if you're a TOUR COMPANY! Not counting CG fees, food and ordinary RV stuff we all need to travel, it sure sounds like a very expensive 11 day trip. One would be better served taking a lavish cruise to Alaska via the inside passage rather than endure this kind of punishment.

Anyone that's ever driven any MH 355 miles in a day will tell you, "that's not RVing, that's a JOB"! I've never had to pay an employer for the privilege of working for them and probably never will. JMO...

At any rate, it would be interesting to know how many RV'ers do repeat deliveries. Who ever came up with this idea is a GENIUS! Bob
We did this in 2006. We had the MH for 21 days. It was our first time ever driving a RV. We were contemplating buying a RV and we figured this was an inexpensive way to see if we liked traveling by RV.

We liked it so much we bought a 40' 2007 Fleetwood and are leaving to go back to Alaska in 2 weeks and spend the summer chasing salmon.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:15 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2rvtravel View Post
Hi Tom,
We should be in Banff/Jasper around the 2-5th of June. We are traveling in a Dark Green Silverado pulling a Everest 5th wheel and a big orange maine coon cat!
Hope to run into on the way north. Safe travels.
Hi, we will be driving a white silverado, pulling a Wildcat 5th wheel with a motorcycle and bicycles on the back. I am sure I am the only one with a Yamaha TW 200 on the back) Hope to see you.

Tom
mga60tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:26 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Nearing Prince George. Anyone else around? Fuel last stop 4.69 a gallon Diesel cheaper than gas 124.9 131.9 Holiday Rambler 40' with Toy 4-runner on a trailer.

LEN