Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-16-2015, 01:37 PM   #15
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My wife and I love to travel... If we didn't have an RV...that would mean either a Hotel or a tent...tent camping, while great...leaves you at the mercy of the elements...Hotels --- well to put it mildly, I hate hotels. I'm a pilot and have spent half of my working career in hotels.

The RV is like a hotel on wheels. It can go to a lot of great places where we can enjoy the beach, bike trails, kayaking, etc... Best of all our particular RV allows pets....so we don't have to continuously drop them off at the kennel for boarding.

It's very spontaneous...we leave most items in the RV...so throw in a few clothes, stock the fridge, check the tire pressure...program the GPS...and we're off!!!

Traveling is a great time to get reacquainted with my wife...and we always have a very fun and relaxing adventure.

Hotels...well, I guess it depends on the location. But you share a bed with thousands of people you don't even know. Usually, there isn't a kitchen with a stocked fridge...no blendtec blender for making smoothies...toiletries are small items you throw in a kit...

All in all...call it what you like...RV life is the greatest!!! I still want to tent camp...but not if the forecast calls for rain. In the RV...I draw the line at tornadoes.

Charlie & Ronni plus the Sammies...Conner & Ginger.
2016 Ventana 4037
C.Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2015, 01:43 PM   #16
Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
In the RV...I draw the line at tornadoes.
And hurricanes!

2014 Newmar Bay Star 3308
Patti Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:48 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Patti Brown View Post
And hurricanes!
Man we had a tornado hit the RV park here this summer (OKC) I never even thought about it planning my trips but I will pay attention to the weather for my trip plans now and have a plan to hit the road if I think I need to, or the great thing about RVing -- go some place else !!! LOL
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:05 PM   #18
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some campgrounds especially smaller ones do indeed trade on the social aspect.. Some (including some of the smaller ones) do not.

Many of the larger ones host events but.. Alas you never really get to knwo your neighbors in a 500+ site park (Well perhaps 5 or 10 of em)

I know one such park I stay at there is a group of us that gather for coffee every morning.. roughly a dozen total.

The small park where I am now I know several of the long-termers but none of the transients and in fact not all the LT's either.

In some parks.. Well there was one park where my daughter complained "It's just a parking lot" which was true..But then I was not there for the campground, all I wanted from the CG was a place to park my RV and sleep.. I was there for other attractions (including said daughter who lived there at the time) She's a very good daughter by the way.

Sometimes I'm there for the Campground. But not often.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:12 PM   #19
We tent camped various ways for years. It has gotten to the point where if it was not for my mobility issues she would need to admit to hers. That got us into the first MH where camp setup went from hours to minutes. Now we are either traveling from somewhere to somewhere so we end up in the pull through traveler section of the campground. Not much social because not a lot of time on site outside hanging out. Then we get somewhere and look for a "social" place. Probably a back in with more room, people around, etc.

FWIW I wonder how many notice the way campgrounds separate travelers from hangers out. At least from my observation there are two zones in a lot of campgrounds. Mostly pull through sites where they send the in today gone tomorrow or the next day folks and the rest of the park with the semi permanent setups for the folks there longer term and maybe with the kids/grandkids.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:23 PM   #20
Our RV lets us get out the city. To me that's really important. We just got back from a 4 day trip. Stayed at a small campground with absolutely nothing to do. Loved it! We were 8 miles from our favorite trout fishing stream. We could come and go from campsite to fishing site as many times a day as it took to get our limit. Campsite plus fishing fees was $20 a day.

With the RV we can cook some great meals. We can watch TV if and when we want. We can just sit if that's what we feel like.

We've met some nice people on our limited journeys, but have enjoyed spending evenings making strangers into friends. We'll be looking one couple up when we get to South Texas this December.

We're ready for our first extended trip, four months. We're anxious to get going, but also a little anxious about being gone so long from home.We're volunteering at a National Wildlife Refuge and are looking forward to new experiences .

Neither my wife nor I ever thought we have an RV, but so far it's been great for us. As many before have said, "To each his own."
Bill Lubben
2014 Tiffin Open Road 35 QBA
2013 Honda CR-V
BillL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:36 PM   #21
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thoroughly enjoying reading about the many different reasons people have their RV's! For me, dry camping is where it's at. RV parks are only used for overnighting while traveling, washing clothes, or a place to park while seeing the sights in an area.

Give me a forest setting with high elevation and cool temperatures where very few people happen by, sitting under the awning reading a good book, with numerous long walks for my dog! I love the serenity, grilling almost every evening, and the "white noise" of a slight breeze going through the treetops, .

Campgrounds? Nah..! I can see where people become disenchanted with RV's if that's all they experience.
Ken & Jeannie
96 Vectra Grand Tour 35' DP
Jacey (terri-poo, waiting at the rainbow bridge), Jack (silky terrier)
Big Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:53 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Simply.........when we are at home..........we are always working hard around the house. When we are in our Coach........we relax.
We are relaxing right now for a month...........This photo is right from our chair's.........They love Mango!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07668.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	109728  
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:03 PM   #23
During our 16 years of full-timing, public parks or boondocking were always our first choices. We love the trees, streams and lakes that public parks offer. We don't need hookups and could go about 12 days without having to dump and refill our tanks. By that time, we're ready to move on to a new spot.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:29 PM   #24
Tiffin Owners Club
Been camping just about all my life. For me it is an escape from job stress and from have-to-do's at home base. The minute we are in the mh and start the engine, my mind forgets all that other stuff. We sometimes travel with a group of rving friends, go to rallies and have a great time. Other times it is just the two of us and our dog. Life couldn't be better!

We boondock at the races, we camp in COE parks, we camp in rv parks, and we have camped in rv resorts. Every place has its charms. No matter where we stop or for how long, we take the dog out to walk and meet people. We have made many lifelong friends over the years. We make an effort to get together once a year somewhere (like on an upcoming trip we will be at the Gulf Coast with some friends from Arizona). It is simply a wonderful way to get together and still be able to sleep in my own bed, read a book when I want to, sit outside and pet the dog if I want to, and just enjoy life.
Mel (Melanie) and Harry
2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:35 PM   #25
We mix things up. We were at 3 different campgrounds this summer. 2 within a half hour of the house and the other about 2 hours. All were very nice and we knew the owners and many other campers at 2 of the places. We usually go as a group as all 3 of our adult kids have campers as well. It's a family affair so it's always fun times.

I do a bit of bbq catering and did 2 outdoor weddings where we dry camped on site. Both places were beautiful. One old farm homestead and the other a beautiful log home on acreage out in the woods.

Also catered a employee appreciation party at a beautiful state park in Wisconsin. We also have a friend who has a beautiful spacious lake place where we camped on his property 2 weekends this summer.

If we go out of town to visit relatives for the weekend we take the mh even though they have room to put us up in the house. It's nice to have your "own place" to go to even when you're not there.

We have even driveway camped at our own house. Seems if we entertain at home during the summer the party winds up sitting under the mh awning enjoying adult beverages. Once everyone leaves the dw the dog and I just go in the mh and go to bed rather than walk to the house.

2005 Coachmen Leprechaun 292 with 2 slides.
Up North is offline   Reply With Quote