Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #43

The homeowner association atually tried to convince the homeowners that the association owned that the land our homes were built on.
I got a good laugh over that one.
The homeowner association now is getting sued by a property owner thats even dumber than they are.
This property owner lives about a quart mile from our subdivision (down hill from us).
She has a pond on her property and claims that its filling up with dirt that comming from our sudivision. (the city has storm drains installed in our subdivision) everything goes down the drain to the bay.

I will never never never move in a home that has a home owner association again.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #44

When I bought my current house I told the real estate agent," no Homeowners association, no special studies zone, no flood zone, no zone of any kind. 5 years later the county placed my home in a flood zone and my insurance was 650$ a year more then before. On calling the county they said that the area I lived in had never before been mapped. After mapping I was placed in a 3" sheet flooding zone. My mortgage co called and wanted another insurance policy placed for flood insurance. I told them to eat my shorts. After many calls and the vice president of the mortgage co called and politely told he I had to buy additional insurance but that in rare cases they would live with a one time exception. After further conversation I was indeed that one case. 10 years later the house was removed from the flood zone so I saved 6500$ over those 10 years. I pitched such a fuss they walked away from the insurance. Maybe I was just lucky.
But really folks, why would anyone buy a property that had all kinds of restrictions on its use? That's just stupid when there are properties of every kind available. That said, I finally read the restrictions on my own deed. Interestingly, it explicitly states no person of Arab descent is allowed on the property. Too bad I'm not Arabic.
-Paul R. Haller-

Old 05-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #45

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post
...That said, I finally read the restrictions on my own deed. Interestingly, it explicitly states no person of Arab descent is allowed on the property. Too bad I'm not Arabic.
-Paul R. Haller-
I would have liked to see someone try to enforce that one.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post
When I bought my current house I told the real estate agent," no Homeowners association, no special studies zone, no flood zone, no zone of any kind. 5 years later the county placed my home in a flood zone and my insurance was 650$ a year more then before. On calling the county they said that the area I lived in had never before been mapped. After mapping I was placed in a 3" sheet flooding zone. My mortgage co called and wanted another insurance policy placed for flood insurance. I told them to eat my shorts. After many calls and the vice president of the mortgage co called and politely told he I had to buy additional insurance but that in rare cases they would live with a one time exception. After further conversation I was indeed that one case. 10 years later the house was removed from the flood zone so I saved 6500$ over those 10 years. I pitched such a fuss they walked away from the insurance. Maybe I was just lucky.
But really folks, why would anyone buy a property that had all kinds of restrictions on its use? That's just stupid when there are properties of every kind available. That said, I finally read the restrictions on my own deed. Interestingly, it explicitly states no person of Arab descent is allowed on the property. Too bad I'm not Arabic.
-Paul R. Haller-
I had the same thing happen. I was told by the mortage company that I had to buy flood insurance and if I wanted to Challange them I would have to have my property surveyed by the Army Corp of Engineers..
I went to a map store and got a Topo map that showed the elevation of my house at 1,300 feet and the spillway of a flood control dam, a mile away, at 1,250 feet. I demanded and got a letter of apology from the lending company after turning them in to the Federal Regulators.

I'm a firm believer in the New Hampshire state motto !!!!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #47

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Live FREE or DIE!!!
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:44 PM   #48

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
I will never never never move in a home that has a home owner association again.
That is the best lesson learned out of all of this. We lived in our HOA cursed house for 15 years. We figured out that those that cannot get elected State or Federal office to try to run your life end up on the HOA board. Someone once told me that there were some people on HOA boards that weren't on a power trip and just had to give orders to others. I told him that I'm sure that there were at least two of those in the whole US.

We moved out 8 years ago, don't have an HOA and are A LOT HAPPIER. To those that like it, more power to them.

If nothing else, I don't have to listen to them tell me how they are working to protect property values. P..L...E.. A..S...E.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

From all the stories I've heard and read it does seem that HOAs can attract those who are arm chair politicians on their own little power trips.

