Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #57

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I have a problem with authority, plain and simple, much less a bunch of tin horn wannabes on a HOA.
X2

mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
No HOA, we moved into a 14 year old pretty private street little more than a year ago. The builder HAD a BUYLAWS set up for the time he was building. Anyway, we are the 2nd owns of this house, and we signed for the house we did not get any papers of a FOA or saw any BUYLAWS. It was six months in the house until we parked our 35 ft Bounder in our driveway loading up for trip (we have storage else where). We had plans on taking few short trips and even one gone for two weeks and than back to a few short trips that would have us parked in our drive way in front of our side loading garage for about three months, still room to get are cars in and out. our good neighbors drive was next to ours and our doors faced each other. This couple was old enough not to have kids but had built the house 2007 3750sqft , when I pulled up the first day HE was out side and asked him what he thought about me parking it at home during the next few months while we took our trips. He didn't care and it would bother him at all.
COOL... Until
Our two week trip was packing up and needed to pull MH into street to hook up trailer that carries my SMARTCARTRAILER. I was in the couch just putting things away when a police car past me and kept driving. A few minutes later he came and past me a parked along the curb in front of the MH. At this time I was standing at the trailer with my smart car loaded and they seemed to want info on my car. After a few minutes they said they got a call from someone saying a LARGE TRUCK Of some type was park on the street and needed to be checked out. The police asked me about HOA and I said NO. So he said someone must have called who didn't like it. He sad I wasn't breaking any law and I could park on the street but YOURS neighbor might not like it.
They left and walking down the street came two people from three/four house up holding some builder BUYLAWS. trying to get me to read about rv parking, I told them what the police said and that I will be leaving in the morning for two weeks but that I would be bringing it back in my drive off and on as needed.
I now pull the rv in backward and load trailer and car so we can drive out in the mornings. funny when I read the buy laws that boats and trailer are ok , seems like the people across the street who live on water see it one way.. that's ok they can't move and sell, no one will by a house for 900,000 when they see a MH in someone's drive. The boats don't bother me, but they don't seem to use them that often. Sorry so long

Old 05-20-2011, 08:13 PM   #59

Texas passed some new laws restricting HOA's in the current legislature, I believe. A very wise man once told me that if you want your political actions and votes to be effective, concentrate on the HOA and the school board elections. Those are the people who really affect your life.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikron View Post
Before you buy read the rules, don't buy if you don't want to follow the rules.
Good theory. But what happens when the neighborhood votes in an HOA after you already own it?
Old 05-21-2011, 07:17 AM   #61

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send the Homeowner's assn a bill for all the time you have spent convincing them you have permission from day 1 for an RV on your prperty, bill at 150.00/hr... If they don't pay take them to court. Ask for both an injunction and compensation for the time spent (same billing rate but add 10 hours for the court time)
Old 05-21-2011, 07:25 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
Texas passed some new laws restricting HOA's in the current legislature, I believe. A very wise man once told me that if you want your political actions and votes to be effective, concentrate on the HOA and the school board elections. Those are the people who really affect your life.

There are some new laws on the floor of the legislature, but nothing has passed yet. The new law will pertain to installing generators, ham radio antennas and flag poles and nothing else.

With the usual speed out crooked legislatures operate, it will never happen.

Ken
Old 05-21-2011, 02:20 PM   #63

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
...Our daughter lives nearby in a three year old house. Most of her neighbors already have several families living in each house and junky cars are parked all over the place...
Curious. Most urban AZ communities have zoning restrictions that should address those issues. Living in Tempe and Scottsdale is almost as bad as having an HOA, the main difference being enforcement is equally applied and personal vendetta's are rarely a factor.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Curious. Most urban AZ communities have zoning restrictions that should address those issues. Living in Tempe and Scottsdale is almost as bad as having an HOA, the main difference being enforcement is equally applied and personal vendetta's are rarely a factor.
I imagine that Tempe and Scottsdale are pretty tightly controlled... but Buckeye, Az sure isn't. I don't know what kind of zoning laws they may or maynot have on the books but they have serious problems enforcing laws concerning serious crime so I doubt they pay much attention to multiple families sharing a home.... even if these families are prone to loud parties and throwing empty beer cans over the fence into our daughter's yard.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #65

