Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #1

not looking for advice, I just have to vent

I have lived in my home more than 40 years.
I had the home built; the developer lived right across the street from the home he built for me.
When i bought the lot and home I asked him if there would be a problim of me keeping an RV beside my home. (I had a trailer at the time).
He said no problem.
After about 10 years I began to get notices from the homeowner association that I was in violation of their deed restrictions, and I was to remove my RV.
I resolved this problem with a lot of letters and threats back and forth.
The problem that I have now is every 3 to 4 years I go through the same balony.
In 2005 I got the homeowners association and management firm,to write a letter to me saying it was ok to park my motorhome beside my home.
Yesterday here comes the mamagement firm knocking at my door informing me that the association has decided to enforce all the restrictions and I must get rid of my motorhome.

Ok: I feel better now I got that of my chest.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #2

I would get rid of the house and keep the MH.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
In my housing development, the bylaws established when the development was built trump anything verbal or written by the HOA. Yours may be the same way. All it takes is 1 neighbor to cause a fuss even though others around your could care less.

On the bright side for me, our bylaws are effective for just 25 years from when the development started, unless renewed by a majority of the titled homeowners. They expire this year, so I'll be interested to see if the HOA can get enough signatures to renew the bylaws. I hope not, I need one of those 8x8 sheds to keep lawn equipment in (ran outta room in the garage) & those are a as the laws stand now.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
If you are a member of any national RV club they likely have info to help you fight it if you are inclined. Due to how long you have been there with permission to park it there, they may not be legally able to enforce "new" rules or a "new" interpretation of the rules.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Our area has the same HO Assn problem. They threaten and generally raise h** l with anybody who parks an RV for more than the three days permitted. There is one guy who has a very nice HR Endeavor who just ignores them, their lawyer and all their notices. It's been in his side yard for years.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #6

Did they have a homeowner association when you purchased your lot? If not you should be grandfathered in. On the other hand I can see their point yours maybe nice but someone else could park a junker.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #7

I would think that "letter" trumps any subsequent action by the HOA.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Our area has the same HO Assn problem. They threaten and generally raise h** l with anybody who parks an RV for more than the three days permitted. There is one guy who has a very nice HR Endeavor who just ignores them, their lawyer and all their notices. It's been in his side yard for years.
That is what I do
Old 03-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #9

Move out to Utah. You can park your ox on one side of the house and your MH on the other side. And fly a 40 foot flag in the front yard!
Old 03-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #10

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberVet65
Move out to Utah. You can park your ox on one side of the house and your MH on the other side. And fly a 40 foot flag in the front yard!
Same applies in Kansas, at least the rural areas.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:32 PM   #11

Letter may have weight

If said letter was an authorization from the management company and HOA stating you (insert name here) could park (insert description her) at (address stated here) while still lving as primary residence...blah, blah, blah...

If the letter has a legal form clearly describing you, your location and you motorhome along with a limiting factor such as as long as you live there, or own the current unit etc, then it could be seen as an exception document, much the same as I would do if I wanted to build a building taller than normal zoning allowed.

I would get a zoning variance that applies to my lot to do something different than the zoning permits.

Take your document to the local code enforcement agency, here fis as it is free, they can look up you lot in the computer to verify exactly what any given CCR or other restrictions are in place, they also can advise the status of your document and how/if the agency would enforce any rules.

You may discover the folks making noise have zero authority and are only making noise, make sure if this is the case you get documentation from the code enforcement folks.

Next is a lawyer to review your document.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:53 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
whats the penalty if you dont follow the gestapos rule.i hate when rule trump common sense.they are usually created by jealous folks who see life as a lottery rather than a work and performance path to a higher quality of life. i
brianj
Old 03-14-2011, 06:29 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Nothing that a 50 caliber early warning post can't fix.

Don't you just love neighbors? I was draining our pool into a fixed drain and there was a knock on our door. It was the city police. They indicated that I needed a permit to drain my pool even though there are no water restrictions.

Must have been a nosy neighbor who called....I just don't understand why people have to be this way.

Anyhow I politely smiled at the officer and got the permit. I guess I must have missed the handbook when we bought our home 10 years ago.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #14

Here is the sadist part of this problem:
There is three old biddies; (yes there women) that cause all the problens for me; and everyone else. they made up a patition to get rid of my motorhome and took it around the neigherhood to get people to sign it; not a single person in the whole development would sign. (I get along well with all my neighbors).
There are those that get joy out of causing other people problems. realy sad; you almost have to feel sorry for these poor demented folks.
they managed to get on the board of the association; been there for years, and years. (no one wants the job)
Please no one advise me to get on the board; I'm afraid I would do something that I would regret.