However, when we went looking to buy a townhouse here in Arizona earlier this year we INSISTED on one with a strong HOA. Our daughter lives nearby in a three year old house. Most of her neighbors already have several families living in each house and junky cars are parked all over the place.

At this stage of my life I'll put up with what comes along with my HOA in exchange for not having a situation like my daughter's... or ham radio antennas or neighbors with their RVs parked beside their houses for that matter. Twenty years ago I would have had an entirely different point of view but I now want to live in different surroundings... and that doesn't make the decision "stupid" IMHO.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz...

That is an example of what is wrong with most HOAs. Someone with an axe to grind or a personal prejudice against something can get into office, then abuse their power to get their way (this is not to say your Dad did that).
This is exactly what is right and that was the point. If it was just his "axe" to grind he wouldn't have been elected by 35 families let alone over 350, and re- elected for at least 10 years.

What do you do, just accept what's written by some developer and live with it regardless of how the majority feels? THATS often the problem.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:21 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would never live in one of those areas! When I built my home the first thing that I ask about was deed restrictions, if they had them I moved elsewhere!
The new American Nazi Party is alive and well!
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
From all the stories I've heard and read it does seem that HOAs can attract those who are arm chair politicians on their own little power trips.

However, when we went looking to buy a townhouse here in Arizona earlier this year we INSISTED on one with a strong HOA. Our daughter lives nearby in a three year old house. Most of her neighbors already have several families living in each house and junky cars are parked all over the place.

At this stage of my life I'll put up with what comes along with my HOA in exchange for not having a situation like my daughter's... or ham radio antennas or neighbors with their RVs parked beside their houses for that matter. Twenty years ago I would have had an entirely different point of view but I now want to live in different surroundings... and that doesn't make the decision "stupid" IMHO.

Rick
To each his own:
I'll take the RVs parked beside the house; and the junk cars in the yard; as to the several families in one home(city codes will take care of that problem). Don't they live where they have city code inforcement? most places do.
I don't want someone telling me what kind of flowers i can plant in my yard; my grass can only be 1 inch to 1 an1/2 inch tall and no more; when and what color I can paint my house; this list goes on and on and on.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #53

It appears that the HOA issue has a rather strong anti-HOA slant, if you don't like them, fine don't move in. All I can say is, I've lived in HOA developments for the past 45 years and wouldn't want it any other way. My monthly HOA fee is $145, which covers fertilizing, weed control and mowing my grass, bush trimming, fall leaf removal, drive and walkway snow removal, maintenance of the clubhouse (indoor swimming pool, exercise facility, meeting rooms, etc.) also maintenance of all common areas. I never had any desire to have my motorhome parked permanently in my driveway. I have a heated, secure storage facility across the street from a RV repair/maintenance facility to store my motorhome, the cost about the same as the HOA fee. ----------to each his own
Old 05-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #54

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The list here at the S&B
  1. No RVs
  2. No Trailers
  3. No tractors/mowers
  4. No "large vehicles"
  5. No grass higher than 6"
  6. No "obnoxious weeds"
  7. No Yard art
  8. No "old cars"
  9. No less than 25 trees (2.5 acre lots)
  10. No more than 3 pets (no more than 2 of a certain species)
  11. No toolsheds (unless at least 400sq ft and matching the color and theme of house)
  12. No gravel driveways
  13. No "home businesses"

And those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head

For my $45/mo I get.....
  1. Trash service
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #55

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Before you buy read the rules, don't buy if you don't want to follow the rules. When we lived in a moble home park a home owner wanted to put a 10' dish and park his 23' 5er. We all let him park the 5er and he did a nice job to hide it with landscape. Couple years later he wanted to buy a 38' and got up set and put his place up for sale when we all wouldn't let him. Give an inch take a mile still holds.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a problem with authority, plain and simple, much less a bunch of tin horn wannabes on a HOA.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote