Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2007, 03:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally posted by ET:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In 2003, an automotive writer challenged on his web site for anyone to provide any source on Internet that had proof of the negative effects of using drinking water. He wouldn't allow statement like "I've used it for 40 years and no problems" He wanted real research based proof. Short story - he never got any.

Automotive writer and not an Engineer? Since he didn't get any proof, please post his name so we can view this short story and maybe help him out using google. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just go ahead and do it !!!!! Let's see what you find.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2007, 03:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally posted by ecker:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ET:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In 2003, an automotive writer challenged on his web site for anyone to provide any source on Internet that had proof of the negative effects of using drinking water. He wouldn't allow statement like "I've used it for 40 years and no problems" He wanted real research based proof. Short story - he never got any.

Automotive writer and not an Engineer? Since he didn't get any proof, please post his name so we can view this short story and maybe help him out using google. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just go ahead and do it !!!!! Let's see what you find. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I searched for the article and found it but my memory after 4 yrs may have been off on his career. His site is titled MGA Guru

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/universal/ba102.htm
Old 12-21-2007, 04:29 AM   #17

Don't you just love RV religion?

Folks, obviously, distilled will induce fewer contaminates, but a couple top-offs with tap as my post said won't really hurt anything. Geeze...

I was just happy to think that the North Trail bashing over this trivial event would stop... I guess it did!

I wonder if North Trail fills tires with air on tap or if they use distilled nitrogen???

Oppss.. I did it again!!

Happy Holidays!!!!
Old 12-21-2007, 04:49 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Yea, tap water and mineral oil.

-Tom

Old 12-21-2007, 04:56 AM   #19

It is OK that there are 2 camps on this. It should be up to the individual as to how they want to maintain their gear and to have expectations for service providers to follow the manufacturer's recommendations.
No need for some to be sarcastic. By the way, who made you the experts????
Old 12-21-2007, 05:34 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by RVDude:
Folks, obviously, distilled will induce fewer contaminates, but a couple top-offs with tap as my post said won't really hurt anything.
Happy Holidays!!!!
Depends on the mineral content of the tap water.

Ever flush a water heater??

-Tom

Old 12-21-2007, 05:43 AM   #21

The biggest complaint on RV forums is about dying batteries and keeping them charged. Last time I checked at Wal*Mart they had distilled water for 64 cents a gallon. Why would a RV owner with expensive batteries want to use tap water to save a few pennies?
Old 12-21-2007, 06:19 AM   #22

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Dav5942,

A) Pex pipe doesn't corrode.

B) I only use it for drinking water and not the whole coach.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:01 AM   #23
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by MBnKen:
By the way, who made you the experts????
Ladies and germs, let's try and remember the mission statement of iRV2 when we're exchanging our views and passing information....

As several have said, there are indeed many schools of thought from everyone's own point of view.
I have no problem with the course of this thread continuing, as long as we can keep the personal "references" out of it.

THANKS!

Bob
Old 12-21-2007, 07:30 AM   #24

Quote:
Folks, obviously, distilled will induce fewer contaminates, but a couple top-offs with tap as my post said won't really hurt anything. Geeze...

I was just happy to think that the North Trail bashing over this trivial event would stop... I guess it did!

I wonder if North Trail fills tires with air on tap or if they use distilled nitrogen???
Bob,
The above is clearly a ball busting and sarcastic post....but nothing was said by the moderators or you. Like I said, we should be able to share our thoughts and opinions on this forum without the sarcasm. I read this forum to get ideas on technical matters but not to have various thoughts ridiculed.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:43 AM   #25
ET

I'd like to thank GaryKD for taking his personal time to resolve an issue that a few RV'rs had about adding Tap Water as opposed to adding Distilled Water.

Some here might think that it's only for battery failure issues that nearly ALL battery manufactures recommend Distilled Water. This isn't the case. It's actually to make sure that one gets the maximum life and performance of the battery they purchased. Tap water is also going to be different from one city or state to another so it's also a safer measure to use the purest of waters such as distilled. Unless it was an emergency I don't think anyone here would use well water would they?

Since ecker wanted me to show articles about why not to use tap water, I've listed three links below, (tap water's minerals are the reason.) Similar articles are available, just Google. By the way, the article/web page ecker was referring to was based on car batteries, not deep cycle. Here is a paragraph from the article:

Quote:
To get you started on the right foot, here are some web references for such information. Keep in mind that deep cycle batteries are much different than car batteries. In operation deep cycle batteries regularly process relatively large amounts of water, as much as a gallon per cell per year in some cases. Car batteries are generally kept near full charge, and their water usage may be measured in ounces per year. Please let us stick to discussion of car batteries.
As far and I'm concerned I'll follow the majority on using Distilled over Tap Water, (my right - my opinion.) Other then that, to each his own...

One other thing:

Engineers use creativity, technology, and scientific knowledge to solve practical problems.

The term "Shadetree Mechanic" is a general term for people who enjoy working on automobiles/RV's in their spare time, usually in their own driveway, taking up basic DIY upgrades as well as basic maintenance.

I'm both!

Merry Christmas Everyone

Battery Basics

Why Is Distilled Water Best

Traditional Lead Acid Battery Performance Shortcomings
Old 12-21-2007, 09:19 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Everyone has good input to a good discussion lets try to keep it civil, thank you.
I'm adding this post to the Quick Tips Topic for future members.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
Old 12-21-2007, 10:11 AM   #27
Administrator Emeritus

Ken, I apologize if it appears I singled you out, I didn't read every page of the thread and only caught your reply....
Whether or not I missed Jeff's sarcastic reply, I do feel it was proper to have made mention of yours and as such I'm thinking we can move forward...

Inasmuch as there have been many different posts expressing just about every idea possible with respect to what we use in batteries and given the nature of this discussion to have evolved into a "my way or the highway" scenario I feel it's probably a good time to close the discussion.
There are indeed a good many posts from which someone can gain a varied amount of knowledge.
Closed Thread