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I imagine that Tempe and Scottsdale are pretty tightly controlled... but Buckeye, Az sure isn't. I don't know what kind of zoning laws they may or maynot have on the books but they have serious problems enforcing laws concerning serious crime so I doubt they pay much attention to multiple families sharing a home.... even if these families are prone to loud parties and throwing empty beer cans over the fence into our daughter's yard.

Rick
Buckeye has experienced a phenomenal population growth in the past few years so it's not surprising that the police are overwhelmed. Did your daughter check the zoning laws before moving in (or since then)? Not all jurisdictions prohibit multiple families in a single dwelling, especially if there are adequate bedrooms, etc. Even the Tempe mobile home court I live in allows multiple families as long as there are adequate bedrooms.

Noise is another issue. Some communities take noise regulation more seriously than others. Even the enforcement of different kinds of noise can vary. In Tempe, loud music and parties are taken very seriously by the police since we have ASU but barking dogs are not handled by the, One has to contact animal control who has to actually hear the dog barking. Getting relief can be frustrating if a dog only barks at night since animal control normally only works during the day.

If your daughter moved into an area where noise, junk vehicles, etc. are not regulated, she is SOL. Assuming zoning laws, deed restrictions (if any), laws, etc. are in place to regulate junk vehicles, noise, and the littering, what has your daughter done to try to get relief? If the police are not dealing with it, a trip to the City AG may be in order to find out what recourse she may have.

If I were to ever move into a fixed dwelling again, it would not be where there is an HOA but I would make sure there were zoning and deed restrictions that would help prevent the situation your daughter is in. The one thing that will destroy a neighborhood faster than anything else is when people start turning homes into rentals. Deed restrictions will prevent that. Even the mobile home court I'm in will not permit subletting. I would not move into a home near or adjacent to large areas of undeveloped property unless it was already zoned residential only. Even then, there is a risk the zoning could be changed and a Super Wallyworld will move in.

Personally, once I get rid of a lifetime accumulation of "stuff," I'm going to live fulltime in a travel trailer, probably doing the snowbird thing between the East Valley and somewhere up north, possibly Flagstaff. One advantage to that will be if the neighborhood goes south, I'll be able to migrate. Once I go on medicare (my present medical insurance is effective only in AZ), I can live anywhere I please.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for your insights Ladyfitz. Our daughter will be moving this summer so the issue is resolved but the point... and the one I believe you're making... is that everyone is responsible for educating themselves on HOA or zoning laws, etc prior to purchasing. For those who have things changed by a majority vote after they've purchased... it really stinks but I'm sure it happens.

Stay safe.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:51 PM   #67
ccc

Free legal advice, from a retired attorney,
Hire a lawyer, there is a lot of conjecture here. Take all documents to him and see what the LAW is, good chance that any action against you has prescribed by passage of time. A lot cheaper than storing the MH or getting rid of it. Also, if many others in the development have the same issue, particularly over time, better for you in overturning that covenant.
ONLY one trained in law can competently ans your questions.

Evergreen RV Owners Group
ccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:02 AM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc View Post
Free legal advice, from a retired attorney,
Hire a lawyer. .
uh no.... I wouldn't want to be the one who first fired that shot. HOA's lawyer lives here, is on the board, and works for free. Mine would charge $200 an hour, in 6 minute intervals...

I just ignore them. Not like the enforcement of the HOA's rules has any teeth.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:05 AM   #69

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How is that "not looking for advice' working for ya-------
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
uh no.... I wouldn't want to be the one who first fired that shot. HOA's lawyer lives here, is on the board, and works for free. Mine would charge $200 an hour, in 6 minute intervals...

I just ignore them. Not like the enforcement of the HOA's rules has any teeth.
perfect answer: lawyers love these things they get paid; win or lose