Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2015, 06:49 AM   #1

Not understanding modern camping...

We have a DP. But usually only go camping in it once a year. But we go to the race track with it weekly just about during nice weather. It just makes life at the track a lot nicer!

But that one time that we go camping in the fall, I am starting to have trouble understanding the attraction. We generally go to a park, and the campsites are large and we do a lot of hiking. And we see a lot of people there who do the same. Weekend warriors perhaps.

We looked into doing that weekend in a real RV park. The lots are tiny! You are right next to your neighbor it seems. You get to hear their dogs, their cars/trucks, their kids and their conversations. At one time this camping thing was about getting back to nature and enjoying the great outdoors. We got to an age where tent camping just really wasn't our thing. But now it seems like the crowds stay in their campers most of the time, and the kids play their digital games on the couch and watch movies. We could do that at home. In fact, we don't have any neighbors at home!

Maybe I am missing the social aspect. We generally don't know the folks around us. If we went as a group, maybe we would sing KumBya around the campfire....if we could find open space for a campfire. Maybe we spend so much time outdoors at home that camping doesn't really seem like camping.

Help me understand the fun we are missing now. Where can you go camping today and have it be special? Great views and big lots. I dont' care about a swimming pool and an arcade. Are national parks really our best bet?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2015, 07:10 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
In my mind, there is camping and traveling. When I go camping, I generally stay in state or federal area, maybe a National Forest. We know we can go without hookups fo a week, so I don't worry about the amenities much. I check them out ahead of time to see how much space there is between the sites since I value that too. While camping I generally cook mostly outside using Dutch ovens or a Coleman stove. While camping, the attractions are in the area and around the campsite. When I am traveling, I really only care about finding a flat space to spend the night. I like hookups, a cell signal, and even cable tv. My interests when traveling are outside the trailer, either to hit the road again or to visit a specific area. For example, we will have more than a week in Long Beach in January for multiple reasons. That is a traveling trip, and our trailer is basically our motel room (but much, much nicer!). I definitely wouldn't call it camping, but it will be a nice trip even then.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:29 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The allure of "camping" is different for folks depending on many things.

For people that already live in "the country" it may not be as appealing unless you can find perfect spots.

For us city folks just getting away from the house and the " to do " list can be relaxing. I'm of the mindset that as long as I'm with the rv and family there are no bad spots. Out favorite spot for now is only 30 minutes from home and right on the water. (see pic)

In Oklahoma many of the cities have their own RV/camping parks and they can be fairly nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kids.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	432.7 KB
ID:	109715  
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:32 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
My reason for camping is, not having a lake to fish out of at the home. That is why the COE and state parks are more of an attraction to us . When traveling we find that dealing with noisy motels is not much different then an overcrowded camp ground. Then theirs the dog issue with motels. I consider the crowded camp ground experience that you describe not much different then a motel room for the night. Would not classify this as camping but an alternative to motels when traveling with the ability to stay in my own bed.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:54 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We're relatively new to the whole RVing thing ... but having been tied down to a single geographic location while we worked day gigs, raised children and cared for aging parents and relatives - we've long dreamed of being able to travel and see parts of the country that for us, existed only in pictures.

Now that we're coming up on our own retirement - we've purchased our coach and have started to travel regularly. Having learned that I can actually work my day gig from the coach - has simply allowed us to start traveling for longer periods sooner than we expected.

Our typical stays in any one place are 3-5 days. We usually look to stay in State or County parks whenever possible. Our coach's 100 gal fresh/60 gal gray/40 gal black tank system makes a 3-5 day stay without water/sewer hookups not much of a problem. As long as a park can provide a 30 amp electrical service - we can be pretty happy.

When we're parked - we pursue a more or less "normal" lifestyle. I work my day gig, ride my bicycle, spend time walking with my DW ... we typically do a little sightseeing around wherever we happen to be .. and enjoy taking care of everyday life chores (cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc.) more or less together.

The regularly changing scenery alone is enough to make us love this lifestyle! The meeting new folks is just an added bonus!
Old 10-16-2015, 08:44 AM   #6

We RV some (do most things inside) and camp some (do most things - cooking, eating and relaxing outside). These are my definitions but whichever we do, I find the thing I enjoy most is interacting with my fellow campers. After our recent trip, we discovered that is easier in some parts of the country and harder in others depending on how friendly folks are.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:47 AM   #7

Great posts! It's great to see what others do and how they enjoy RV'ing!
Old 10-16-2015, 09:17 AM   #8

We pretty much stay away from the RV parks for the reason you mention. We do not depend on hook ups for the most part, always out in the desert or up in the Sierra's, away from the rest of the people. We do not watch TV or play electronic games, waste of time. If I want to do that then why not stay home? It is not easy to get away from the crowds around my area which is why we drive far to do it. Any some what local RV park is a packed place with a bunch of noisy rif raf in my opinion who own an RV for totally different reasons than me.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:42 AM   #9

Not understanding modern camping...

And it is "each to their own way".
We tented in the middle of forests, carried water, chopped wood, cooked on the campfire, picked berries, dug pit toilets, hiked, fished, hunted, explored, and enjoyed every bit of it. For over 25 years this was our adventure. Then we got an RV.
Now, we cook on the campfire, pick berries, hike, fish, explore, and enjoye every bit of it. But we love full hookups in parks we carefully select.
Let the Journey be Your Destination!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:44 AM   #10

For us, rv parks are for overnight stays during our travels when the camper is just our hotel room on wheels. Other than a visit to the pool, or a meal on the grill, most of our time is chillin on the couch.
When not traveling, we are camping in state/national parks. That's when the camper turns into a place for naps and washing off the grime. The rest of the time we are hiking, playing on the paddleboards, enjoying the view, or staring into the flames of a good campfire.

One caveat...during college football season. Home games, we set up at a lake near campus. For away games, you will find us inside the camper making more noise than any dog or child for at least three hours on Saturday.

GO POKES!!
jrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:20 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
We are like most "campers". BUT. We started in tents with the kids, went to a trailer, to a Class C, to a Class A. Then discovered we couldn't get to some of the nature places due to the size of the "camper" Going back to a 23 foot Class B+ that we need due to some health problems will allow us to get back to nature rather than $40 to $60 a night "campgrounds" We both were National Park Rangers in Denali, AK and still tented into our 60's. But, to each his own.
AKmtnpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:20 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We go out once a month with a group - usually ~15 RVs. Differing CG each month - sometimes resort like with all the amenities, sometimes the other end of the CG spectrum. We also go off-reading with groups and the Jeep - sometimes dry camping in the desert, sometimes at a CG.

Just getting away, the comradery of the group/friends, seeing the sites, etc. are whys.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:06 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
And it is "each to their own way".
... we love full hookups in parks we carefully select.
Let the Journey be Your Destination!
EXACTLY! There are fabulous RV parks that are like vacationing in paradise but without the concerns of bedbugs and other room hygiene issues. I got "roughing it" out of my system long ago. Now I want comfort (unless I am infield at a NASCAR race, and that is a different thing altogether! ).

Even though we can sit on the porch at home and watch sunsets over the water as lovely (or more so) than any out there, it isn't until I am AWAY from home that I can really relax with DH and not continually feel like there is something else I need to be doing (like cleaning, or paperwork, or home maintenance tasks). RVing provides important quality "us" time; it is not done for the social group interactions or other activities, although we do participate in and enjoy some of them. And the added benefit is, we get to take our miniature Schnauzer along! She loves the RV.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:32 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
The allure of "camping" is different for folks depending on many things.

For people that already live in "the country" it may not be as appealing unless you can find perfect spots.

For us city folks just getting away from the house and the " to do " list can be relaxing. I'm of the mindset that as long as I'm with the rv and family there are no bad spots. Out favorite spot for now is only 30 minutes from home and right on the water. (see pic)

In Oklahoma many of the cities have their own RV/camping parks and they can be fairly nice.
Thunderbird? Eufaula? LOL We are planning a trip early spring maybe even late winter to Beavers Bend. I have lived here all my life and never been. In the new RV it will be a hoot. Bike riding and a little Kayak Fishing.!!!
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping