Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2011, 05:27 PM   #43
ccc

We just spent several days in Banff and Jasper National Parks, fantastic.
I find them much better equipt than US parks in the Bad Lands and that area.
The Class C's were like gnats, all over the place! In one park the VAST MAJORITY were Class C's and most of those were rentals.
From the number of units, later in the season reservations would probably be in order.

CCC

Evergreen RV Owners Group
ccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch and Release View Post
We did this in 2006. We had the MH for 21 days. It was our first time ever driving a RV. We were contemplating buying a RV and we figured this was an inexpensive way to see if we liked traveling by RV.

We liked it so much we bought a 40' 2007 Fleetwood and are leaving to go back to Alaska in 2 weeks and spend the summer chasing salmon.
Ok, I really do get it as a way to RV Alaska and to see if one enjoys the RV experience. It just seems to me that, especially with the $750 up front and the price of fuel being what it is, I think there are better and cheaper alternatives to see if the experience suits you. I would think renting a RV AFTER traveling to Alaska would be less stressful than pushing 3900 miles (with the fuel costs additional) in such a short time frame.
Then there's insurance cost issues and stocking a bare bones new RV with all the goodies one needs to take advantage of the RV's amenities...we all know that can be pretty expensive as well.
At any rate, we are headed that way and if the Brink's truck (with the fuel money) can keep up, we might see ya on Alaska's roadways. Safe travels and enjoy the fishing...Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #45

They have a waiting list and some folks have done it many times.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #46

You both are way ahead of us. We are still home, leaving Thursday. Plan to be in Jasper June 2. Will be in Denali June 23-28. Anyone camping then at Teklanika?
love2rvtravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Got to Dawson city, will be here for three nights. Bonanza gold RV park. Last 100 miles were the ruffest SLOW DOWN.

LEN
Old 05-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
thanks for info were leaving mich june 17 no reservations i hope it works.
safe travels bob'linda & missy
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:00 PM   #49

Len,
Let us know how the Taylor highway is from Dawson City to TOK. We are pulling a 30 ft 5th wheel and I am worried about the gravel road.
Is 3 days good for Dawson City?
Old 05-23-2011, 10:56 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Taking a trip to Alaska has been a dream of my husbands & I for years. My husband is getting out of the Marine Corps at the end of July and plan on heading to Alaska the first week of Aug. We are a young couple in our early 30's with 2 boys age 10 & 7 which we plan on home schooling them, or as they say "Road Schooling" =) Maybe some of you will still be up there by the time we come rolling around, you guys all have a safe trip. =)
USMC_Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Three days should do it in Dawson City. The Bonanza RV park seems to be about the best and priced at $30 a day with cable and WIFI. Talking with the locals they are saying the Top of the World hyway is the best in years. To USMC_Wife Starting north in Aug would not be my thing, having hunted BC in Sept you could hit Major snow and lots of weather. If its a quick road trip just a drive OK but any long term I would do Southern BC, MAN there is a lot to see for a month or so and when the colors start turning head south for warmer temps.

LEN
Old 05-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the tip Olylen, this is our only chance to see Alaska, this soon that is. My husband gets out of the Marine Corps at the end of July, and thats with him getting a 3 month early out. This is the perfect time to take our dream trip, and although I'd rather be leaving now in May, we got to wait. I have searched many Alaska forums that say some travel in the beginning half of the summer & the ending half. Would love to stay for a few months but will take what we can get, even if it's to stay a month...after all, it's the experience of traveling through Canada to Alaska thats an adventure in of itself as well. =) Can't wait 2 more months and we'll be on our way, happy travels everyone.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #53
ccc

We took another scenic route the last few days through Houston ,BC, Stewart and , TA DA, Hyder, Alaska. Hyder is immediately up against Stewart, BC we were there only a few minutes and came back into BC. It is on the coast so there was the Pacific. Google it, not much there at all! Another border crossing, NO US customs only Canadian, took just a couple of minutes to clear back into Canada.
What a magnificent drive, outstanding. Mountains, streams, snow forests the works. Today we did a 2.5 mile 9 percent grade, climbing!! The rig never missed a beat.
We are in a camp ground just outside of Iskut, BC and are the ONLY unit here, we are alone. Beautiful spot right on a river and in the shadow of snow covered mountains. We are just early for the season.
Oh yes, almost forgot, on our way to Stewart, within the span of 2 hrs or so we saw and photographed TEN bears, from the truck.
These two detours from the accepted route, is well worth the travel time, that is through the two National Parks at Banff and Jasper and then to Stewart. A grand route. Beautiful scenery and roads, wish that Louiisiana roads were half so well maintained as these.
CCC and THE WIFE

Old 05-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
CCC, I am sooo jealous right now HAHAHA...You keep posting so I can live vicariously through you until the end of July when were hitting the road up North. Love to hear these stories, I'm so excited! I am a bit concerned with the 9% grade, ah well...can't live life with fears! =) Seems you are having a blast, best of luck to you and the family!
Old 05-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #55

Thanks for the info Len. Let us know how the Top of the world highway is. Which way are you making the loop? North toward Fairbanks or toward southwest-Valdez first?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:46 PM   #56
ccc

AAAHHHHHH
Broke the $6/gal on gas today, a really rural station that had a skid mounted gas dispensing unit all self contained this in the very rural Cassiar Hwy.

Food aint cheap either!!!
But we are having fun.

The drive up the balance of the Cassiar Hwy was really scenic, mountains, valleys, 8% grades up and down.
Several 18 wheelers passed us!
Some beautiful lakes, streams, and waterfalls even a couple of bears and an elk.
I am very satisfied with the condition of all of BC Highways.
4,900 miles from home as we arrived in the YUKON Territory, love the sound of that, seeking Sergeant Preston.
The adventure continues.
Is anyone familiar with the road between Chicken and Tok? Part of it appears to be gravel how many miles/kilometers is gravel?
CCC