Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2015, 04:46 PM   #15

Now I know why I want to fulltime!

Not wanting a S&B home is not a dream for all folks, even for most folks. I ain't most folks.
I am living 2x better out on the Rainbow than I did previously. It's the freedom of the lifestyle, and higher positive cash flow that make it financially attractive.....and the "house" money is still growing!
And the funds for the RV(s) are financially tagged as "sunk funds", not an investment.
Having the Journey as my Destination is the culmination of a 46 year old dream!
Yes, I grin in my sleep.
YMMV

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2015, 04:52 PM   #16

It is all comparative to where you live. In some places the housing market is appreciating quite well, and those that weathered the storm are very happy and making a nice profit. Our houses have made us a lot more money( and of course just like stocks its all on paper until you sell) than any of our other savings accounts or investments have in the last two years. Also the tax write off on a MH is no where near what you would get from a house. But like said everyone has their preferences and reasons behind how they choose to do it. Full timing would be fun but would never work for us as we are too attached to our grandkids and their activities.

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:54 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
LeeSusan - what you will find is that most full timers are pretty laid back. Some have loads of money, some have little. In either case - it's not about the money and that's what you may be getting at.

As for money - it's certainly not inexpensive to full time, part time or vacation time with an RV. But neither money, nor things can buy or guarantee happiness. What I have seen so far in my short time full timing and over the years of knowing full timers - they are all at a minimum - as happy as any S&B owner I have ever know. Folks do come off the road and my anecdotal evidence indicates it's a sad time and tough decision. Often health related or brought on by family situations. Neither here nor there.

For us, we did not want to live where we were. Finding a new home somewhere else via seeing the country and trying places out made sense.

We don't know where we will end up or when. Maybe we will just ride through the wide open country that we love until we pull over and park it. Who knows. But it is nice not to have an anchor dragging us back to a place that provided a good living but isn't a retirement area by any stretch of the imagination. (DFW area).
Keep pondering it and mulling it over. Be open minded and laid back about it. What's right for folks changes with time, age and position in life. Just make the best of everything. Life is short. Your retirement years are even shorter.

Steve and Annie
RVM2
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:59 PM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
LeeSusan - what you will find is that most full timers are pretty laid back. Some have loads of money, some have little. In either case - it's not about the money and that's what you may be getting at.

As for money - it's certainly not inexpensive to full time, part time or vacation time with an RV. But neither money, nor things can buy or guarantee happiness. What I have seen so far in my short time full timing and over the years of knowing full timers - they are all at a minimum - as happy as any S&B owner I have ever know. Folks do come off the road and my anecdotal evidence indicates it's a sad time and tough decision. Often health related or brought on by family situations. Neither here nor there.

For us, we did not want to live where we were. Finding a new home somewhere else via seeing the country and trying places out made sense.

We don't know where we will end up or when. Maybe we will just ride through the wide open country that we love until we pull over and park it. Who knows. But it is nice not to have an anchor dragging us back to a place that provided a good living but isn't a retirement area by any stretch of the imagination. (DFW area).
Keep pondering it and mulling it over. Be open minded and laid back about it. What's right for folks changes with time, age and position in life. Just make the best of everything. Life is short. Your retirement years are even shorter.

Steve and Annie
RVM2

Well said Steve!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:02 PM   #19

Spot on, Steve!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain
Doing that!!!!!

Old 03-24-2015, 05:05 PM   #20

Now I know why I want to fulltime!

Fulltime does not mean we don't see family. They are all over the country!
And Skype is pretty nifty for the times in between.
And I have no tax write offs anymore. Debt elimination, capital goods divestiture, etc.
I pulled the plug!!!!

Old 03-24-2015, 05:11 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
It is all comparative to where you live. In some places the housing market is appreciating quite well, and those that weathered the storm are very happy and making a nice profit. Our houses have made us a lot more money( and of course just like stocks its all on paper until you sell) than any of our other savings accounts or investments have in the last two years. Also the tax write off on a MH is no where near what you would get from a house. But like said everyone has their preferences and reasons behind how they choose to do it. Full timing would be fun but would never work for us as we are too attached to our grandkids and their activities.
Money. So they say.... LOL.
Those lucky enough to pay cash for a home - or have very large down payments usually do pretty well. As you say... location, location, location.

Those with 0, 3, 5 - 10, 20% down and 30 year terms will likely pay 3 x's the loan amount (Wild Assumption) - the will take interest from taxes - pay upgrades and maintenence, property taxes, and insurace. At the end you get more back - than the loan amount - but most people never know or think about how much they actually put into the house. You hear "I paid 100k and got $300k - or thereabouts. Some do much better - some worse. Some can't get out and end in foreclosure. Times have changed on making $ in real property as others have suggested.

Bottom line on full time RV living. It's not free but it's a hoot!
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:20 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Money. So they say.... LOL.
Those lucky enough to pay cash for a home - or have very large down payments usually do pretty well. As you say... location, location, location.

Times have changed on making $ in real property as others have suggested.

Bottom line on full time RV living. It's not free but it's a hoot!
All I can say is real estate has really worked very well for us, probably due to location more than anything else. And I do know and keep records of what money I put into it/ and what I get out money wise, and if you do it right it works. But like you we plan on using our MH to travel for a few months at a time, and look for where we would love to live, even though we have it pretty good here. When we find that place, our next move would be to sell everything and help our kids move with us. For us having a house to come home to is money well spent and invested.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:07 PM   #23

You have done well and have justified your lifestyle. Me too

Old 03-24-2015, 06:21 PM   #24

I do believe that for a large number of full timers it is the NO TIES thing that has them completely get rid of all those worldly possessions. "Home is where I park it" not scattered around in cardboard boxes here and there. It is a mind set. Some arrive there and some never could in a thousand years.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:44 PM   #25

For us, money was not the issue, important to some degree, but a low percentage of the decision process.
Our Family, on the other hand was a very high percentage of our decision, as they are scattered all over the country. And only getting to see them for a weekend once or twice a year was just not acceptable ..... After my wife heard me complain one too many times about not seeing my grand kids enough, her recommendation was exactly what we did..... sell everything, buy our Bus and spend 3 or 4 months at a time .... and believe me I'd much rather spend my time having grand kids up on my lap then doing yard work. Sure, I could have hired it out .... but why have to deal with it at all ......
One of the first things I picked up on joining this most awesome group of folks is that hardly any of us have the same priorities, the same reasons we've changed up our lifestyles, whether it be full timers or not. And that is inclusive to the Bus we bought, the insurance we get, where we like to stay and so on. We're all on a different journey, with different objects, different destinations & different things we want to do or see .... but thankfully together ......
I do however have a question for LeeSusan ... very respectfully, if you find all of this so objectionable, why are you here ???? Certainly if only to understand where all these crazies are coming from .... so be it. Or to find a convincing reason to join us, then you'll likely find little nuggets in each of our stories that could be put together to help your dream make sense.

"That's all I have to say about that"

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:45 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd just like to know how you got your entire a/c and heat system replaced for $6,000 Joe??? We paid over twice that 4 years ago, and in Houston it is worth every penny.

As for full-timing, it's definitely not for everyone. I don't care about investments good or bad; if I did we wouldn't own an RV at all. That said, I love to leave on a trip, and I LOVE to come back home.

Our RV is fun, but if we sold it tomorrow I wouldn't really care. Our home... we're keeping. HVAC repairs and all.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:48 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal1phx View Post
...I do however have a question for LeeSusan ... very respectfully, if you find all of this so objectionable, why are you here ???? Certainly if only to understand where all these crazies are coming from .... so be it. Or to find a convincing reason to join us, then you'll likely find little nuggets in each of our stories that could be put together to help your dream make sense.

"That's all I have to say about that"
I'm not LeeSusan, but I will say that iRV2 is for ALL RVers, not just full timers. LeeSusan is probably here for the same reason I am here; we have an interest in RVing.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:50 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Holy Cow, Joe, I paid that to have the Aqua-Hot heating and hot water system replaced in my coach with a rebuilt unit back in 2005/6.

It's only money and you won't see a Brinks truck behind anyone's funeral procession!

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Tags
fulltime