Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2019, 10:47 AM   #1

Not again!

3 days ago I had our RV repair place add 3.5 pounds of propane to the tank. Went out this morning to fire up furnace,so I turn valve on tank to open and liquid came shooting out around the knob I was turning. So I closed it, and opened it again, all the way this time and it went to a drip. Did they over fill it? What's going on?
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2019, 10:53 AM   #2

The stem seal maybe going. Or way over filled.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:03 AM   #3

3.5? that's not very much, Is it a regular tank like a bbq uses?
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
3.5? that's not very much, Is it a regular tank like a bbq uses?
It's mounted from the factory to the RV, it's a 2013 ACE 30.1 not old in my eyes, and we used gas last fall. Did go out again and now no drip at all. Hum
Old 01-07-2019, 11:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwit View Post
The stem seal maybe going. Or way over filled.
I've been told you can't overfill the tanks, but I did go out again and it's not dripping at All now. I'll get some soapy water and look for bubbles, I hope it's ok now... thanks
Old 01-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #6

be safe. use all the fuel then get tank inspected.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:39 AM   #7

Is it a fixed tank or a pair of removable tanks? Some coaches can go either way. If it's a pair of removable tanks, use them up then trade them in for a refill/new tank.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:53 AM   #8

Propane doesn't drip !

It turns to gas at -40 degrees. If liquid propane leaked, you would only see a very cold vapor cloud.

Had you hosed down the tank and valve since it was last turned off ?

Water may have gotten in behind a bad stem seal. As you opened the valve, a slight gas leak would push it out. Once you backseat the valve, ( open it all the way ) the valve seals up.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:54 AM   #9

Liquid propane dripping from the valve? Time to replace that one.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post
Liquid propane dripping from the valve? Time to replace that one.
It was my understanding that the liguid propane turns into a gas before it gets to your appliances.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickuc View Post
It was my understanding that the liguid propane turns into a gas before it gets to your appliances.
I hope so liquid expands 270 times will make a wild pilot lite! also 3.5 lbs did they weight the motorhome?
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:26 AM   #12

Not to argue, but propane comes in both vapor and liquid form. The liquid form in my RV is liquid, and do to the fact it's in a pressured tank it stays in liquid form until you open on off valve then it turns into vapor. That's why I was concerned it leaked out in liquid form from the valve, after 3 times opening and shutting valve it stopped. The tank was filled three days ago and current temps here are in the teens n twenty's at dawn, I'm hoping all this is the reason it happened. But I want to thank YOU for your help.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:27 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Propane turns from a liquid to a gas at -40 degrees. As a fireman we responded to a call with a propane tanker on its side. There was a cracked fitting an propane vapor was escaping. I had my firefighter spray a fine mist on the leak. The water froze and stopped the leak. The tanker company responded with another unit and transferred the liquid propane to another tanker.
960 watts of solar, 440 Amp hours AGM batteries
KCFDCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickuc View Post
Not to argue, but propane comes in both vapor and liquid form. The liquid form in my RV is liquid, and do to the fact it's in a pressured tank it stays in liquid form until you open on off valve then it turns into vapor. That's why I was concerned it leaked out in liquid form from the valve, after 3 times opening and shutting valve it stopped. The tank was filled three days ago and current temps here are in the teens n twenty's at dawn, I'm hoping all this is the reason it happened. But I want to thank YOU for your help.
What is actually dispensed into your tank is LPG. Liquefied Petroleum Gas.

All of what we call propane is LPG. It liqufies under pressure so that you can get a useful amount in a tank. A gallon of LPG will make 270 gallons of vaporized gas.

When it is released to the atmosphere, it instantly turns to gas. Thats because its boiling or vaporization point is ( minus ) - 40 degrees. If its that cold it just sits in the tank.

I'm sorry but you did not see propane dripping.

Here is a link explaining it all.

http://www.grillnpropane.com/html/properties.html
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote