Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-18-2015, 12:03 PM   #15
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Best guess is mold.. RV's often sit, not used and can develop mold issues. There are ways to deal with it but for one that is more than a few years old Mold would be my guess.. If it's brand new then there are nastier guesses. but I'll go with mold for now.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2015, 03:01 PM   #16
Fleetwood Owners Club
Nothing to sneeze at??

When I was young I had some serious allergies and was finally tested when in high school (my parents were a little slow on the up take!). One of the tests consisted of setting Petri dishes around the house and taking them back to the doctor sealed so they could see what would culture. The suggestion of talking to an allergist is a sound one. While you state this has occurred over multiple different units, I would venture there are many commonalities to all of them.

Harold & Laura Buck
2000 Fleetwood Flair
AZGypsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:37 PM   #17
Vintage RV Owners Club
Sorry but I don't have a suggestion. Just my hope that you find the cause and/or solution soon. What a gut-drop you all must have at the beginning of what should be a family fun time. The very best of luck to you.
26' 1991 Class C Ford Tioga Arrow
DW, 2 Shih Tzu furkids and me
Youtube Channel: "https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCJ...vVa8upNDtZ2dZg
CaptainGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:41 PM   #18
It's often very difficult to track what causes allergies. Mine are annoying rather than a major problem. Every morning, after getting up, I sneeze like crazy for about 90 minutes, even developing nose-bleeding.

I've been visiting allergists for over 30 years and none of them have been able to pin-point what's causing the problem, which occurs in the S&B just as often as it did in the RV.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:03 PM   #19
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I would contact an environmentalist and get an air quality test done.
If there are mold spores present, this test will confirm mold is somewhere in the RV.
Does it happen when the air conditioners are in use? This could be a key factor.
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:30 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Could be certain resins used in the gel coat or fiberglass. Could be styrofoam insulation. The possibilities are endless. Although most off gassing occurs early on in the life of an rv, they can still give off chemicals years later especially when closed up and stored for long periods of time in high heat environments. Even an 80 degree day can put the temps inside an rv through the roof when stored and cause many products used to build them to off gass into a very small concentrated area.
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:42 AM   #21
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by trode View Post
Here's what doesn't make sense about all the above responses. This has occurred in EVERY rv I have owned, 3 TT's and this motorhome. All have been stored in different places, in different circumstances. It happens where ever we are as soon as she returns to the rv. Thought of some things that I have changed, i.e. toilet chemicals, soaps, etc.. still happens whenever she gets in.

Hard to think mold has been in all 4 rv's in adequate concentration, and not new units, and no new carpet or components... keep ideas coming.
So... not being accusatory, just analytical... the common denominator is you and how you use your rig(s). Do you control humidity? We noticed that just our breathing and running the heat was causing the humidity to rise, especially at night. That's really all mold needs to thrive. We purchased an over-sized dehumidifier and run to maintain 45-55% humidity (that's what the wood trim likes).

Want to poke around and look for mold? In our rig, there is a metal cover (which is uninsulated) under the closet in the back which is directly over the engine (take out the drawers to find). Look anywhere where the heat of the inside and the cold of the outside are closest to interacting. Another spot is around the windshield and under the dash.

If you find it, although the EPA would say to get a mold abatement contractor (yeah, right), I just used Windex Multi-Surface and lots of paper towels. Heavily spray an area and, after only one pass, out the door it went into a plastic trashbag. Yes, it made for several rolls of paper towels and even more trips from the spot to outside the rig... but I felt confident that that was the best way to trap and remove without releasing. For example, folding over and making another pass might have had the possibility of disturbing and releasing the previously wiped proceeds.

Anyway, dehumidifier in the winter set to 45-55% did the trick. Actually, in the summer in very warm, humid climates, I've found the dehumidifier also helps the AC units control the temps better. So I run it year-round.

Note: I'm not recommending someone else do their own mold removal... I'm just telling you what I did. Ultimately, I didn't really want to put that part of the story in writing but, for the good of future readers, I felt it more important to make it clear that just dehumidifying without removing could result in the releasing of now dried mold spores. So... find the mold, purchase and plug in the dehumidifier and immediately get the mold out before it has time to dry out.

2004 Damon Escaper LX400 4194
40' Diesel Pusher
Cummins ISL
blang is online now   Reply With Quote