Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2015, 10:42 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Nothing to sneeze at??

Here is something that has confounded me for years, we have experienced it in several RV's over the years. Currently happening in my 2004 National Sea Breeze, my daughter begins to have sneezing and runny nose within minutes of being in the rv, we first noticed this many years ago in an Nomad travel trailer, then in 2 subsequent Sunnybrook TT's and now in the Sea Breeze, and now apparently effects our grandson too.

Literally within minutes of entering the coach the runny nose and sneezing start if she doesn't take an antihisthamine first. I have talked with RV dealers over the years about this and they say possibly chemicals in the carpets, or paneling are responsible. However, she has carpeting and wood products in her home that don't make her sneeze, and am at a loss to understand this. No other family members are effected in the same manner, and she has no known allergies either.

Anyone else have this experience?

trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2015, 10:47 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
She and your grandson should go see an allergy doctor. They can do tests to see what they're allergic to.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post
Here is something that has confounded me for years, we have experienced it in several RV's over the years. Currently happening in my 2004 National Sea Breeze, my daughter begins to have sneezing and runny nose within minutes of being in the rv, we first noticed this many years ago in an Nomad travel trailer, then in 2 subsequent Sunnybrook TT's and now in the Sea Breeze, and now apparently effects our grandson too.

Literally within minutes of entering the coach the runny nose and sneezing start if she doesn't take an antihisthamine first. I have talked with RV dealers over the years about this and they say possibly chemicals in the carpets, or paneling are responsible. However, she has carpeting and wood products in her home that don't make her sneeze, and am at a loss to understand this. No other family members are effected in the same manner, and she has no known allergies either.

Anyone else have this experience?
Just a guess, but could be mold. RVs are more prone than stick and brick. I am an environmental lawyer and get calls from a lot of mold sensitive people. Sneezing and bloody noses are often mentioned. Off-gassing from new RVs could certainly affect a chemically sensitive person, but that should subside after some months or a few years of new.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:51 AM   #4

A 2004 should have finished off gassing by now, unless new carpet, vinyl, etc was installed recently. The mold idea is one that I would run with along with other environmental issues ie pollen. Not sure where your RV is kept or where you are camped when they visit but the cubic space in an RV is more concentrated and allows less change of air. I had a friend who had the issue in cars when the pine pollen dropped turning cars yellow. He could walk outside with little issues but at that time of year riding inside the car would trigger his reactions.

Mike
Old 12-17-2015, 11:58 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Could be related to where/how you store your RV between trips. We store ours in a local storage facility under roof and with large garage doors, but the walls between the storage bays go from floor to about 15 or so feet and then stop. This means that there are no physical barriar between the individual bays from the top of the walls to the peak of the roof. Some of the people who rent in this place do work inside their bays, which creates dust particles.

If you have a similar situation, that could be the source. We keep our RV closed up with no windows open, and still we accumulate dust indoors. It's not a lot, but it is enough. My wife gets pretty stuffed up the first night when she sleeps in the RV but if we open the window at night, problem solved.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:15 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Good Ideas, but

Here's what doesn't make sense about all the above responses. This has occurred in EVERY rv I have owned, 3 TT's and this motorhome. All have been stored in different places, in different circumstances. It happens where ever we are as soon as she returns to the rv. Thought of some things that I have changed, i.e. toilet chemicals, soaps, etc.. still happens whenever she gets in.

Hard to think mold has been in all 4 rv's in adequate concentration, and not new units, and no new carpet or components... keep ideas coming.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:51 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I got it!
She's allergic to ...wait for it...

Fun!
Old 12-17-2015, 07:36 PM   #8

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Cat or dog?
Old 12-17-2015, 09:44 PM   #9

Dust.